Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giants trade Sanchez to Royals for Cabrera

-The Insider-

Giants trade Sanchez to Royals for Cabrera

The San Francisco Giants have traded left-handed pitcher Jonathan Sanchez and minor league pitcher Ryan Verdugo to the Kansas City Royals for outfielder Melky Cabrera.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Giants trade Sanchez to Royals for Cabrera

Didn't see that one coming.

Sounds like a horrible deal for SF
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Steal for the Royals, in my opinion.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'm sure most people will call this a steal for Dayton Moore and he certainly got the upside. But nobody should be surprised if Cabrera outproduces. While AT&T is death to HR, Kauffman is right there with Oakland and Seattle as the toughest AL park for homers.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm sure most people will call this a steal for Dayton Moore and he certainly got the upside. But nobody should be surprised if Cabrera outproduces. While AT&T is death to HR, Kauffman is right there with Oakland and Seattle as the toughest AL park for homers.
    Wasn't Sanchez largely considered a left handed Edinson Volquez? I guy with fantastic stuff but can't put it all together? I remember them talking about Sanchez when the Reds played the Giants and how frustrating of a pitcher he was for a manager.

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Wasn't Sanchez largely considered a left handed Edinson Volquez? I guy with fantastic stuff but can't put it all together? I remember them talking about Sanchez when the Reds played the Giants and how frustrating of a pitcher he was for a manager.
    That's how I view him.

I think the Royals got a great deal here. I wish the Reds could have grabbed Sanchez.

I like the deal for the Giants. Sanchez is very wild, and he's had arm issues.

But time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Indeed. And Giants fans treated him the same way, putting great value on him because he'd be an ace if he could get the walks under control.

Pitcher control seems to be comparable to hitter contact ability; people treat it as malleable and likely to improve with dedicated effort. And thus, stardom is just around the corner for pitchers who are limited by a lack of control.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I never liked Sanchez all that much, but still I expected the Giants to get more than one year of Melky Cabrera for him.

Good news is this appears to suggest that the Royals won't be trading Lorenzo Cain for Jair Jurrjens. If I'm the Reds, I call up Frank Wren and offer up their choice of Stubbs or Heisey and a prospect for Jurrjens and see where that goes.
    Go BLUE!!!

Indeed. And Giants fans treated him the same way, putting great value on him because he'd be an ace if he could get the walks under control.

Pitcher control seems to be comparable to hitter contact ability; people treat it as malleable and likely to improve with dedicated effort. And thus, stardom is just around the corner for pitchers who are limited by a lack of control.
    It has proven to be more correctable, at least as far as my anecdotal memory serves. Guys like Sandy Koufax and Randy Johnson overcame early control issues. Doesn't dismiss your argument at all, just not sure I'd consider the two comparable.

I do Rick. In this way,there will probably be no cure all for either,but a lack of maximum effort by either will produce more desirable effects.

I think either can be improved ,albeit most only modestly.Some of us believe less in the players predestination.

This is another trade where I shake my head - Melky Cabrerra??? Somebody needs to wake Walt up. - Melky is not even a Heisey in my opinion so it's another trade where my blood pressure rises... Yikes!

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I dunno.

Career e.r.a. of 4.26.
    For his career of 708 innings pitched, he's only allowed 607 hits, and batters are hitting .231 against him. 736 K's in 708 innings pitched.

He's only 29.

Yeah, he struggles giving up walks. But the rest of his numbers are pretty good.

Turn Off Ads?