Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe P looks at Broadcasters - Today - Costas

Joe P looks at Broadcasters - Today - Costas

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/40001770/

Hope Thom reads this:

About two hours before the game begins, Costas writes down the lineups on a giant white cardboard scorecard. In today's iPad world, not many announcers still use the big scorecard, and not many scribble down little facts about each player. Costas does both. He writes down batting averages, home runs, interesting little details. The scorecard is something from the past. Costas does broadcast baseball with the old masters (Vin Scully and Jack Buck and Harry Caray and Ernie Harwell and others) firmly in his mind. Costas thinks there are things that have been lost in modern baseball broadcasting: subtlety; story telling; a genuine effort to allow the rhythm of the game to emerge without overpowering it with bustle and replay and sound.

That probably does not surprise you. People tend to think Costas’ sensibilities are of another time. He has been called a baseball traditionalist so often by now that he lacks the strength to argue about it.

"People will use me as a symbol of a kind of stuck-in-the-1950s fan who doesn't want anything to change," he says. "They will say, 'You know, people like Bob Costas think …' and often, the position I'm supposed to hold in these scenarios is something I strongly disagree with. Are there things that were better about baseball years ago? Certainly. Are there things that are better now? Unquestionably."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Joe P looks at Broadcasters - Today - Costas

Watched his 10 pm show on NBCSports network last night. He interviewed Bobby Valentine to lead it off. Good stuff.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Costas has been and continues to be one of the best baseball announcers around. Most PBP guys could learn a lot from him. He does games just here and there for the MLB Network. I just wish he could find the time to do game just once a week for that network.
    Last edited by cumberlandreds; 10-25-2012 at 07:55 AM.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Costas has been and continues to be one of the best baseball announcers around.
    I'm sure you mean to add an "Other than Vin Scully" at the front of that. Positive you meant that.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I'm sure you mean to add an "Other than Vin Scully" at the front of that. Positive you meant that.
    Oh yea. I did say one of the best in my statement. Scully is still the best and Costas may be number two but just don't get to hear him enough.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Probably blasphemy...but I prefer Costas to Scully (and any other broadcaster). Not just with baseball either.

Listening to Bob Costas call a game is one of the little pleasures in life. I wish we could get to hear him do it more often.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Listening to Bob Costas call a game is one of the little pleasures in life. I wish we could get to hear him do it more often.
    I agree completely.

i'll take blasphemy to the next level....I don't care to listen to Vin Scully at all. There I said it. He kinda annoys me...not to the George Grande level by any means but along a similar vein

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's too much Scully. I like another voice.

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    i'll take blasphemy to the next level....I don't care to listen to Vin Scully at all. There I said it. He kinda annoys me...not to the George Grande level by any means but along a similar vein
    He was better 30 years ago, my take is game one of a series he's good, lyrical etc... after that press notes

I see a lot if Dodger games, he's old but good still

I'll join you. I've listened to a few of his games. I guess I see the appeal, but I wasn't a fan of his style personally.

Let's be honest. He sucks.

My complaint when it comes to Costas is that he's spent too much time hanging with the Today Show crowd and will crack some lame jokes in the name of "witty banter." He can tell some real groaners. Other than that, he's great. I like announcers who can tell me something new.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Vin Scully reminds me of Bob Dylan. After all these years, he's still excellent, but it's just a matter of whether you can tolerate his voice or not.

Turn Off Ads?