Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

8. Hanigan
    9. pitcher
    1. Hamilton

Hanigan gets on base a lot, so how many times do you think we'll see Hamilton lap Hanigan on the basepaths?

2. Turn Off Ads?

How long does Hannigan have on his contract? According to Cots, he's signed thru next season, and it appears as if that would be his last arbitration season, so he's free to walk unless the Reds resign him. That wouldn't surprise me, but depending on how Mes develops over the next 1.25 seasons, I wouldn't surprise me to see them let Hannigan walk away to make room for a guy like Tucker Barnhart as a once thru the rotation catcher with Mes taking the other 4 days + an occasional rest. W/ the contracts to Votto, Phillips, Bruce, etc... if they can save a few bucks on the backup catcher by putting in a solid defensively in house option it would really help w/ the pay felx.

anywhoo, I guess my point is, we may not have that many opportunities to watch Hannigan on the base paths in front of a Hamilton triple.

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    How long does Hannigan have on his contract? According to Cots, he's signed thru next season, and it appears as if that would be his last arbitration season, so he's free to walk unless the Reds resign him. That wouldn't surprise me, but depending on how Mes develops over the next 1.25 seasons, I wouldn't surprise me to see them let Hannigan walk away to make room for a guy like Tucker Barnhart as a once thru the rotation catcher with Mes taking the other 4 days + an occasional rest. W/ the contracts to Votto, Phillips, Bruce, etc... if they can save a few bucks on the backup catcher by putting in a solid defensively in house option it would really help w/ the pay felx.

anywhoo, I guess my point is, we may not have that many opportunities to watch Hannigan on the base paths in front of a Hamilton triple.
    The Reds own the rights to Hanigan through the end of the 2014 season. I have a feeling they'll be on the same field together at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    No

Little Joe's power makes the comparison ludicrous, especially once you adjust for era.

Also, while Hamilton has done a good job of pumping up his walk rate this year, I seriously doubt he'll ever be as proficient at it as Morgan was. Even if he develops an eye that is equal to Morgan's, he doesn't have the pop in his bat to keep pitchers from challenging him in the strike zone. Drawing walks is a lot harder when pitchers know they can throw a meatball down the middle and not get punished with an extra base hit.

Lastly, he will certainly be a more prolific base stealer than Morgan, he has a LONG way to go before he is as skilled as Morgan was on the bases. Hamilton is way faster than Morgan ever was, but Joe was the king of getting huge leads, taking extra bases, and generally making a nuisance of himself on the basepaths. If Hamilton can ever develop his baserunning SKILLS to go along with his natural gifts, he has a chance to be all-time great in the baserunning department.
    I realize they're different. I just threw out the comparison because #1 they both have an ability to distract pitchers on the basepaths and #2 I'm curious if Hamilton could have the same kind of effect on the Reds offense.

But, yeah, it'll be really interesting to see how much Hamilton can improve as a baserunner. If he improves enough 100 steals is possible. Been awhile since a major league did that. Any chance Joe could give him some pointers?
    Last edited by redsfandan; 08-13-2012 at 02:02 PM.

nm

Hey guys... lots of threads to talk about Billy's Future potential... this one is all about the NOW. We are celebrating his achievements this year as he is on the verge of doing something incredible.

Please help me in keeping this thread about this year and this incredible stolen base record. This is not the thread for argument. Talk about Billy's strengths and weaknesses in other threads, because they pull us 9the Reds community) apart and this thread is all about bringing us together to CELEBRATE his current remarkable achievments.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Hey Hosers (you like my 80's Strange Brew reference?),

Slidin' Billy is up to 139 steals. That's just six away from tying Vince Coleman's minor league record of 145 and seven from breaking it (quick math ... I obviously went to MIT).

Hamilton's player page:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=571740

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Hey guys... lots of threads to talk about Billy's Future potential... this one is all about the NOW. We are celebrating his achievements this year as he is on the verge of doing something incredible.

Please help me in keeping this thread about this year and this incredible stolen base record. This is not the thread for argument. Talk about Billy's strengths and weaknesses in other threads, because they pull us 9the Reds community) apart and this thread is all about bringing us together to CELEBRATE his current remarkable achievments.

Guess I'll just repost this ...
    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    That thursday night game at Mobile looks like the game to be at. Could be historic.

Maybe there could be a RedsZoner with video.
    Happy?

I apologize, I just didn't think it would be that big a deal to pose the question.

I would hope some sort of media would be there covering him with video in the coming days? Local or otherwise?

Senor Votto

4 away from tying it

Two more in the first inning tonight.

As an added bonus, Billy is also 4 steals behind the Southern League Leader, Josh Prince. In the past week, Billy has moved from 8th place to a tie for second.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    As an added bonus, Billy is also 4 steals behind the Southern League Leader, Josh Prince. In the past week, Billy has moved from 8th place to a tie for second.
    This is what I'm hoping for. Naturally I'm rooting for the pro baseball SB record, but I wonder how unique it would be for a player to lead two different minor leagues in an offensive category in the same year.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I will be in Mobile on Friday with vids. I think he ties it on Friday, takes a day off on Saturday, and claims the record on Sunday in Pensacola.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Billy Hamilton is tied with Hak-Ju Lee for second in the Southern League in SBs (37). Lee's been there 116 games, Hamilton 33.
    @BenBadler

Turn Off Ads?