Turn Off Ads?

Thread: So, when we trading our two top 10 Power Hitters in the MLB anyway?

So, when we trading our two top 10 Power Hitters in the MLB anyway?

Dunn/Griff - MLB OF Leaders at:

HR: 1/2
    RBI: 8/13
    SLG: 6/3
    OPS: 5/6

R: 10/22
    BB: 12/10

About the only guys I can see in or around the same range in all categories are Bonds, Ordonez(having a ridiculous year), Vlad Guerrero, Carlos Lee, Gary Sheffield, Matt Holiday (Colorado don't count) and Torii Hunter.

Probably could find some more, but my point is, you're not going to replace that for LESS than the money we're paying now, and more like $17-$20M.

SURELY not for <$10M will you even get close.

JUST FYI.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: So, when we trading our two top 10 Power Hitters in the MLB anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    About the only guys I can see in or around the same range in all categories are Bonds, Ordonez(having a ridiculous year), Vlad Guerrero, Carlos Lee, Gary Sheffield, Matt Holiday (Colorado don't count) and Torii Hunter.
    I can't agree that Holliday's stats shouldn't count because of where he plays. If that's the case, then how does Griffey's and Dunn's stats count? The GABP is now considered more of an offensive bandbox than the Coors Field is.

Griffey and Dunn should be recognized because of what they have done at the plate, but I think Holliday's stats are legit. He is a great hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I can't agree that Holliday's stats shouldn't count because of where he plays. If that's the case, then how does Griffey's and Dunn's stats count? The GABP is now considered more of an offensive bandbox than the Coors Field is.

Griffey and Dunn should be recognized because of what they have done at the plate, but I think Holliday's stats are legit. He is a great hitter.
    Exactly what I was thinking. How can you count Cincinnati and not Colorado?

Look at the home/road splits for the 3 players.

Dunn-
    Home: .327/.432/.718/1.150 (13 HR, 30 RBI)
    Road: .217/.290/.428/.718 (8 HR, 20 RBI)

Griffey-
    Home: .313/.410/.633/1.043 (11 HR, 25 RBI)
    Road: .282/.362/.542/.904 (10 HR, 22 RBI)

Holiday-
    Home: .404/.443/.699/1.142 (8 HR, 33 RBI)
    Road: .295/.349/.474/.823 (5 HR, 27 RBI)

All 3 players hit better at home, with Dunn's splits being the most dramatic and Griffey's being the least.

This brings up another thing about Adam Dunn. Don't think that his home/road splits don't affect his trade values. GMs will look at the home/road splits and wonder what Dunn would do hitting in Dodgers Stadium or Petco where they aren't nearly as much hitters park. Maybe Dunn's value isn't as high as we (including myself) thought it was. Krivsky could have a difficult time finding a trade in which we get equal value back in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

ORG Infidel

Most of Dunn's homers are of the no doubter variety regardless of venue. You would probably find that a lot of players hit better in their home park due to comfort level, familiarity etc.

High five!

Here's a question. I understand why the power would diminish on the road but why such a drop in average for Dunn? Is it that he's hitting a lot of fly balls that simply get caught in bigger parks?

Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Most of Dunn's homers are of the no doubter variety regardless of venue. You would probably find that a lot of players hit better in their home park due to comfort level, familiarity etc.
    You could say that, but Dunn is hitting .110 points higher, has an .142 points higher OBP, and has a .290 point higer slugging percentage at home then he does on the road. That has alot more to do with GABP then it does being comfortable, IMO.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This brings up another thing about Adam Dunn. Don't think that his home/road splits don't affect his trade values. GMs will look at the home/road splits and wonder what Dunn would do hitting in Dodgers Stadium or Petco where they aren't nearly as much hitters park.
    Yep, but I think you're underestimating his value on the road by looking at his splits for this year in isolation.

Career
    Home - .258/.395/.558/.953
    Away - .238/.362/.479/.841

3 year splits
    Home - .256/.390/.580/.970
    Away - .242/.371/.489/.860

These data paint a much prettier (and likely more accurate) picture of Dunn than do the 138 crappy plate appearances he's had on the road so far this year.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Yep, but I think you're underestimating his value on the road by looking at his splits for this year in isolation.

Career
    Home - .258/.395/.558/.953
    Away - .238/.362/.479/.841

3 year splits
    Home - .256/.390/.580/.970
    Away - .242/.371/.489/.860

These data paint a much prettier (and likely more accurate) picture of Dunn than do the 138 crappy plate appearances he's had on the road so far this year.
    Ah, that's definatley more accurate then the 138 plate appearances he has had on the road this year. I stand corrected.

Nice find.

I agree that Matt Holiday is a great hitter, but point is, we're not picking him up in FA for less than $10M per...

Nobody in the top 15 of OPS can be had for anywhere CLOSE to <$10M.

The only guys who are "bargains" at $4/$5M are the guys who haven't got enough Years in to be eligible for the Big Contracts.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    I agree that Matt Holiday is a great hitter, but point is, we're not picking him up in FA for less than $10M per...

Nobody in the top 15 of OPS can be had for anywhere CLOSE to <$10M.

The only guys who are "bargains" at $4/$5M are the guys who haven't got enough Years in to be eligible for the Big Contracts.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Matt Holliday, Park Adjusted for GABP
    .362/.408/.607 14 HR 28 2B

Adam Dunn, Park Adjusted for PETCO
    .263/.351/.549 20 HR 12 2B

Turn Off Ads?