0 0%
  • Waldrop, Kyle OF -A+

0 0%
  • Weiss, Zack P-R

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #10

Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #10

SMB won fairly easily for the #9 slot although Jon Moscot and Ben Lively got quite a bit of support, too.

Let's round out the top ten now.

1. Robert Stephenson
    2. Billy Hamilton
    3. Phillip Ervin
    4. Jesse Winker
    5. Yorman Rodriguez
    6. Michael Lorenzen
    7. David Holmberg
    8. Nick Travieso
    9. Seth Mejias-Brean
    10. ??
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Redzone Minor League Prospect Ranking #10

Still going with Moscot here. He has some stuff, he has some good numbers (especially if you ignore his first couple of starts with Bakersfield) and he reached AA in 2013.

Moscot for me as well.

Seems to me that Rogers and Moscot represent an interesting and very close call. Both are right-handed, semi-power starting pitchers with decent command. Moscot may emphasize finesse a bit more, if reports are accurate. He's also a bigger guy, with a better college pedigree, and two years younger. But in order to keep pace with Rogers, over those two years he would have to dominate AA and advance to AAA. The advancement part seems very likely, since he reached Pensacola late last year, but he'll have a tough time matching Rogers' performance at that level. Anybody would. At this point, I'm inclined to lean toward Rogers simply because he's earned his laurels.

Contreras and Lively are tougher to compare. Arguments can and will be made for all four of those guys. Lively's 0.88 rookie ERA (and 56 K in 41 IP) certainly gets your attention, but his numbers will take on greater significance once he starts working deeper into games. Contreras, by all accounts, has the stuff.

In whatever order we ultimately rank these guys, we're almost certain to be wrong. (And FWIW, I'd place all four ahead of Travieso.)

Edit: I went with Rogers, but, second-guessing, should probably have opted for Barnhart.
    Last edited by mace; 01-13-2014 at 10:57 AM.

I really like Barnhart but feel his upside is as a quality backup catcher. I'm looking for more upside here although if it was "most likely to make the majors and contribute",
    Barnhart, LaMarre and Rogers would all get higher consideration. The problem with all three is I see more of backup/relief/5th OFer roles for them. That's important but inside the top dozen or so I want guys who project a bit more impact if they get there.
    99% of all numbers only tell 33% of the story so when looking at the numbers remember that numbers is plural...

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Since many of the reports that have been posted here about Lively and Moscot are very similar and Moscot is one more year advanced, why are some voting for Lively over Moscot? I am curious.

I believe both have similar stuff and build and both had good success in rookie ball, but Moscot has continued that success all the way to AA. Lively was great in his 41 IP last year, but only 4 were above rookie ball. If he is a similar pitcher to Moscot, why are some wise Redszone posters taking Lively? Was it Moscot's poor W-L record?

8. Likes:

dougdirt (01-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Since many of the reports that have been posted here about Lively and Moscot are very similar and Moscot is one more year advanced, why are some voting for Lively over Moscot? I am curious.

I believe both have similar stuff and build and both had good success in rookie ball, but Moscot has continued that success all the way to AA. Lively was great in his 41 IP last year, but only 4 were above rookie ball. If he is a similar pitcher to Moscot, why are some wise Redszone posters taking Lively? Was it Moscot's poor W-L record?
    I posed that question a few votes ago. I don't get it much either.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I posed that question a few votes ago. I don't get it much either.
    Here's why I voted for Lively. BTW, I think the two are very, very close so this is a minor distinction.

Simply, Lively absolutely dominated in his first shot at pro ball.

Moscot had a remarkable year as well. Lots of innings, held up well despite losing games, good peripherials, advanced to AA.

Moscot is a year older so I don't think the minor league level tells us too much. Lively could advance as quickly in his age 22 season in 2014. We just don't know.

I think both should have been in the top ten.

But Lively's domination could suggest another Cingrani type fast track to the majors. Maybe not, but I couldn't vote for both. So I picked Lively for this reason.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.

11. Likes:

mace (01-13-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Here's why I voted for Lively. BTW, I think the two are very, very close so this is a minor distinction.

Simply, Lively absolutely dominated in his first shot at pro ball.

Moscot had a remarkable year as well. Lots of innings, held up well despite losing games, good peripherials, advanced to AA.

Moscot is a year older so I don't think the minor league level tells us too much. Lively could advance as quickly in his age 22 season in 2014. We just don't know.

I think both should have been in the top ten.

But Lively's domination could suggest another Cingrani type fast track to the majors. Maybe not, but I couldn't vote for both. So I picked Lively for this reason.
    Lively was slightly better than Moscot in their time at Billings. Lively had the stronger K rate, Moscot had the stronger walk rate.

The whole we don't know what Lively will do in 2014 is kind of the point. We know what Moscot did after dominating rookie ball and it was pretty good.

Lively was slightly better than Moscot in their time at Billings. Lively had the stronger K rate, Moscot had the stronger walk rate.

The whole we don't know what Lively will do in 2014 is kind of the point. We know what Moscot did after dominating rookie ball and it was pretty good.
    Really not worth arguing the two are very close.

Lively's first year at two levels (Billings, Dayton) his K/BB rates were 12.3/2.9.
    Moscot's first year at two levels (Ariz, Billings) his K/BB rates are 8.9/3.6.

Even just looking at Billings, Lively's K rate was very high.

I don't think Moscot dominated quite to the extent that Lively did. Lively just blew away the competition in his first year so that's why I give him the vote by a hair.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-13-2014 at 12:17 PM.

14. Likes:

Drugs Delaney (01-18-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Really not worth arguing the two are very close.

Lively's first year at two levels (Billings, Dayton) his K/BB rates were 12.3/2.9.
    Moscot's first year at two levels (Ariz, Billings) his K/BB rates are 8.9/3.6.

I don't think Moscot dominated quite to the extent that Lively did. Lively just blew away the competition in his first year so that's why I give him the vote by a hair.
    Eh, I am not too concerned about what Moscot did in an Arizona tune up where he walked a handful of guys when he went out and followed it up with 6 walks in 26.1 innings with Billings.

I agree that the two guys are close. But when guys are close, I am going with the guy who has performed in AA over the guy with one start in Low-A who has never thrown more than 4 innings in a single start as a pro.

16. Likes:

Edd Roush (01-13-2014)

Eh, I am not too concerned about what Moscot did in an Arizona tune up where he walked a handful of guys when he went out and followed it up with 6 walks in 26.1 innings with Billings.

I agree that the two guys are close. But when guys are close, I am going with the guy who has performed in AA over the guy with one start in Low-A who has never thrown more than 4 innings in a single start as a pro.
    For me, it was Lively's K rate of over 12 per nine innings that gives him the edge He might just be another Cingrani, who flew through the rotation without the top flight scouting reports.

I picked Moscot based on higher level. I see both as very strong prospects. If I was choosing a guy just on arm it would be Contreras but reports he wants to be a reliever push him back a notch or two. Still great arm but if he is determined in his mind to be a reliever that just isn;t as valuable as starting prospects. The best arm left, imo, is Kivel. Speaking pure arm strength and hard stuff. He's just too far off to project this high. He and Ty Boyle, Armstrong, Mahle, Weiss - all of them should hopefully move much higher after this summer. Right now they are too far off, imo , to put this high. But I sure as heck like what's brewing on the pitching front.

Looks like I'm going on a string of starters for the next few picks (although Tucker's gonna have to have some consideration as well).

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    If I was choosing a guy just on arm it would be Contreras but reports he wants to be a reliever push him back a notch or two.
    I don't think that should count against him. For instance were Richie Gardner and Thom Pauly better prospects than Scott Williamson? Yes, I know they weren't in the minors at the same time, but Gardner and Pauly were college arms who did well initially and gain some prospect status before injuries chewed them up. Williamson never had notable prospect status but he was kind of awesome in 1999 and 2002.

Neither their track records to date nor the arguments made in favor of Lively and Moscot have convinced me they're going to pitch in the majors. Contreras very well could be in a Reds uniform this year (if he sends Logan Ondrusek out to pasture I won't complain) and his octane seems like it's special.
    Last edited by M2; 01-13-2014 at 04:51 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?