Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

S, LB, RB, and WR need to be addressed. I will throw in T into the mix as well.

What I don't quite understand is a lot of the mock draft guys are predicting the Bengals go DE or the hybrid DE/LB. I don't see it. The Bengals have found great value in the later rounds and actually off the street. DE would be a luxury for a team that has needs other places.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    S, LB, RB, and WR need to be addressed. I will throw in T into the mix as well.

What I don't quite understand is a lot of the mock draft guys are predicting the Bengals go DE or the hybrid DE/LB. I don't see it. The Bengals have found great value in the later rounds and actually off the street. DE would be a luxury for a team that has needs other places.
    I tend to agree with you on the positions with one difference. I think CB is more of a need than WR. With so many older DB's and an unknown in Kirkpatrick, another corner would be welcomed. I believe a full season with Sanu in the offense will make a huge difference.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

CBS' Jason La Canfora reports the Bengals "have indicated" they will use the franchise tag on free agent RE Michael Johnson.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/n...tag-re-johnson
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

That is a bad deal if they let Andre Smith walk. Take away Michael Johnson's game against the Redskins' backup Tackle, and he was pretty average, considering that he gets to play on the same line as Geno Atkins, and Carlos Dunlop.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

If you can't get a deal done you franchise him and see if he can prove it again. Bad thing about doing that is the price could go up. I like Johnson and feel he does more than just pressure the qb, he's a lot like Justin Smith in that he runs the entire field and racks up tackles in run support.

As far as Smith goes, I think Beatty from the Giants set the market for Smith but his agent is known to be very hard headed, which should be fun dealing with Mike Brown. Plus some feel Anthony Collins is pretty good.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    I think Zimmer feels he is a safety away from being one of the elite defenses in the league. I would say they lean safety in the first if there is one left at 21. In the second I could see hitting on a RB and LB, and shoring up the line in the third with a tackle. However you never know with the Bengals, they follow the Baltimore model of always drafting BPA, so you never know.
    I think replacing Rey M at LB would do more to help this team than replacing Crocker or whoever. There were way too many dumpoffs to RBs and TEs that left Rey a step or two behind and chasing

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I think replacing Rey M at LB would do more to help this team than replacing Crocker or whoever. There were way too many dumpoffs to RBs and TEs that left Rey a step or two behind and chasing
    Agree on this big time. How many times did the defense get their back broken on the underneath stuff? Almost without exception there would be Maualuga chasing the play from behind. The bad part is that depending on how the Bengals evaluate Jarvis Jones, I could see him falling to the Bengals. I don't know how he fits into the equation.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You already are replacing Rey at the middle backer with Burfict, who has better instincts and quicker reaction times. Why not resign Rey at a reasonable rate and play him at Sam where he did pretty good for two seasons. You could also re-sign Howard to play weak side again if his knee is healthy. Draft an LB in the 3rd or 4th if needed. However if a safety is there at 21 like Elam or Vaccaro I say you pull the trigger.

Football talk on NBC reported the MJ thing earlier and stated that Andre Smith thinks he'll get north of 9 million a year. With the 1st rd. depth at the position I take the chance Andre won't get what he wants either. If he does good riddance, he already stole more than 2 years worth of salary from the Bengals as is, doubt I would re-sign him at all. Menelik Watson is starting to look pretty good at pick #21, as he could also eventually take over LT down the road.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    You already are replacing Rey at the middle backer with Burfict, who has better instincts and quicker reaction times. Why not resign Rey at a reasonable rate and play him at Sam where he did pretty good for two seasons. You could also re-sign Howard to play weak side again if his knee is healthy. Draft an LB in the 3rd or 4th if needed. However if a safety is there at 21 like Elam or Vaccaro I say you pull the trigger.
    I have no confidence that he'll play well at SAM either. The way I see it, your slowest LB should be the MIKE. So if Rey was slow there, what will he look like on the outside?

Point is he has already played SAM and played it pretty well. Plus he would have to be an upgrade over Lawson who I felt was pretty bad last season. Either way Bengals usually draft BPA which means at 21 they could be looking at several possibilities.

I would have much preferred to tag Smith. I don't like an unmotivated Smith on a LTC but this team CANNOT afford to lose him (and waste a first round pick on his replacement instead of addressing other needs, much like the Kirkpatrick/Joseph saga last year).

This team needs to get a SS, LB and either a RB or a WR with its first three picks. If they let Smith walk and draft an OT in the first round, they will not be a playoff team next season.

Vaccaro or one of the Georgia LBs (Jones/Ogletree) in Round 1 please.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would have much preferred to tag Smith. I don't like an unmotivated Smith on a LTC but this team CANNOT afford to lose him (and waste a first round pick on his replacement instead of addressing other needs, much like the Kirkpatrick/Joseph saga last year).

This team needs to get a SS, LB and either a RB or a WR with its first three picks. If they let Smith walk and draft an OT in the first round, they will not be a playoff team next season.

Vaccaro or one of the Georgia LBs (Jones/Ogletree) in Round 1 please.
    We could use him but worse than losing him would be signing him to a LTC and getting a guy who eats himself out of the league. I have no doubt he loves football but love often isn't enough to overcome an unhealthy lifestyle (I would know). So if we have to risk losing him to minimize such a risk well then so be it IMO. Menelik Watson & DJ Fluker aren't ideal perse but there is some benefit to having them at RT both now (money) and in the future (on a rookie contract during the early years of Dalton, Green & Atkins likely extensions). But if you don't wanna spend a 1st on an OT there are some intriguing guys later (Terron Armstead for one) as well and we have Anthony Collins still who is solid.

Also disagree with what the team needs in the 1st 2 rounds. There are ways around having to draft all those "need" positions, check out my plan for attacking the offseason. This assumes we re-sign everyone except Andre, Rey M., Nate Clements, & say B. Scott (who wasn't good last season), which I sort of expect to happen.

Cut Taylor Mays (guy is no NFL safety)

Sign OLB Phillip Wheeler Oakland - Strongside OLB who does everything but his best asset is rushing the passer. Doubt Oakland will be able to re-sign him with their cap issues and he fits best in a 4-3 defense. Shouldn't take a monster contract either. Moving Burfict to the middle and getting T. Howard back to play WLB.

1st - Menelik Watson OT Fla. St. - Can play booth sides so plays RT now and can move to LT in a few years to take over for Whit.
    2A - Andre Ellington RB Clemson or Matt Elam S Florida
    2B - Eric Reid S LSU or DeAndre Hopkins WR Clemson
    3rd - Kenjon Barner or perhaps take an OG/OC or even a LB like the kid from Oregon Nikko, then go Kniles Davis in the 4th and the list goes on...

4th - on whatever you want really, as all obvious holes are filled.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    We could use him but worse than losing him would be signing him to a LTC and getting a guy who eats himself out of the league. I have no doubt he loves football but love often isn't enough to overcome an unhealthy lifestyle (I would know). So if we have to risk losing him to minimize such a risk well then so be it IMO. Menelik Watson & DJ Fluker aren't ideal perse but there is some benefit to having them at RT both now (money) and in the future (on a rookie contract during the early years of Dalton, Green & Atkins likely extensions). But if you don't wanna spend a 1st on an OT there are some intriguing guys later (Terron Armstead for one) as well and we have Anthony Collins still who is solid.

Also disagree with what the team needs in the 1st 2 rounds. There are ways around having to draft all those "need" positions, check out my plan for attacking the offseason. This assumes we re-sign everyone except Andre, Rey M., Nate Clements, & say B. Scott (who wasn't good last season), which I sort of expect to happen.

Sign OLB Phillip Wheeler Oakland - Strongside OLB who does everything but his best asset is rushing the passer. Doubt Oakland will be able to re-sign him with their cap issues and he fits best in a 4-3 defense. Shouldn't take a monster contract either. Moving Burfict to the middle and getting T. Howard back to play WLB.

1st - Menelik Watson OT Fla. St. - Can play booth sides so plays RT now and can move to LT in a few years to take over for Whit.
    3rd - Kenjon Barner or perhaps take an OG/OC or even a LB like the kid from Oregon Nikko, then go Kniles Davis in the 4th and the list goes on...

Most of the draft chatter on Watson has him falling after testing poorly at the combine. I want Andre Smith back, and will be seriously upset if the Bengals cheap out on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

That's exactly why I would have tagged him. Let him play another year with motivation.

Your scenario assumes the Bengals are like other NFL teams and actually participate in Free Agency and, you know, actually try to bring in talented players from other teams. This is the Bengals, their mantra is "Build through the draft and retain homegrown talent." the problem with that mantra is that when you violate it once, the whole thing blows up. When they didn't sign JJ, the most talented defensive player they drafted in a decade, they had to use their first round pick to replace him, precluding the team from addressing other needs and truly "building through the draft." Now they face the same scenario with Hippo Smith. He's not Willie Anderson, but he is arguably one of their top 5 assets on offense. If they let him walk, the team will be in regression as they won't be able to use the first round pick to actually improve the team, and with a QB and an RB who are NOT above average, going with a lesser player in that spot will cripple the offense. As I said, if Smith leaves the Bengals are NOT playoff bound. Book it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?