Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What happened to Blake Stouffer, Reds' 2007 4th round pick?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

What happened to Blake Stouffer, Reds' 2007 4th round pick?

I was just trying to look up stats for him, but it said he was a member of the Nationals organization. And if it's the same guy (and it must be) he was only a 13th round pick this year.

The Reds took him in the fourth round and he doesn't sign, only to be taken in the 13th round the following year? Way to improve your draft stock! But there must be more to the story.

BTW, Blake Stouffer was listed as a 1B from Texas A&M when the Reds drafted him. The Blake Stouffer from Texas A&M that was drafted by the Nationals this year in the 13th round is listed as a 2B.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What happened to Blake Stouffer, Reds' 2007 4th round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I was just trying to look up stats for him, but it said he was a member of the Nationals organization. And if it's the same guy (and it must be) he was only a 13th round pick this year.

The Reds took him in the fourth round and he doesn't sign, only to be taken in the 13th round the following year? Way to improve your draft stock! But there must be more to the story.

BTW, Blake Stouffer was listed as a 1B from Texas A&M when the Reds drafted him. The Blake Stouffer from Texas A&M that was drafted by the Nationals this year in the 13th round is listed as a 2B.
    Same guy. He had a career year in 2007 and we drafted him early. Looks as if he went back to his norms this year and his draft stock fell.

Ouch! I just answered my own question. Check out this link if you aren't familiar with the story: http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s....21553390.html

Sorry about your luck Blake Stouffer. You got some very, very bad advice. As a college graduate, I understand the value of a college eduation. However, you can always go back to school, especially when you just have one year (2 semesters/3 quarters) to finish up. However, you can never go back and get the signing bonus that you would get as a fourth-round pick. Tyler Cline (this year's 4th round pick) is expected to sign for close to $500,000. Maybe Stouffer didn't get quite that much offered to him, but I'm certain it was at least $400,000. Very foolish to turn that down only to be taken in the 13th round the following year. Ouch. Can't say I feel a bit sorry for the kid. The Reds take a chance on him in the fourth round and he turns his back on them and makes a foolish decision? Sorry about your luck.

This situation begs the question, how high a pick does a guy have to be before you get compensation in the following draft if he doesn't sign? I think they should do it for at least the 1st 3 rounds if not 5 rounds. I guess that could get messy but you wouldn't think many in the top 5 rounds would decline.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    This situation begs the question, how high a pick does a guy have to be before you get compensation in the following draft if he doesn't sign? I think they should do it for at least the 1st 3 rounds if not 5 rounds. I guess that could get messy but you wouldn't think many in the top 5 rounds would decline.
    It's certainly something worth considering. However, who knows what the situation with the Reds actually was? Maybe they offered him a lot of coin and he simply refused. What do you do then??

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's certainly something worth considering. However, who knows what the situation with the Reds actually was? Maybe they offered him a lot of coin and he simply refused. What do you do then??
    Oh I don't blame them, it sounds too me like he wasn't ready to become a pro regardless of the $$$'s. Interesting indeed but it cost him dearly in more than one way.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

There are so many things screwed up with the MLB draft. I still can't believe we got TWO first-round compensatory picks in 2007 (Frazier and Lotzkar) for "losing" Rich Aurilia. That one worked in our favor, but it doesn't make it right.

In the same vein, a team like the Reds should not have been penalized this year for signing a guy like Francisco Cordero. Losing a second-round pick when a team goes out and tries to do something to better themselves? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Give non-high revenue teams like the Reds even less incentive to sign big-money free agents.

I agree, losing picks makes no sense

Bleeding Red in the South SoTxRedsFan's Avatar

I know Blake and his family, and lets just say that Money will never be a problem for him. He comes from a wealthy family. His dad played for UT and in the minors for many years. He wanted to finish school. Nothing more, nothing less.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

In the same vein, a team like the Reds should not have been penalized this year for signing a guy like Francisco Cordero. Losing a second-round pick when a team goes out and tries to do something to better themselves? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Give non-high revenue teams like the Reds even less incentive to sign big-money free agents.
    You do understand that the vast majority of Type A FA's are signed by large revenue teams? The rule is in place to help the small market teams. And,for the most part, it does.

But you can't simply choose to ignore it when a small market team signs a FA.

Good for the kid... yeah you may be able to return to school but you will never be able to that unique environment I bet he is still content with his decision

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    I know Blake and his family, and lets just say that Money will never be a problem for him. He comes from a wealthy family. His dad played for UT and in the minors for many years. He wanted to finish school. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Well your only young once, might as well enjoy it.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by SoTxRedsFan View Post
    I know Blake and his family, and lets just say that Money will never be a problem for him. He comes from a wealthy family.
    Is he swimming in that frozen french bread pizza money?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Is he swimming in that frozen french bread pizza money?
    Their headquarters is in Ohio, and their jingle gets stuck in my head practically every week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWRVb...eature=related
    "Good thing there's Stouffer's . . . because my husband can't cook a lick."

Turn Off Ads?