Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

Re: Turning down high paying job. Am I crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Fair enough. Of course he also recorded the song before the whole SoCal/NoCal thing took off. And how many people really are "from California?"
    There's always been a split in how Californian's view themselves. The N/S thing has been going on since at least the late 50's. One of the big factors is that there is almost nothing for almost 300 miles between the Bay Area and Los Angeles. (with the notable exception of a large part of California's Central Valley... which while representing only 1% of farmland in the U.S. produces 8% of our agricultural output). Another factor is that Southern California is way more conservative than Northern California, even with the "Hollywood" influence.

As for native Californian's you'd be surprised. There are 38 million people there and my guess is at least 2/3 of them are from there. I used to live there and still go there for work/pleasure 8-10 times a year and I encounter as many people from there as any place I've ever been. The thing is, in my experience native Californian's rarely move to other states. I don't know the hard statistics but I bet California is in the top 5 states in retaining residency of people that are born there.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    There's always been a split in how Californian's view themselves. The N/S thing has been going on since at least the late 50's. One of the big factors is that there is almost nothing for almost 300 miles between the Bay Area and Los Angeles. (with the notable exception of a large part of California's Central Valley... which while representing only 1% of farmland in the U.S. produces 8% of our agricultural output). Another factor is that Southern California is way more conservative than Northern California, even with the "Hollywood" influence.

As for native Californian's you'd be surprised. There are 38 million people there and my guess is at least 2/3 of them are from there. I used to live there and still go there for work/pleasure 8-10 times a year and I encounter as many people from there as any place I've ever been. The thing is, in my experience native Californian's rarely move to other states. I don't know the hard statistics but I bet California is in the top 5 states in retaining residency of people that are born there.
    I was just kidding about most Californians not being from there, but I do know a lot of people who have moved there for one reason or another. They seem to be the more annoying than lifelong residents because they always want to talk about how much better CA is than wherever they moved from.

As far as the SoCal/NoCal thing, I was speaking more in how hipsters reference it. I don't remember hearing "SoCal" until hearing it on Jim Rome in the late '90s.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Florida = No state and local taxes
    California = TAXES, TAXES AND MORE TAXES

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
    Income taxes you mean, right? Florida has to get their money from somewhere. Sales tax is the likely alternative.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Retired

Income taxes you mean, right? Florida has to get their money from somewhere. Sales tax is the likely alternative.
    Property taxes are also pretty high in many parts of FL, but I assume they are probably worse in California.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Property taxes are also pretty high in many parts of FL, but I assume they are probably worse in California.
    Yeah, I can't speak for CA taxes compared to FL. My experience with living in Ohio is that people complain about having state and local income taxes and "high" property taxes, but when you factor in things like the relative affordability of real estate here, middle of the pack sales tax, utility rates, ample access to fresh water (thank you, snow), and lower general cost of living, it's really quite affordable to live here and the taxes aren't necessarily overly burdensome. I can't see why anyone would want to move to CA unless the job paid at least double what one would be making here. If it were a job you could do here, where $145,000 a nice 4 br/2 bath house in a decent neighborhood, as opposed to SoCal, where you may find yourself paying $600,000 for a 2 br townhouse, why deal with SoCal, especially if you don't have any family or friends there?

Yeah, I can't speak for CA taxes compared to FL. My experience with living in Ohio is that people complain about having state and local income taxes and "high" property taxes, but when you factor in things like the relative affordability of real estate here, middle of the pack sales tax, utility rates, ample access to fresh water (thank you, snow), and lower general cost of living, it's really quite affordable to live here and the taxes aren't necessarily overly burdensome. I can't see why anyone would want to move to CA unless the job paid at least double what one would be making here. If it were a job you could do here, where $145,000 a nice 4 br/2 bath house in a decent neighborhood, as opposed to SoCal, where you may find yourself paying $600,000 for a 2 br townhouse, why deal with SoCal, especially if you don't have any family or friends there?
    It really just depends on what you want from life. I don't particularly like southern California but I could see myself living in the Bay Area very easily, even though I could probably never afford to own a house there.

Can you negotiate for more than $40K? Or is $40K the max? And will they pay for moving expenses? If so, I think I would do it. Moving might be a great experience, even if it's short-term. You can always go back. Money is not everything though and that rings true for me in the field I work in as it doesn't pay all that great.

Anyhow, I was forced to move from Indianapolis to NYC for work (I say forced but I wasn't actually forced) and the experience has been priceless. One I wouldn't trade for anything in the world and I've been in NYC for a little over 4 years now. Granted, NYC is different than Riverside and I'm also younger than you are with fewer commitments and responsibilities, but you might like the new experience because I can guarantee you it will be different than Jax. And it sounds like it's a net positive financially, especially if it's only for a few years. That extra money could go a long way for your retirement potentially.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
    But our property taxes are ludicrous here in Florida.

They may be that way in California, but people in Ohio don't pay 3 or 4 thousand dollars a year- at least I don't think they do.

Texas. No state income tax. low property taxes.

and room to grow. We even have beaches.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

They may be that way in California, but people in Ohio don't pay 3 or 4 thousand dollars a year- at least I don't think they do.
    Insurance is nuts, too! Damn Hurricanes!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I wish my property taxes were 3-4 k a year.

I would kill to pay 3-4k in taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I would kill to pay 3-4k in taxes.
    $1200

But I have a small 1400 square foot house.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

My property taxes were around $3200 on a 1200 square foot house.

IIRC, I paid a lot more in Georgia.

Turn Off Ads?