Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In-House Possibilites

In-House Possibilites

With today being an off day and the weekend was very forgettable I thought I would start a topic I have been thinking extensively about lately. What does everybody think about the Reds bringing someone up from the minors in hopes to add a spark to this team?

Look at the Dodgers, they were floundering and underperforming a month ago and brought up Puig. Now look at them. They are in first place and one of the hottest teams in baseball. That's what the Reds need: someone to spark the team to get hot. Obviously, we do not possess anybody with the talents of Puig, but we could use anything at this point.

I do not know if anyone else has noticed, but I have seen a trend where we score well in games where we either score or threaten in the first 2 innings. If we go 1-2-3 in the first and the second then it is usually a long game for us. Our team builds off each other pretty heavily, if we are failing early it seems takes a lot for our team to get going, but if we are scoring early then we pile it on. Our other threads have suggested lack of leadership, an incompetetent manager, a lazy GM, field conditions, injuries, the alignment of the sun and stars, stadium vendors, blue moons, etc. for the way this season has gone.

But the fact of the matter is that our team needs something to spark them. Puig obviously hits well, but he does more things to get his team fired up and want to win. He makes diving catches, steals bases, and does whatever he can to help the team win. I am not saying our guys wouldn't do that, but it seems to me that they are just going through the motions and, at times, don't want to be there. Why not bring a guy up who wants to be there and who wants to prove himself. He could be what this team needs to get guys going and get guys hot.

Look at last year, Votto goes down and the team steps up big time including a 10 game winning streak. Why? Mostly due to Frazier and Ludwick getting hot. Frazier got more playing time and he wanted to be there. I am not saying let's bring up a guy and start him right away, but let's bring up a guy who can play here and there, and add something that this team is lacking: heart.

IMO, a guy trying to prove himself for the coaches, fans, and scouts has a lot more on the line than the guy making 'x' million dollars regardless of what he does at the plate.

My guys who could add a spark to this team:

Billy Hamilton: His assets and personality are perfect for our team's situation. Even most average fans know who he is and what he can do. His average is obviously a concern, but he is catching fire lately. Choo's bum ankle will likely bother him the rest of the season, so let Billy play some CF and move Choo to LF. Wouldn't it be nice to see Billy run down balls hit to the gaps and take away a double from the opposing hitter? And then come in and hit a single and then steal second and then score from Votto or Phillips hit? Or he could just hit a ball to the wall and get a triple. Any one of these would fire up the fans and the team and more likely get something going.

Neftali Soto: he has been up a few times already and I do not think his personality will spark the team (seems quiet to me), but he can add something. He is hitting pretty well and has decent pop to his bat. He can push Frazier at 3B and maybe even outperform him to take over the hot corner. He is a RH bat too which is what we need.

Tucker Barnhart: I do not know much about how he may be on the bench in terms of personality (I would assume he would be pretty quiet on the Reds bench), but he would add something to this team. It seems everytime the past 2 or 3 weeks I read Doug's minor league review, Barnhart is getting RBI seemingly every game. He could definitely bring something to the catcher position (especially since it looks like Hanigan isn't coming back anytime soon). I am sure Bailey would like to be throwing to a younger, more athletic guy than Corky as well.

Mike Hessman: I know he is older, but he has played in the MLB before and he could provide veteran experience this team needs. Older guys generally are not afraid to speak up and fire guys up either. His average is well below what we would want it to be, but you can't deny his power. 22 HR this season and he is challenging the minor league career HR record so he is definitely a power hitter. Could feast at GABP and could easily spark a struggling offense.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

2. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In-House Possibilites

Good stuff. I would like to see Hamilton, Hessman or Barnhart myself.

Hessman is awful. Growing up in Toledo I was forced to watch him for a very long time. He would come up to Cinci and strike out 30 times in 40 ABs

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hessman is awful. Growing up in Toledo I was forced to watch him for a very long time. He would come up to Cinci and strike out 30 times in 40 ABs
    I acknowledged his average is not that high and his strikeouts are obviously a concern. But his power can't be overlooked, especially with the bench we have right now.

Hannahan is hitting .216 with 0 HRs and 11 RBIs

Izturis is hitting .187 with 0 HRs and 8 RBIs.

Miller is hitting .167 with 0 HRs and 3 RBIs.

Hessman this year is hitting .237 with 22 HRs and 43 RBIs.

I am not saying Hessman is the best choice, but he could add the power this team is looking for. Plus the way we are hitting lately, his outs would fit right in with the rest of the team, but his contact could be deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I acknowledged his average is not that high and his strikeouts are obviously a concern. But his power can't be overlooked, especially with the bench we have right now.

Hannahan is hitting .216 with 0 HRs and 11 RBIs

Izturis is hitting .187 with 0 HRs and 8 RBIs.

Miller is hitting .167 with 0 HRs and 3 RBIs.

Hessman this year is hitting .237 with 22 HRs and 43 RBIs.

I am not saying Hessman is the best choice, but he could add the power this team is looking for. Plus the way we are hitting lately, his outs would fit right in with the rest of the team, but his contact could be deadly.
    Hessman does this every year. Trust me - it will not play in the majors.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Hessman does this every year. Trust me - it will not play in the majors.
    My guess is that Walt is looking to upgrade the spots Paul and Izturis are currently taking up, either through a promotion or August trade. I'd love to see Paul replaced with a bonafide righty crusher.

Not gonna happen - what you see is what you get + Ludwick.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitri View Post
    My guess is that Walt is looking to upgrade the spots Paul and Izturis are currently taking up, either through a promotion or August trade. I'd love to see Paul replaced with a bonafide righty crusher.
    I agree that Paul is likely the odd man out in LF when Ludwick comes back. Heisey is a righty bat we need regardless of his production. And DRob has proven to be versatile enough to warrant a roster spot. So I think Paul is out for Ludwick.

But I also think that at least Hannahan should be gone for Soto. Soto bats right and has a little pop too and is hitting decently in AAA.

Again, I think Hamilton adds the spark for this team though. He is a flashy, speedy player that fans would definitely be fired up to see play. I just do not know who you would release or send down to bring him up though. Maybe Heisey gets a 'phantom' injury?

Hopefully, these guys are on the roster before Sept 1 so if they do prove themselves over our otherwise atrocious bench, they can go to the playoffs instead.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I agree that Paul is likely the odd man out in LF when Ludwick comes back. Heisey is a righty bat we need regardless of his production. And DRob has proven to be versatile enough to warrant a roster spot. So I think Paul is out for Ludwick.

But I also think that at least Hannahan should be gone for Soto. Soto bats right and has a little pop too and is hitting decently in AAA.

Again, I think Hamilton adds the spark for this team though. He is a flashy, speedy player that fans would definitely be fired up to see play. I just do not know who you would release or send down to bring him up though. Maybe Heisey gets a 'phantom' injury?

Hopefully, these guys are on the roster before Sept 1 so if they do prove themselves over our otherwise atrocious bench, they can go to the playoffs instead.
    If you ditch Paul, you lose a precious power-lefty bat off the bench. D-Rob is versatile, but with Heisey back, his versatility isn't so important. I think D-Rob goes, but we'll see.
    Just call me Legs

12. Likes:

Kiko (08-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Hamilton's Legs View Post
    If you ditch Paul, you lose a precious power-lefty bat off the bench. D-Rob is versatile, but with Heisey back, his versatility isn't so important. I think D-Rob goes, but we'll see.
    I like DRob because he can play CF too. With Choo hurting, I think we need him. Plus he is a switch hitter and has lots of speed. Plus, IMO, I would much rather have DRob playing over Heisey.

Essentially I know that him and Billy are likely interchangeable with Billy probably better on the basepaths and stealing, but I think you have to have that come playoffs or even down the stretch.

Being able to pinch run one or both of them in an important game has to be crucial to this team that is struggling to find runs. I would much rather have two speedy guys who can wreak havoc on pitchers and catchers and fielders in a close game than one speedy guy you can use once and a power hitter that you hope makes contact.

Well, whatever happens with Paul, Heisey and Robinson when Ludwick comes back, the odd man out will be back on September 1. Or Ludwick may not be activated until September 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I don't see any real sparks. However, making the playoffs will require better success in one run games where the Reds are currently under .500. After Sept 1, I would like to see Hamilton added to pinch run and perhaps steal a game in the standings. Barnhart would be a benefit as a switch hitting catcher that makes good contact. I think the pen could use a sharky presence, so let's bring up Rogers. He looks like the best candidate for the sixth starter/Louisville standby next year, so let him get his feet wet. Further, I would not rule out Yohan Pino or even Lorenzen in the pen as well. I suspect that the latter is being fast tracked with that possibility in mind.

I'm a bit specious that any in-house spark plug is going to light a fire under these guys.

And frankly, I think some of that "lack of fire" type of analysis is a bit reactive. Teams sometimes just play poorly. It's not necessarily for a lack of effort, passion, fire, focus, etc. Sometimes they just get beat. I don't think adding Billy Hamilton to the roster is going to make Brandon Phillips and Todd Frazier hit right-handed pitching.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

17. Likes:

gilpdawg (08-07-2013),HokieRed (08-05-2013),RedEye (08-05-2013)

I am a huge fan of bringing up someone in hopes that it creates a spark....worse case is the players see thst our front office will not sit back and watch mediocrity and stand pat.....if our front office brings young talent up with hopes or creating a spark and the called up player does not hit well, then at least the guys who were not performing now know that their roster spot is not secure......Walt has allowed these guys to get complacent.

19. Likes:

Ironman92 (08-06-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well, whatever happens with Paul, Heisey and Robinson when Ludwick comes back, the odd man out will be back on September 1. Or Ludwick may not be activated until September 1.
    Ludwick is hitting a nice crisp .045 in his rehab. I think September 1 may be the realistic time we see him in Cincy. He's obviously no where near ready to come back.
    I wouldn't be opposed to bringing up Hamilton just to see if could give some sort of spark to the offense. If he can get on base he could create some havoc. But getting on base could be the problem for him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?