Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have a blackberry?

Anyone have a blackberry?

To piggyback off the iphone thread, anyone have any good blackberry apps?

My favorites are:

Pandora
    Iheartradio
    CBS Fantasy Sports (to follow my fantasy baseball league)
    Google Maps
    Viigo (rss feeds)
    Facebook
    Reds.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Anyone have a blackberry?

I have a blackberry and I wish it were an iPhone.
    What an unintuitive piece of...
    Had to go buy a Dummy book to half figure it out, since the manual is useless.
    Why keep it? Well, there are some things in life you just have to do (client wants me to have it).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Weathereye is a nice app in addition to the ones you listed. Google sync for your calendar.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I have a blackberry and I wish it were an iPhone.
    What an unintuitive piece of...
    Had to go buy a Dummy book to half figure it out, since the manual is useless.
    Why keep it? Well, there are some things in life you just have to do (client wants me to have it).
    How long have you had it? I've had mine for about a year and a half or so, and I was initially pretty disappointed with it, but I've grown to love it. It's nice to have everything in the phone all synced up together.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    How long have you had it? I've had mine for about a year and a half or so, and I was initially pretty disappointed with it, but I've grown to love it. It's nice to have everything in the phone all synced up together.
    About six months. The desktop is full of crappy AT&T apps to sell me stuff. Can't get rid of them. To set up someone for bb messenger, I have to go to the Address Book first. The camera...well I can't get that to work. Browsing the internet, if you can call it that, is sooooo sloowwwww.

It goes on...so frustrated. I know I'm not getting 5% of its capabilities, but the darn thing is not appealing at all.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    About six months. The desktop is full of crappy AT&T apps to sell me stuff. Can't get rid of them. To set up someone for bb messenger, I have to go to the Address Book first. The camera...well I can't get that to work. Browsing the internet, if you can call it that, is sooooo sloowwwww.

It goes on...so frustrated. I know I'm not getting 5% of its capabilities, but the darn thing is not appealing at all.
    Maybe it's AT&T's issue, mine is with Verizon, and I don't have that issue. Haven't tried the messenger, but the internet seems fairly good for a cell phone to me on their service...

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    To piggyback off the iphone thread, anyone have any good blackberry apps?

My favorites are:

Pandora
    Iheartradio
    CBS Fantasy Sports (to follow my fantasy baseball league)
    Google Maps
    Viigo (rss feeds)
    Facebook
    Reds.com
    haven't played around long enough to figure out the apps....do you go through your provider?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

handango is a good provider

Vlingo has voice recognition and you can dictate text messages and emails. Also can say stuff like "google search mexican resturants in Ft. Lauderdale" and run your browser.

Poynt is a nice app too, and memory boost.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    haven't played around long enough to figure out the apps....do you go through your provider?
    Most of them, I've just googled "best free blackberry apps" or something like that, and look through what a lot of the tech sites have listed. I've gotten some through the Blackberry App World, but really end up staying away from the VZAppZone since they charge for everything, and at this point, I've found a bunch of good free stuff...

I have one through work but still have to learn its different functions. At the moment, it is mostly used to keep me updated on my work email.

(Verizon - BlackBerry Curve 8330)
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

I love my crackberry!

I of course have my Cincinnati reds app first!

Although its really just a short cut that directs the browser to the reds mlb page.

I have blackberry app world.

Opera mini is a good alternative to the built in browser. I use both for different things.

Aim, yahoo messenger, ICQ, and google talk!

And of course pandora radio, which rocks.

Have the built in games plus soduko.

I'm currently trying to find a free, better than the built in media playing application.

That may seem like a ton of stuff, but its really not. I try to keep my phone as clear of applications as I can, so any app I use must meet a high mark of approval from myself.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

When you say Opera mini is a good alternative, how does it compare? you said you use them for different things, if you don't mind me asking, what benefits does it have over the standard browser?

- Tiger Woods Golf
    - Madden
    - Evernote
    - RDM + (lets you create a remote desktop connection)
    - Shark Modem (use modem as phone w/o paying, but I don't use because it's not as fast as 3G.)
    - Opera Mini (better at navigating large pages. It's a pain to scroll down in the built-in browser.)
    - MasterDoc (lets you view office/PDF files)
    - eFile (browse file tree like in Windows)
    - google sync (for google calendar)

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    When you say Opera mini is a good alternative, how does it compare? you said you use them for different things, if you don't mind me asking, what benefits does it have over the standard browser?
    Well, I use opera mostly for web sites that are java intensive. Its still not perfect, but its head and shoulders better than the built in browser.

Also, some pages are easier to navigate with opera as opposed to the built in..

Some aspects are easier to use in one vs the other.. I don't know.. Its worth a download and trying for yourself though. You can always uninstall if you don't like it.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Well, I use opera mostly for web sites that are java intensive. Its still not perfect, but its head and shoulders better than the built in browser.

Also, some pages are easier to navigate with opera as opposed to the built in..

Some aspects are easier to use in one vs the other.. I don't know.. Its worth a download and trying for yourself though. You can always uninstall if you don't like it.
    I ended up downloading it and I do like that it has the option of showing the entire page...haven't toyed with it too much yet, but I like it so far.

Turn Off Ads?