Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wily Mo starting in CF tonight

Wily Mo starting in CF tonight

ESPN game, if you can stand the Matsuzaka-mania and A-Rod overkill.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wily Mo starting in CF tonight

Starting Wily Mo in centerfield is like starting Adam Dunn at shortstop.

Wily Mo was a terrible outfielder when he played for the Reds. I have never seen a player get slower jumps on the ball. He is absolutely horrible at judging the flight of a baseball.

I was glad to see the $100 million pitcher get pounded last night. When you have the Boston bats piling on the runs for you, you can still get a win even when you suck. But we have Arroyo who pitches extremely well and loses because the Reds can't score runs. I guess a huge payroll cures all ills.

In all fairness, he should be a DH and play every day. But you can only play 1 DH at a time and the Sox have 3. I'd like to see what he could do playing every day somewhere, anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'd like to see what he could do playing every day somewhere, anywhere.

Even Cincinnati?

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Even Cincinnati?

Rem

Even Cincinnati. But I think he'd be a poor fit in the NL.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Well, I too would like to see what Wily Mo could do over a full year and with Dunn and Jr.'s careers tenuous, Hamilton an unknown quantity and Freel simply being Freel..........stranger things have happened. (shrug)

Rem

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I loved the fact that Dice K goes 7 innings, allowed 6 runs and the Boston fans gave him a standing ovation when he left the game.

I wish people would stop saying Wily Mo stinks in Centerfield: IT'S NOT TRUE.

The way he tracks ball in CF vs. the corners is like night and day.

He runs just as well as Josh Hamilton.

He is a GOOD fielding Centerfielder and he demonstrated that whenever he was given regular playing time in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

He is a GOOD fielding Centerfielder and he demonstrated that whenever he was given regular playing time in CF.
    I'll keep saying it because I think he stinks in the outfield, period. I just don't get this idea that he is great in CF but sucks in RF. I realize there are different spins on the ball, but a "good" outfielder can make adjustments. If he was so great in CF, then with his bat don't you think somebody would have given him a full-time job by now? CF is the toughest of the three outfield positions to play, it just makes no sense to me to say that he can play CF great but is terrible in a corner position.

Besides, I remember him making several horrible plays in CF when he was with the Reds. I can't imagine he could have suddenly gotten better in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I'll keep saying it because I think he stinks in the outfield, period. I just don't get this idea that he is great in CF but sucks in RF. I realize there are different spins on the ball, but a "good" outfielder can make adjustments. If he was so great in CF, then with his bat don't you think somebody would have given him a full-time job by now? CF is the toughest of the three outfield positions to play, it just makes no sense to me to say that he can play CF great but is terrible in a corner position.

Besides, I remember him making several horrible plays in CF when he was with the Reds. I can't imagine he could have suddenly gotten better in Boston.
    I haven't seen enough of him to say whether he is good in CF or not. But there are guys who are good in center but bad in the corners. Griffey has struggled this year with a few balls that have come off the bats of right hand hitters. You don't get many balls with a lot of movement in center field, there's more ground to cover but it can be easier to play center than a corner.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Bad or Good in CF, Wily Mo made of the best catches in CF I have ever seen when he literally ran full speed and sprawled himself up against the fence in front the Reds bullpen. Unbelievable.

Edit: Not really sure the point of that post, except that's my first thought when I think of Wily Mo in CF.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

Exactly. The real comedy is the knock on Wily Mo's CF defense often comes from the "if you'd just watch the games" crowd. Apparently they should take their own advice.

He looked fine last night, certainly better than Crisp who's playing exceptionally tentative defense these days. I'm hoping the Sox give him a legit shot in CF. I go to the same PT as Wily Mo and he has nothing but glowing things to say about Pena's attitude and work ethic. Calls him one of the standout athletes he's ever worked with and he's been involved with every major pro and college program in Boston. Wily Mo's a real easy guy to root for.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Exactly. The real comedy is the knock on Wily Mo's CF defense often comes from the "if you'd just watch the games" crowd. Apparently they should take their own advice.
    Thanks for the concern, but I watch plenty of games.

I find it just as comical when someone questions another's knowledge of the game sitting behind a keyboard and monitor.

He made a great play, catching a sinking LD and doubling a runner off 1st, except it looked like a trap on the replay, and the runner didn't know what was going on. Still, he got the call and made the throw.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Wily Mo has great range, athleticism, etc. What he lacks, is good instincts, probably from lack of actual development in his game.

In CF you can be a good fielder with alot of range but below average instincts.

Not so much in the corners.

He is a good fielding CFer IMO

Turn Off Ads?