Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

Hey she's on my "fantasy" team.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Official Billy Hamilton SB Record Countdown

nm E-Me.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Looks like Dayton is playing a little free baseball tonight. Dan Jensen worked three innings in relief of Stalin Gerson. He gave up five hits and struck out nobody. But he kept them from scoring. Tied at two after nine.
    I'm really glad to hear this news. Thank you for not wasting your post in a different thread.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I'm really glad to hear this news. Thank you for not wasting your post in a different thread.
    This is why I love copy and paste.

If Billy could get on base at a .300 clip this year, he'd massively upgrade the Reds lead off spot. I think the Reds have to do a serious evaluation about how they might get him on the playoff roster if deemed necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    If Billy could get on base at a .300 clip this year, he'd massively upgrade the Reds lead off spot. I think the Reds have to do a serious evaluation about how they might get him on the playoff roster if deemed necessary.
    If minor league stats translated directly to MLB production, we wouldn't have an issue at the leadoff spot. Heisey had a 365 OBP in the minors, Stubbs had a 363 OBP, Frazier had a 353 OBP and Cozart had a 332 OBP. Problem is, most young players numbers fall off dramatically in their first exposure to MLB pitching. Guys who excel in the majors right out of the gate are exceedingly rare.

Aside from that, where would you play him? I think the pitching staff would mutiny if you took Cozart's reliable and occasionally brilliant glove out of the lineup and replaced it with a rookie with defensive issues. Worse yet, would you replace a gold glove caliber CF with a kid who has never played the outfield and have him learn on the job? Do you really want a suspect glove playing behind your pitching staff in the middle of a pennant race?

I like Hamilton, but he is no way, shape, or form ready to be a major contributor to a major league team in the middle of pennant race. He could be a useful spare part (ie ... as a pinch runner), but not an everyday player.
    Last edited by Steve4192; 08-09-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    If minor league stats translated directly to MLB production, we wouldn't have an issue at the leadoff spot. Heisey had a 365 OBP in the minors, Stubbs had a 363 OBP, Frazier had a 353 OBP and Cozart had a 332 OBP. Problem is, most young players numbers fall off dramatically in their first exposure to MLB pitching. Guys who excel in the majors right out of the gate are exceedingly rare.

Aside from that, where would you play him? I think the pitching staff would mutiny if you took Cozart's reliable and occasionally brilliant glove out of the lineup and replaced it with a rookie with defensive issues. Worse yet, would you replace a gold glove caliber CF with a kid who has never played the outfield and have him learn on the job? Do you really want a suspect glove playing behind your pitching staff in the middle of a pennant race?

I like Hamilton, but he is no way, shape, or form ready to be a major contributor to a major league team in the middle of pennant race. He could be a useful spare part (ie ... as a pinch runner), but not an everyday player.
    Hey guys... Love the discussion about Billy's future, but can you help me keep this thread in the now? The Reds organization is about to have a player break a record for all of professional baseball. Even if he never plays a day in the majors, this is something we should just sit back and enjoy while it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't see Hamilton stealing enough to win the SL SB crown. He has 21 so far and the leader has 39. The Blue Wahoos only have 27 games left. So unless a few guys in the mid to high 30's in steals get hurt or promoted all at the same time, it just isn't going to happen.
    FYI, the incredible may have a chance... In three games, Billy has stolen 6 to be at 27 whereas the league leader only stole one. So the lead has gone from 18 to 13 with 24 games left.

Perhaps Billy reads the boards and thought "why not..."

Actually Baseball America seems pretty interested now. They have their own Billy Hamilton countdown on their main page.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    FYI, the incredible may have a chance... In three games, Billy has stolen 6 to be at 27 whereas the league leader only stole one. So the lead has gone from 18 to 13 with 24 games left.
    Haha. You are right. Last night, the catcher simply didn't have a chance. The guy last night has only thrown out 21% of guys this year. The other catcher on the roster has thrown out 43%, so it will be interesting to see if he has more luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Once he breaks the record, I think the Reds brass will ask him to dial it back a bit.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Christian Bethancourt is the only catcher on the remaining Wahoos schedule that could make this tuff on Billy. Maybe Ed Easley with Mobile.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Haha. You are right. Last night, the catcher simply didn't have a chance. The guy last night has only thrown out 21% of guys this year. The other catcher on the roster has thrown out 43%, so it will be interesting to see if he has more luck.
    I saw your tweet on Billys 3.64 time...anything to add to it here?

Turn Off Ads?