Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Yonder Alonso

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Yondor Alonso

Is Alonso a senior? If we don't sign him...what happens then? I'm guessing that if he's an underclassman that he'd go back to school and then be re-drafted the following year. But I'm not really sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Is Alonso a senior? If we don't sign him...what happens then? I'm guessing that if he's an underclassman that he'd go back to school and then be re-drafted the following year. But I'm not really sure.
    He is a junior and could go back to school. Seniors have the option of not signing and playing independent ball, but not too often does anyone take that route.

He's a Junior

Watch, he won't sign, we will then get the 7b. pick next year and we take him again there and he ends up having to sign for less cause he lost his leverage

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    He's a Junior. If he goes back to school, we get an equivilant pick in next year's draft.

I think with next year's class, Alonso would go higher.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

He's going to sign, but it's pretty bush league by the Reds that it's taking this long IMO. Quit freakin around and get this thing done!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    He's going to sign, but it's pretty bush league by the Reds that it's taking this long IMO. Quit freakin around and get this thing done!
    You pretend as if its the Reds fault. No one has really signed a top college pick yet. Are all of these teams bush league?

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think with next year's class, Alonso would go higher.
    He has nowhere to go back in college but down.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You pretend as if its the Reds fault. No one has really signed a top college pick yet. Are all of these teams bush league?
    Yes, the Pirates and Orioles are bush league. Apparently the Rays are not.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Yes, the Pirates and Orioles are bush league. Apparently the Rays are not.
    They went over slot and MLB was not happy about it. Fact is, almost every year its like this. Everyone else waits for the first college guy to sign, then the rest follow suit.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    He has nowhere to go back in college but down.
    Have you seen the draft class for next year? It's infinitely weaker.

While he would have a weaker college team to work with next year, as long as he puts up similar numbers to what he did this year he would have a very good chance at going higher.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Have you seen the draft class for next year? It's infinitely weaker.

While he would have a weaker college team to work with next year, as long as he puts up similar numbers to what he did this year he would have a very good chance at going higher.
    And he would be a year without salary (well I will pretend Miami doesn't pay), a year futher from arbitration, a year farther from free agency. He may make up the money by getting picked higher but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    And he would be a year without salary (well I will pretend Miami doesn't pay), a year futher from arbitration, a year farther from free agency. He may make up the money by getting picked higher but I doubt it.
    It is hard to see how he could come out better more than a few pennies on the dollar by going back in the draft. If he had great athleticism I could see someone throwing a lot more money but since he is an average athlete at best who is limited to first base he really has little to gain by going back.

I think he will sign, close to the deadline. There is a logjam that likely won't break for a few more weeks.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He is a junior and could go back to school. Seniors have the option of not signing and playing independent ball, but not too often does anyone take that route.
    I kinda figured that was the case. Well several 1st rounders have signed now so I guess it'll happen fairly soon now that the market's getting set. Thanks for the heads up though.

Waiting it out is the leverage Alonso has - the closer it gets to the deadline the more the Reds might up their offer a bit. Not many others have signed so there is no hurry for the kid - I don't blame him for eking out every bit he can get.

As for taking him next year if the Reds get 7B - I think the rule is the Reds CANNOT redraft him without his permission.

Turn Off Ads?