Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ohio St. OL Boone arrested in California

Re: Ohio St. OL Boone arrested in California

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Just ask a UC fan about the actions of a few becoming the image of an entire program. It doesn't take much reality to create a perception.
    As a UC fan, reading this has been kind of funny... I know at least a couple OSU fans that have said some similar things about UC. The best Part was the one about ESPN's biased coverage LOL. I hear mostly good things about OSU on ESPN. I think BC was just poking fun, but I'm not sure. I despise OSU, but saying they are a bunch of criminals is a little outlandish to me.

This isn't a big deal to me. If he was caught with drugs then its a different story. It happens in every program. A kid gets drunk, does something stupid. Can't say I haven't seen that scenario before. Sure, he should be more careful since he is in the public's eye, but he is young. He'll get his punishment, probably lose some money over it, and hopefully come out of this a better person. Thats the important part.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Next Year

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I remember more OSU guys in recent years getting into trouble
    Hello confirmation bias.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    I shouldnt even have brought it up I guess.

Ohio state is the classiest school in history of sports and obviously their recent track record is just over exposure and jealously on the part of everyone.
    Thank you. You must feel much better after getting that off your chest

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Boone? Has anyone hear ever known a college-age person (non-athlete) that was arrested for being drunk or doing something stupid while drunk? I have. It happens. 18 to 23 year "kids" do dumb things sometimes.

I'd venture to guess that at least one OSU student is arrested every weekend. Does that mean the whole school has a problem? How about other schools? Think Ivy League schools don't have arrests due to disorderly and/or drunken behavior?

I invite those throwing accusations to give me the number of guys that have been signed to play for OSU while Tressel has been there. Now give the number of players arrested. Is the percentage loads higher than other D-I football programs or loads higher than % of arrests for all college students. That is the kind of proof that I need to see to convince me. Give me facts, not "long lists", "bad track record", etc.
    Alex Boone has a major drinking problem, plain and simple, beyond the scope of a normal college student. He was arrested previously for an underage DUI in April 2006 when he was nearly 2x the legal BA limit (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...405-C2-01.html).

Then in August 2006 Boone had this to say in an interview with the Columbus Dispatch:

Boone, who turned 19 in May, will arrive in Columbus as a sophomore starting left tackle, four months sober, down to 315 pounds after losing 50 pounds of beer weight, and eternally grateful that his actions in the early morning of April 2 didn't end a life or his football career.

"I knew I had a problem. I had been drinking like every night, just terrible drinking," he said. "I'd be down here in Columbus drinking, and I'd wake up . . . and I was like, 'How did I get home last night?' And guys were like, 'you got ripped, and you drove home, and we tried stopping you, and you got into a fight.' And I was like, 'I got a problem,' and I'd try to go sober, and it would last me about three days, and I'd be like, 'I need a beer.'

"Even during the season, I was drinking way more than I should have been. I shouldn't be drinking at all - I'm not of age - but I just realized I'm not mature enough to drink. I'd have one beer, and it would lead to 24 or 36 - there were weekends when in one night I'd be putting down 40.
    Apparently old Alex Boone did not stick to his program. In fact, I can tell you from personal observation he was back to drinking as early as November 2007 because I personally witnessed him walk around a house party with an entire case he appeared to be drinking on his own. Later in the night he supposedly kicked a hole through a door at the same party (I had left, was told this by a friend who stayed). He obviously continues to battle these same problems on a level much more unhealthy than your normal college drinking.

Here are some of the arrest numbers I came up with from OSU during Tressel's tenure:

- 15 arrests players between when Tressel was hired and November 2004 (found in several articles) (6 were recruited by Tressel)
    Additional arrest I found in news stories:
    Jonathon Skeete – May 2005
    Alex Boone – April 2006
    Antonio Henton – September 2007
    Doug Worthington – July 2008
    Eugene Clifford – July 2008
    Nathan Williams - December 2008

And some other problems:
    Troy Smith suspension for taking money
    Santonio Holmes arrested this past summer
    Boone arrest last week
    Clarrett legal situation and arrest
    Ray Small suspension

That was just some stuff I came up with quickly.

I think there might be a problem at OSU but I think the situation has definitely improved since the end of 2004. I think Tressel has run a tighter ship and some of the problems have been isolated and unrelated. I am as big a Buckeye fan as there is but I still recognize there has been a large number of legal problems since Tressel took over in 2001.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    Here are some of the arrest numbers I came up with from OSU during Tressel's tenure:

- 15 arrests players between when Tressel was hired and November 2004 (found in several articles) (6 were recruited by Tressel)
    Additional arrest I found in news stories:
    Jonathon Skeete – May 2005
    Alex Boone – April 2006
    Antonio Henton – September 2007
    Doug Worthington – July 2008
    Eugene Clifford – July 2008
    Nathan Williams - December 2008

And some other problems:
    Troy Smith suspension for taking money
    Santonio Holmes arrested this past summer
    Boone arrest last week
    Clarrett legal situation and arrest
    Ray Small suspension

That was just some stuff I came up with quickly.

I think there might be a problem at OSU but I think the situation has definitely improved since the end of 2004. I think Tressel has run a tighter ship and some of the problems have been isolated and unrelated. I am as big a Buckeye fan as there is but I still recognize there has been a large number of legal problems since Tressel took over in 2001.
    The best part about Antonio Henton is (even if he was joking, which I believe he was) he offered a cop posing as a hooker $20 when he only had $18 or $19 on him. Shrewd negotiation skills, Mr. Henton.

I think too much was made out of the Antonio Henton incident, but I still can't help but laugh that he had negotiated a price of $20 and didn't have $20 on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    The best part about Antonio Henton is (even if he was joking, which I believe he was) he offered a cop posing as a hooker $20 when he only had $18 or $19 on him. Shrewd negotiation skills, Mr. Henton.

I think too much was made out of the Antonio Henton incident, but I still can't help but laugh that he had negotiated a price of $20 and didn't have $20 on him.
    The kid has a future in business for sure.

I also believe that Henton was set up in that episode based on what I heard on the case and other things I heard about him off the field. From what I heard and, on a few occasions saw, he seemed like a nice quiet kid.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    The kid has a future in business for sure.

I also believe that Henton was set up in that episode based on what I heard on the case and other things I heard about him off the field. From what I heard and, on a few occasions saw, he seemed like a nice quiet kid.
    Yeah, IMO Henton is a good kid who was in the wrong place @ the wrong time, partially set up by the Columbus Five-Oh.

Turn Off Ads?