Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Re: SEC Football discussion thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Notre Dame had 5 wins last year that were 7 points or less including 3 point wins against Purdue, BYU and OT against Pitt. Ohio State has one 7 point win against the best opponent on their schedule to date Wisconsin, every other win has been double digits. Outside of Mark May telling you so, what supports your theory that Ohio State has a 2012 Notre Dame feel to them?
    Straw dogs.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Texas is still a top job, but with all that has happened within the Big 12, I just wonder if it is just as good as it used to be?

The reason I say this is Texas A&M. With the Aggies messy divorce into the SEC, it has basically opened up the rich fertile recruiting from the state of Texas to SEC schools. Texas A&M and basically any of the SEC West schools can now offer the ability to play in the SEC and twice a year return home to the state of Texas to play in front of friends and family.

This isn't Urban Meyer going to Ohio State and being able to cherrypick the top talent in the Buckeye State. Saban will get his share of talent, but he is going to have to fight other Big 12 schools and Texas A&M to get it.

If Saban takes it, I'd think Kirby Smart would be the top choice for Alabama. If he doesn't Art Briles should be the top pick in Austin. If neither happen, they might as well stick with Mack Brown because there really isn't anybody better who would leave their current job.
    I pretty much agree with everything jojo said but addressing your points:

I'd say that while UT is down now, they certainly aren't out. They bring in the most money of any program. More than Bama, more than tOSU and more than Notre Dame. They are #1 in the hearts and minds of a lot of Texans. A&M is popular now but what happens when Manziel goes pro after this year? If they go back to mediocrity the bandwagonners are going to jump right back to UT if they get back to elite status. As for the status of the conference, with or without Saban, if the Big 12 breaks up, they can write their own ticket. The Big 10, Pac 12, SEC and ACC will come calling. Heck, UT could even be independent much like ND since both have their own TV network. Saban just sweetens the pot. If the Big 12 doesn't break up, with Saban they are still a powerhouse - again, much like ND where a 1 or 2 loss ND is ranked higher than an undefeated or 1 loss team from another conference.

I think that door to Texas has been open to teams all over the country for decades. Hayden Fry recruited Texas heavily when he first started at Iowa in the late 70s. And that was before the proliferation of cable and social media. It's a smaller world now and recruiters aren't shackled to their home state or region of the country anymore.

tOSU can cherrypick the top Ohio talent whether the coach is Urban Meyer or Joe Schmoe. Saban fights Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Miami, Florida St. for the top talent now. If he goes to UT he's still going to be fighting those schools for that talent as well as A&M but that's why Saban is Saban. He gets that top talent away from those schools and wins championships.

If you are the new AD at UT do you fire Brown if you can be assured of getting Saban?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Straw dogs.
    So you don't. Ok thanks.

So you don't. Ok thanks.
    I've told you twice now... they aren't as good as their record and beating up on the Purdues of the world is promoting a sense of illusory superiority within the Buckeye fan base that isn't shared by the rest of the country.

And, you're welcome.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I've told you twice now... they aren't as good as their record and beating up on the Purdues of the world is promoting a sense of illusory superiority within the Buckeye fan base that isn't shared by the rest of the country.

And, you're welcome.
    But they have beat up virtually everyone except for Northwestern. Some games they played a little sloppy, but won fairly easily. Up to this point their schedule isn't any worse than Alabama's and no one is saying that they aren't as good as their record and they have have sense of illusory superiority.

And you haven't told me anything twice. You made a statement without stating why you think that. You typed some more words in your last reply, but still did the same thing.

But they have beat up virtually everyone except for Northwestern. Some games they played a little sloppy, but won fairly easily. Up to this point their schedule isn't any worse than Alabama's and no one is saying that they aren't as good as their record and they have have sense of illusory superiority.

And you haven't told me anything twice. You made a statement without stating why you think that. You typed some more words in your last reply, but still did the same thing.
    You mean they have beat up virtually everyone except Wisconsin, Northwestern and Iowa. In other words, you aren't being accurate in your perception of OSU's dominance.

I get it. You like the Buckeyes. It's just that you like the Buckeyes more than the rest of the country does. BTW, it's pretty apparent what straw dog means and it's not like you haven't heard my arguments for why OSU has a tough road to getting into the Championship game despite the possibility of them being undefeated.
    Last edited by jojo; 11-08-2013 at 07:11 PM.

We've seen this happen before only to see OSU get blown out on the national stage. I don't blame OSU. It's the weakness of the B10 that's mainly to blame

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    We've seen this happen before only to see OSU get blown out on the national stage. I don't blame OSU. It's the weakness of the B10 that's mainly to blame
    Right once 6 years ago. Other than that they've been the best BCS team in college football.

Right once 6 years ago. Other than that they've been the best BCS team in college football.
    Once? Let me guess...you're not considering LSU's trouncing of the Buckeyes in New Orleans as a blow out? OSU spent most of the 2nd half down 3 TDs. They did score a late TD to close the gap to 14 pts. So now OSU homers are saying it wasn't a "trouncing"? Let me say this: It was not a compelling game to watch. LSU was comfortably ahead the entire 2nd half. In hindsight OSU was over ranked due to how they looked playing Big Ten opponents all year. It skewed their record and made them look better than they really were.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Once? Let me guess...you're not considering LSU's trouncing of the Buckeyes in New Orleans as a blow out? OSU spent most of the 2nd half down 3 TDs. They did score a late TD to close the gap to 14 pts. So now OSU homers are saying it wasn't a "trouncing"? Let me say this: It was not a compelling game to watch. LSU was comfortably ahead the entire 2nd half. In hindsight OSU was over ranked due to how they looked playing Big Ten opponents all year. It skewed their record and made them look better than they really were.
    That was a bizarre game, probably teetering on blow out. That game was decided on about 3 or 4 plays that took it from close game to possible OSU win to comfortable LSU win.

That wasn't a great OSU team and probably shouldn't have been in that game, but LSU probably shouldn't have been in it either, just worked out that way. OSU was overranked due to everyone else in college football being extremely medicore that year.

In any event games that happend 5 and 6 years ago should have absolutely no bearing on how this season shakes out. If that is how voters and fans are basing their preceptions I find that incredibly lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I pretty much agree with everything jojo said but addressing your points:

I'd say that while UT is down now, they certainly aren't out. They bring in the most money of any program. More than Bama, more than tOSU and more than Notre Dame. They are #1 in the hearts and minds of a lot of Texans. A&M is popular now but what happens when Manziel goes pro after this year? If they go back to mediocrity the bandwagonners are going to jump right back to UT if they get back to elite status. As for the status of the conference, with or without Saban, if the Big 12 breaks up, they can write their own ticket. The Big 10, Pac 12, SEC and ACC will come calling. Heck, UT could even be independent much like ND since both have their own TV network. Saban just sweetens the pot. If the Big 12 doesn't break up, with Saban they are still a powerhouse - again, much like ND where a 1 or 2 loss ND is ranked higher than an undefeated or 1 loss team from another conference.

I think that door to Texas has been open to teams all over the country for decades. Hayden Fry recruited Texas heavily when he first started at Iowa in the late 70s. And that was before the proliferation of cable and social media. It's a smaller world now and recruiters aren't shackled to their home state or region of the country anymore.

tOSU can cherrypick the top Ohio talent whether the coach is Urban Meyer or Joe Schmoe. Saban fights Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia, Miami, Florida St. for the top talent now. If he goes to UT he's still going to be fighting those schools for that talent as well as A&M but that's why Saban is Saban. He gets that top talent away from those schools and wins championships.

If you are the new AD at UT do you fire Brown if you can be assured of getting Saban?
    If I'm Steve Patterson (shocked it wasn't Ollie Luck), I'd have Art Briles in the back pocket in case things fall through with Saban. My gut feel is Saban will leave though and Alabama will promote Kirby Smart to take over.

I also don't buy that he will come in and dominate the Big 12 either. Bob Stoops is still coaching at Oklahoma and if Briles stays at Baylor (don't see him leaving except for another Texas school) they are becoming the Oregon of the midwest. Although to be fair, it's still a step down from the SEC in terms of competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Vandy is knocking the snot out of the Gators and the Vols have simply been emasculated by Auburn. I think the epicenter of college football in Tennessee is in Nashville.

Vandy is knocking the snot out of the Gators and the Vols have simply been emasculated by Auburn. I think the epicenter of college football in Tennessee is in Nashville.
    Until James Franklin gets hired away somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Until James Franklin gets hired away somewhere.
    I'm not a huge Franklin fan. I think he has found his level.

NL Central champs

If I'm Steve Patterson (shocked it wasn't Ollie Luck), I'd have Art Briles in the back pocket in case things fall through with Saban. My gut feel is Saban will leave though and Alabama will promote Kirby Smart to take over.
    I am biased, but I don't think there is any chance that Saban goes to Texas. He is old and his wife, Terry, loves Tuscaloosa. I think a lot of this is posturing by Saban's agent to get more money.

Turn Off Ads?