Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: BCS blather

Re: BCS blather

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If I read the arguments correctly, its because human polls consistently rank SEC teams higher than the computer polls. And human polls make up 2/3 of the BCS.
    Right now the polls do have SEC teams 1,2 and 3 but that's not much different from the computers and I hardly think it shows an SEC bias. Some of those computers didn't even drop OK ST after they lost to an unranked team. I don't know about you but I think that's nuts

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Right now the polls do have SEC teams 1,2 and 3 but that's not much different from the computers and I hardly think it shows an SEC bias. Some of those computers didn't even drop OK ST after they lost to an unranked team. I don't know about you but I think that's nuts
    Looked at http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

Seems that the difference is with Oklahoma St. vs. Arkansas. Computers have OSU ranked #3 while the human polls put them #6. Is this a SEC bias? Eh. Could be, could not be. The computer polls seem to love the Big 12 (OSU #3, K-State #5, Oklahoma #6) while the human ones don't (OSU #4, K-State #11, Oklahoma #9). I will say there is a human bias in the BCS.

I have no idea what the algorithms are for the computer polls. All I know is that they strive to eliminate the human bias and try to rank teams on objective criteria. Us humans have all kinds of agendas and biases and whatnot.

But my overall comment is that I'd like to see who the best team is decided on the playing field and not in the minds of the voters or in the bits and bytes of the computers. Like it is now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Looked at http://espn.go.com/college-football/bcs

Seems that the difference is with Oklahoma St. vs. Arkansas. Computers have OSU ranked #3 while the human polls put them #6. Is this a SEC bias? Eh. Could be, could not be. The computer polls seem to love the Big 12 (OSU #3, K-State #5, Oklahoma #6) while the human ones don't (OSU #4, K-State #11, Oklahoma #9). I will say there is a human bias in the BCS.

I have no idea what the algorithms are for the computer polls. All I know is that they strive to eliminate the human bias and try to rank teams on objective criteria. Us humans have all kinds of agendas and biases and whatnot.

But my overall comment is that I'd like to see who the best team is decided on the playing field and not in the minds of the voters or in the bits and bytes of the computers. Like it is now.

I understand where you're coming from.

My point is that the computers are only as good as the guys who program it. The people who vote don't seem to agree with the guys who programmed the computers at Sagrin, Harris or whatever.

The Big 12 and PAC 12 schools are helped in the computer polls by playing 9 conference games. One less game against a Sun Belt team will help you in the computer polls but not that much in the human polls.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

LSU/Bama rematch please.

They are the two best teams, in a whole different class than other schools IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    LSU/Bama rematch please.

They are the two best teams, in a whole different class than other schools IMO.
    I don't agree. I want to see OSU LSU well before LSU/Bama.

OSU's sole lose this season was on the same day they suffered a tragic plane crash. Heck until last weekend I would have rather seen Oregon LSU over a Bama rematch. Bama had their shot, a night home game, and scored 6 points. IMO they don't deserve a chance at the title.

That's where I'm at. Bama had LSU at home. Their roads to The BCS game are ridiculously divergent after the Bama loss to LSU (assuming LSU wins out). Again, assuming a run of the table, LSU has an air tight case. Bama has a case but it's not nearly as strong IMHO.

In any event, hopefully Auburn will take care of this with some holiday magic.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Did you watch the LSU/Bama game? Bama was the superior team. Their kicker blew that game.

LSU will blow out any other team IMO.

Did you watch the LSU/Bama game? Bama was the superior team. Their kicker blew that game.

I think Bama loses to LSU 7 out of 10 times in a neutral location if LSU can beat them in Tuscaloosa.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

You mean like how everyone just assumed that Ohio State and Michigan were the two best teams in the nation in 06 I think? How'd that one work? Bama had a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Whats sad about it? If they are the best, thats what everyone wants right?
    Is there really any question that Alabama is the second best team in college football? Who beats them other than a 6-3 loss to LSU? Ok State? Oklahoma?...please! So far the BCS has worked perfectly.

Oh....if Alabama and LSU meet in the Championship game the SEC will get ALL the money and not just half of it...wow!

Even if Arkansas beats LSU, Bama WILL beat Auburn. Then Bama will be #1 and Arkansas #2. Bama beats Georgia in the SEC championship game and Bama and Arkansas meet for all the marbles....The SEC stills wins... Every team in the conference splits the money.
    Last edited by George Foster; 11-24-2011 at 10:24 PM.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Is there really any question that Alabama is the second best team in college football? Who beats them other than a 6-3 loss to LSU? Ok State? Oklahoma?...please! So far the BCS has worked perfectly.
    Sure, there is a question about it. I think that Alabama is the best team in college football. I think LSU is the second best team in college football. But, what I think doesn't mean its reality.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The winning team is the superior team.

Someone else deserves a chance at the title.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Someone else deserves a chance at the title.
    Who deserves it more than Bama?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Who deserves it more than Bama?

No one.

Turn Off Ads?