160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

71 44.38%
  • No

89 55.63%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Stubbs is a nice guy to have in the system.

But it's almost a year since the pick & I still can't understand the logic of eschewing pitching (starting or relief) and / or a big bat for the sake of speed & defense.

Good pitching and big bats are the two costliest needs to acquire either as a FA or via trade. That's what you draft.

Speed & defense? That's for lower in the draft.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's Chris Dickerson with a less famous father.

His numbers are OK if they were major league numbers, but I have serious doubts about his ability to maintain his level of production as he moves through the system and faces better competition.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

We have not seen Stubbs at 100% yet. We probably won't until next season. I am not trying to make excuses for him. His numbers are about where you would expect a player with a bad wheel, that is speed dependant, to be.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Personally, I have full confidence in him to put it all together. At this point, he's played 54 games, a third of a full major league season. If he were to play 162 games at the same rate, here is how his stats would be in Dayton:

Code:
    AVG	G	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	TB	BB	SO	SB	CS	OBP	SLG	OPS
    .272	162	618	126	168	30	0	18	60	252	84	183	33	24	.366	.408	.773
    Of course, the strikeouts are insane, but I think in the end, he will be a little better than Mike Cameron. Anyway, what do all of you think? Will he be a bust or not?
    Hypothetically, let's say he had those numbers in Cincinnati.

18 homers
    30 double
    60 RBI
    .366 OBP
    183 K

Where does a guy like that hit in a lineup?

Btw, I'm not giving up on Stubbs yet. I don't think we should have taken him, but he still has alot of raw power that he can develop, he's fast, and he plays great D.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's Chris Dickerson
    They seem like VERY similar players, with Stubbs having a higher ceiling if everything went right.

I've got no idea whether he's going to be a bust. However, he needs to make some major strides at the plate in order not to be a bust. As a rule, guys who need to learn how to hit make me nervous.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I sure hope Jay Bruce doesnt get hurt, if he does he may get compared to Dwayne Wise or someone like that...rough crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I sure hope Jay Bruce doesnt get hurt, if he does he may get compared to Dwayne Wise or someone like that...rough crowd.
    dfs's post is clearly "from my point of view". I have watched Stubbs twice in Dayton and he looks CLEARLY better than WMP as a CF. He looks like he has the ability to be a ++ defender in CF which the Krivsky plan craves. Hamilton doesn't have the upside to be a ++ CF, neither does Hopper. Dickerson, maybe but he has less upside at the plate than Stubbs who could turn into a future leadoff hitter. Comparing him to Hamilton or Bruce is the wrong seed to compare by.

He can take a walk and has to long of swing. Shorten it down and he has leadoff potential. Finley ceiling or a Dickerson ceiling who knows right now. I don't get why people are "confused" by the Stubbs pick. I completely understand where they were coming from. That doesn't make it the right or best choice, but still completely understandable.

I mean it could go either way. The Reds are betting on Finley.

at Stubbs age Cameron was playing AA ball and getting some ABs in the majors. Cameron exploded the next season and made it to the majors for good at age 24. Stubbs is a ways behind that curve.

Cameron also had a few years of professional baseball under his belt at that point.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's Chris Dickerson with a less famous father.

His numbers are OK if they were major league numbers, but I have serious doubts about his ability to maintain his level of production as he moves through the system and faces better competition.
    Picking nits here, but Dickersons father is just the brother of some famous RB named Dickerson. Eric Dickerson is Chris' uncle.

As for Stubbs, I voted no he wont be a bust. The guy has yet to play healthy in the Reds system. He plays great CF defense and if you can play great CF defense that means you need to OPS around .750 to be a very good player at the major league level. Give Drew Stubbs 2 years and I think he can certainly do that.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Picking nits here, but Dickersons father is just the brother of some famous RB named Dickerson. Eric Dickerson is Chris' uncle.

As for Stubbs, I voted no he wont be a bust. The guy has yet to play healthy in the Reds system. He plays great CF defense and if you can play great CF defense that means you need to OPS around .750 to be a very good player at the major league level. Give Drew Stubbs 2 years and I think he can certainly do that.
    I don't think anyone believes he can't do it. It's just that people think he won't do it. I'm in that boat.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I've got no idea whether he's going to be a bust. However, he needs to make some major strides at the plate in order not to be a bust. As a rule, guys who need to learn how to hit make me nervous.
    As a HS'er I mind that much less so than a 4 year college player from one of the top schools in the nation. If you went to Texas, and are playing Big 12 baseball against some of the best collegiate competition out there, with that level of excellent coaching, and you still can't hit - that's bad news.

I think of this question two fold. I think he'll be a bust, when you're a top 10 pick in the draft, there is no way as a team you should be swinging and missing on players that badly because in theory, those picks don't come around too often.

I hope however, for the Reds sake that he snaps out of it. They could certainly use the deep system.

I think his defense will keep in around baseball for a long time, I don't think his bat will ever win him a starting job in the majors though.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    As a HS'er I mind that much less so than a 4 year college player from one of the top schools in the nation. If you went to Texas, and are playing Big 12 baseball against some of the best collegiate competition out there, with that level of excellent coaching, and you still can't hit - that's bad news.
    Just as an aside, UT is a famously lousy school for turning out hitters. The number of good batsmen who came out of UT is a short list - Bibb Falk, Pinky Higgins and Keith Moreland. That's exactly one guy in the last half century and Moreland wasn't exactly setting the world on fire.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?