Turn Off Ads?
Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Official waiver trade deadline thread (Sept. 30)

Re: Official waiver trade deadline thread (August 31)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Team made no MLB acquisitions all season, zero. The closest is Zach Duke who has risen from the minor leagues.
    It is very bizarre.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Latos Deal > (All these midseason Pirates deals)^2
    Or ^1.8 depending on which Pythagorean you prefer
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Except the stats show that it isn't.

The Pirates' OPS at first base this year has been better as a whole than Morneau's production.
    Did you not bother to read the other stats posted?

Entering the day, Pirates left-handed hitters had a .229 batting average, .296 on-base percentage and .694 OPS. The former two ranked worst in the majors. The latter ranked seventh-worst.

Morneau is a particularly potent bat against right-handed pitching, with a .281/.343/.488 slashline.

He also provides slightly better defense at first base than the Pirates had been getting. He has four Defensive Runs Saved this season. The Pirates first basemen have combined for -3 Defensive Runs Saved.
    They needed a lefty. They got one. Then needed to improve the D at first. They did that. Is he going to replace ALL of the 1B production? No, but they're not planning on him doing so either.

5. Likes:

Old school 1983 (08-31-2013)

Let me chime in here for just a sec. I love these moves. Dilson Herrera is a solid prospect, who I didn't like losing, but all in all, there is little risk in these deals from the Pirates' perspective.

I think that Byrd upgrades right field, which was a black hole for the Bucs. Buck provides insurance in case Martin gets injured. Pirates needed a back up catcher with McKenry going down.

As for Morneau, I agree, in terms of stats, he doesn't provide much of an upgrade. But, what he does do is rake against right handers. If he can be the left hand side of a platoon with Gaby Sanchez, who has been mashing lefties, and push Garret Jones into a platoon with Bryd in right field, it's a net upgrade at both positions.

7. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2013),Revering4Blue (08-31-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post

They needed a lefty. They got one. Then needed to improve the D at first. They did that. Is he going to replace ALL of the 1B production? No, but they're not planning on him doing so either.
    Those two slash lines in the last quote aren't the same, anyway we could see apples to apples?

The production the Pirates have gotten from their first basemen (all of them combined) is a better OPS than Morneau.

If Morneau is coming to be a starter, it is not an upgrade because his overall production will be no better than the platoon they already have in place. If he's coming to be a part-time platoon player, than it is only a very moderate upgrade.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The production the Pirates have gotten from their first basemen (all of them combined) is a better OPS than Morneau.

If Morneau is coming to be a starter, it is not an upgrade because his overall production will be no better than the platoon they already have in place. If he's coming to be a part-time platoon player, than it is only a very moderate upgrade.
    I'm trying to say it's not a 1 player replacing 1 player situation. He's going to play 1st most likely, yes. But they're not going to just bench Jones.

Read IABucFan's post. His explains it better IMO. He fills 2 voids (hitting against RHP and 1b defense) and forces a player to move to another position which improves THAT position too.

11. Likes:

mth123 (08-31-2013),Old school 1983 (09-01-2013),powersackers (08-31-2013)

I'm trying to say it's not a 1 player replacing 1 player situation. He's going to play 1st most likely, yes. But they're not going to just bench Jones.

Read IABucFan's post. His explains it better IMO. He fills 2 voids (hitting against RHP and 1b defense) and forces a player to move to another position which improves THAT position too.
    I did read and like I said a couple of times, if he's coming to be the starter at first base, he isn't filling a void because his overall numbers are no better than what they already have playing the position as a whole.

It's no more than a very, very smallish upgrade.

That's really all that needs said. Thanks for posting, Doug.
    You guys are Missing the point entirely. Should I even try to explain it again?

Here goes. ..

A roster improvement in Sept doesn't have to be a ss to replace Izturis, doesn't have to be a 1b that plays in place of Jones or Sanchez. The rosters expand and your bench can get better for the late inning matchups. Byrd vs. Lhp, Morneau vs Rhp. Like the guy above said about Magic cards, he was in jest, but he gets it. You supply your deck with the right cards to win the little battles. Thus giving you a better chance at the major battle. The games within the game per se. Dusty doesn't have as good of cards as Hurdle now has. Becasue Huntington made these minor nearly costless moves. Walt didn't.

But you all keep quoting yearly stats and whatever else makes you happy. Ignoring the splits, ignoring the situational advantages. You guys should play simulation baseball against another human. Maybe you would see these little advantages matter.
    Last edited by powersackers; 08-31-2013 at 10:48 PM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

14. Likes:

camisadelgolf (08-31-2013),mth123 (08-31-2013),Old school 1983 (09-01-2013),_Sir_Charles_ (08-31-2013)

You also have to pay the salary for amonth. I'm honestly not sure if they can do that the way jock has operated since od. Not saying that's right or wrong but appears to be a strong consideration after stretching payroll for choo and ludwick.

I did read and like I said a couple of times, if he's coming to be the starter at first base, he isn't filling a void because his overall numbers are no better than what they already have playing the position as a whole.

It's no more than a very, very smallish upgrade.
    Defensive void. Void against right handed pitchers. Overall, we agree...small upgrade if any. But I don't think he'll be the full-time starter.

17. Likes:

powersackers (08-31-2013)

Dodgers acquire Michael Young.

19. Likes:

powersackers (08-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by sdwagers View Post
    Dodgers acquire Michael Young.
    Now that's a guy I wouldn't have minded seeing Walt go after. Especially with the struggles of Todd this year.

21. Likes:

Old school 1983 (09-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    You guys are Missing the point entirely. Should I even try to explain it again?

Here goes. ..

A roster improvement in Sept doesn't have to be a ss to replace Izturis, doesn't have to be a 1b that plays in place of Jones or Sanchez. The rosters expand and your bench can get better for the late inning matchups. Byrd vs. Lhp, Morneau vs Rhp. Like the guy above said about Magic cards, he was in jest, but he gets it. You supply your deck with the right cards to win the little battles. Thus giving you a better chance at the major battle. The games within the game per se. Dusty doesn't have as good of cards as Hurdle now has. Becasue Huntington made these minor nearly costless moves. Walt didn't.

But you all keep quoting yearly stats and whatever else makes you happy. Ignoring the splits, ignoring the situational advantages. You guys should play simulation baseball against another human. Maybe you would see these little advantages matter.
    And all the stats guys keep forgetting the Reds are absolutely maxed out on their payroll. They're rolling with what they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    And all the stats guys keep forgetting the Reds are absolutely maxed out on their payroll. They're rolling with what they've got.
    Marlon Byrd for example would have cost this team $116,700. David DeJesus $709,000. But if the bean counters wouldn't budge even that much then they need new formula's for evaluating ROI.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

24. Likes:

malcontent (09-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?