Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566 LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball -- 7th Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    On another note. Here in Indiana they started a crossroads tournament. This past year IU played Notre Dame and Purdue played Butler(Moving to the A-10 BTW). I think that would be great for an alternative solution for IU/UK's impasse. The border challenge. Louisville and UK matched up against IU and Purdue/Notre Dame. I am placing my ticket order right now!!!!!!!!!
    The only problem would be it would have to be Purdue (or Butler) if you want to have an IU-UK game. I'm sure Notre Dame and Louisville wouldn't go for facing each other before conference play.

I do like the Crossroads Classic idea that Indiana did and I would like to see Kentucky do something similar in-state. Only problem is outside of Kentucky and Louisville, not a lot of competitive teams on a consistent basis. Murray State is good now, but two years from now it could be WKU, Morehead, or none of the above.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The only problem would be it would have to be Purdue (or Butler) if you want to have an IU-UK game. I'm sure Notre Dame and Louisville wouldn't go for facing each other before conference play.

I do like the Crossroads Classic idea that Indiana did and I would like to see Kentucky do something similar in-state. Only problem is outside of Kentucky and Louisville, not a lot of competitive teams on a consistent basis. Murray State is good now, but two years from now it could be WKU, Morehead, or none of the above.
    A few years back. IU and Purdue played OOC due to the fact they only met once during the conference season. That Big East schedule is so messed up, you play most everybody only once. But you are right I dont think either would go for it. Scratch Notre Dame and insert Purdue(or Butler).

I dont know how many D-1 schools Kentucky has, but I have always liked the idea of having an in-state tournament here in Indiana and running like Maui. IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Butler, Valpo, Ball State, Indiana State, and Evansville should make for a good one.

Looks like the series is officially dead.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...e-disagreement

FWIW, I don't blame IU for wanting a home and home. Kentucky wanted the neutral site because of revenue, and a home and home series provided no new revenue for UK because we sell out Rupp regardless. A two year agreement at Lucas Oil Stadium would have provided double the IU fans the opportunity to watch the Hoosiers play in person, but would have taken away the home crowd factor with a sea of blue across the stadium.

Not to mention, Kentucky went 12-3 in the 15 years of the neutral site. Hopefully we meet up in March again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

FWIW, I don't blame IU for wanting a home and home. Kentucky wanted the neutral site because of revenue, and a home and home series provided no new revenue for UK because we sell out Rupp regardless. A two year agreement at Lucas Oil Stadium would have provided double the IU fans the opportunity to watch the Hoosiers play in person, but would have taken away the home crowd factor with a sea of blue across the stadium.

Not to mention, Kentucky went 12-3 in the 15 years of the neutral site. Hopefully we meet up in March again.
    I'm hearing the UNC series is dead too. Looks like UK wants to only play the big boys on neutral sites.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

With conference expansion, look for stuff like this to become the norm. I hate to see the UK/IU series end, but I'm assuming that's just temporary. Everyone wants to play UK, but we can't play home-and-home series with everyone. We've had more home-and-home series against top schools over the years (UofL, IU, UNC, Michigan State, Kansas, etc) than anyone else in the country. We are also now in the Champions Classic three-year deal (vs Kansas last year, vs Duke next year and vs Michigan State the following year). I don't know which direction our schedule goes from here, but playing 21 conference games beginning next year (including the tourney) has definitely changed the way you draw up the OOC portion of the slate.

If the state could have an in-state tournament built around the UK-U of L game, how cool would that be?

Schedule those in-state teams that look to be best for that year (next season looks like Murray and WKU), play one game on one Saturday/ Sunday, another on Wednesday, then the Dream Game on the next weekend.

Four teams at Yum! three days out of eight would be similar to the NCAA and create a buzz throughout the state.

I really hate to see the UNC series come to an end. I really liked one. Usually those two were two of the best in the country. They really should have been able to get together to keep this one going.
    As for the IU series I could care less about it anymore. Since Knight was canned it had lost its luster. I think it was time to move on from that series and maybe go back to Kansas for a while.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I really hate to see the UNC series come to an end. I really liked one. Usually those two were two of the best in the country. They really should have been able to get together to keep this one going.
    As for the IU series I could care less about it anymore. Since Knight was canned it had lost its luster. I think it was time to move on from that series and maybe go back to Kansas for a while.
    It will be interersting to see who Kansas wants to line up first as I've heard both IU and UK are in negotiations to play them.

Maybe inadvertantly Bill Self might come up with a Michigan State style schedule where he plays IU, UK, and tOSU before Christmas.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It will be interersting to see who Kansas wants to line up first as I've heard both IU and UK are in negotiations to play them.

Maybe inadvertantly Bill Self might come up with a Michigan State style schedule where he plays IU, UK, and tOSU before Christmas.
    Kansas will play Michigan State in the Champions Classic this year opposite of the UK/Duke game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I wonder why IU and UK couldn't come to some sort of compromise and basically do both neutral sites and home sites. If you have a long term contract just have two years of home sites and then the next two years of neutral sites. Everybody wins.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I wonder why IU and UK couldn't come to some sort of compromise and basically do both neutral sites and home sites. If you have a long term contract just have two years of home sites and then the next two years of neutral sites. Everybody wins.
    Personally I just wish IU would have said ok to Lucas Oil Stadium. But it is what it is.

Stat geek...and proud

Funny, they didn't have a problem coming to Bloomington when they were kicking IU in the teeth every year.

part of BBN

Anthony Bennett cut Forida from his list which is now down to Kentucky, UNLV and Oregon.
    This is very surprising as Florida and KY were considered 2 frontrunners with it being 50/50 as to where he would choose.
    Hopefully this bodes well for KY.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Funny, they didn't have a problem coming to Bloomington when they were kicking IU in the teeth every year.
    Playing it home and home or at neutral venues has never stopped UK from "kicking IU in the teeth" as you so eloquently put it.

Hell, we offered to play both neutral games in the state of Indiana...

Cal said he would not bring a team back to Bloomington and I'm glad he stuck to his guns.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Playing it home and home or at neutral venues has never stopped UK from "kicking IU in the teeth" as you so eloquently put it.

Hell, we offered to play both neutral games in the state of Indiana...

Cal said he would not bring a team back to Bloomington and I'm glad he stuck to his guns.
    LMAO!!!!!!! Go back and look at the history of the series. You might find an interesting thing or two when it comes to the neutral court thing. Do your homework well my friend.

Turn Off Ads?