Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Votto

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: Votto

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Rick Sweet (Louisville manager) on a recent Durham radio interview said Joey Votto will hit at the major league league level he knows how to make adjustments.

He then said our job here is to refine other parts of his game. He needs work defensively at 1st base and will play some outfield to add to his versitility for the big leagues.

Appears Joey will bide time playing both spots till he is recalled. They were also amazed in Durham that Jeff Keppinger isn't on a big league roster as a utility man , the guy is a big league hitter in their eyes.

I agree Keppinger is a big-league hitter. The problem is that he doesn't do anything else well at all beyond get hits.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    Doug, do you think those four will be here in August? I don't.
    I hope not, but Dunn is probably the only one who they will trade. Votto however cant play the outfield at all. He makes Dunn look very good out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I hope not, but Dunn is probably the only one who they will trade. Votto however cant play the outfield at all. He makes Dunn look very good out there.
    I haven't seen him play out there.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Rick Sweet (Louisville manager) on a recent Durham radio interview said Joey Votto will hit at the major league league level he knows how to make adjustments.

He then said our job here is to refine other parts of his game. He needs work defensively at 1st base and will play some outfield to add to his versitility for the big leagues.

Appears Joey will bide time playing both spots till he is recalled. They were also amazed in Durham that Jeff Keppinger isn't on a big league roster as a utility man , the guy is a big league hitter in their eyes.

I didn't know Rick Sweet is the Louisville Manager. He used to be the Manager here in Portland.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

So, on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is great and 1 is horrible, Dunn is a 3 and Votto is a 1? (for LF)
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Pretty much.

Votto looks completely lost out there a lot of the time.

Pretty much.

Votto looks completely lost out there a lot of the time.
    Well, in the National League you can only have one of those guys. Many a good team has done well with a guy like that at 1st Base. I know stats don't back it up, but I've heard that Gonzalez and Phillips have the range to make up for it as they can all shift over a little. I've seen EdE's range, and it's great. I've seen Phillips get to a lot of balls in the outfield with his speed, too, but I don't know about his left-right agility. Phillips is also young and will only get better as will Votto and EdE.

Looking forward to seeing him in the starting lineup next March 31st.

If votto has the ability I think its good that he can play LF and 1b. He may not be good but if he is ok then it helps the team. Remember when Pujols can up (I am not even trying to compare Votto to Pujols) and played 1b, 3b, LF, RF. It wasn't until his second or thrid season that he was the every day 1b.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If votto has the ability I think its good that he can play LF and 1b. He may not be good but if he is ok then it helps the team. Remember when Pujols can up (I am not even trying to compare Votto to Pujols) and played 1b, 3b, LF, RF. It wasn't until his second or thrid season that he was the every day 1b.
    I'm not sure how much natural defensive ability Pujols has, but he plays a surprisingly good first base.

Doug, how does Votto rate as a defensive 1st baseman?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

From my understanding, Votto is not nearly as bad at 1B as he is in the OF, but he's still a below-average defensive first baseman.

The Reds have a $1.5 million team option on Hatteberg for 2008 -- the same salary he is making this year. He is very solid defensively (other than his dead arm) and is still a good hitter. Too bad Votto isn't right handed then they could platoon the two because I think the team wants to keep Hatte at that price. But since they are both lefties, Hatte will probably be traded or his option won't be picked up. You have to go with the younger guy next year (or even later this year), and this is coming from a huge Scott Hatteberg fan.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    I'm not sure how much natural defensive ability Pujols has, but he plays a surprisingly good first base.

Doug, how does Votto rate as a defensive 1st baseman?
    I always hear that he 'needs work on his defense' at first base, but the only problem I have really seen from him in the handful of times I have watched him play is that he is undecisive on whether to go for a ball or not into the 1st base/2nd base hole at times, or that he does go into that hole when he shouldnt. As far as his glove over there, I have not seen any real problems as far as him catching a ball over there.

Votto is a brutal 1st baseman. Awful footwoork, and can't pick a thing. Edwin and him will have issues.

Votto was in LF again tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Votto is a brutal 1st baseman. Awful footwoork, and can't pick a thing. Edwin and him will have issues.

Maybe I just catch him on good games then. I dont get to watch him every night, so I can only say what I see. It sounds like you see him more than me so let me ask you this, do you also notice his 1st base/2nd base hole problem or is that something that I just unluckily have gotten to notice?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

I disagree. He is quite passable and will improve. He is a brutally bad LF though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    I disagree. He is quite passable and will improve. He is a brutally bad LF though.
    He's bad in both. He has room for improvemnt in both positions though. He is certainly athletic.

Turn Off Ads?