Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Check out The Vineyards and Lassing Pointe which are to of my favorites in this area.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Thanks for the help everyone. I checked out the choices online, and was able to get a tee time at the Vineyard on Saturday morning. But I'll bookmark the others to try out on return trips to the area.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Had a great time playing the Vineyard on Saturday. Nice course, and a good pace of play out there. Great weather, Reds sweep ... what more could I ask for.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Had a great time playing the Vineyard on Saturday. Nice course, and a good pace of play out there. Great weather, Reds sweep ... what more could I ask for.
    Glad you enjoyed it. Was one of my favorites years ago but haven't been back out in 10 years. The only problem I had with that course is #18, stupid hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. Was one of my favorites years ago but haven't been back out in 10 years. The only problem I had with that course is #18, stupid hole.
    The one with the windmill that keeps knocking your ball back? I hate that hole too.

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I have a Tee Time at Indian Ridge in Oxford for Thursday. Has anyone ever played there? Nice course?
    Coincidentally, I played Indian Ridge the day you posted this message. If you ended up playing Thursday, you now know that the suspicions of this board rang true. The course was burnt out pretty badly. The greens were in pretty good shape, but the tee boxes and fairways were rough. It's a fun course to play, otherwise, but like the others said, it's pretty easy. I doubled the first hole, but then 16 holes later, stepped up to the #18 tee needing par for a 38 on the back and 79 total. Of course, I promptly hit my approach in the woods and doubled for a 40/81.

Later that day, we shot up to Hueston Woods for another 18 holes, hoping to get the old $10 after 4 PM special they offered when we were students at Miami. Not so much...it was $27 which was twice as much as we paid at Indian Ridge. (Thank you golfnow.com for the $12 rate.)

Strange thing about that day - there were storms popping up all over Indiana and Ohio. Cincy was getting pounded with rain, lightning and thunder. We could hear the rumbles and see the menacing clouds, but in 36 holes, not a single drop of rain dampened our day in Oxford. I did splatter Skyline on my shirt between rounds, though, because there was no A/C in Skipper's.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    Later that day, we shot up to Hueston Woods for another 18 holes, hoping to get the old $10 after 4 PM special they offered when we were students at Miami. Not so much...it was $27 which was twice as much as we paid at Indian Ridge. (Thank you golfnow.com for the $12 rate.)
    How is Hueston conditioned these days. I used to go out there and play their twilight rate all the time in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was one of my favorite courses. I went back there again a few years ago and couldn't believe how they had let the course go. I'm hoping they have got it back under control as it was one of the funnest tracks around.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    How is Hueston conditioned these days. I used to go out there and play their twilight rate all the time in the late 90s, early 2000s. It was one of my favorite courses. I went back there again a few years ago and couldn't believe how they had let the course go. I'm hoping they have got it back under control as it was one of the funnest tracks around.
    I don't know if I can give it a fair assessment given it's the middle of July and rain has been sparse. However, under these unfavorable conditions, I thought the course was in very good shape. It was not burnt out at all so they must be watering like crazy.

If you have the chance to go back to Oxford, I'd give it another whirl. Number 16 is still a *****.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Oh I remember 16. For some reason, it was one that never really destroyed me. #11 was my waterloo on that course.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Oh I remember 16. For some reason, it was one that never really destroyed me. #11 was my waterloo on that course.
    I can't argue with that. 11 doesn't have to be so difficult, but I get stupid on my second shot every time. Instead of pulling out a hybrid, I reach for the 3-wood. A week later, I'm still regretting it.

16 is just merciless. From the blues, it's 205, all carry, over a large pond. The green is narrow and protected by bunkers on both sides, and if you go deep, you have to chip/putt downhill. Plus, there's always about four tons of goose turds scattered about the putting surface like mines on a warfield.

So I'm heading to a wedding in downtown Cincy next week, and looking for a nearby course to play. I'll be playing with a guy who has literally played 3 rounds in his life, and is terrible, so we're not looking for the greatest course in the world. Any suggestions for something close to downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    So I'm heading to a wedding in downtown Cincy next week, and looking for a nearby course to play. I'll be playing with a guy who has literally played 3 rounds in his life, and is terrible, so we're not looking for the greatest course in the world. Any suggestions for something close to downtown?
    Reeves at Lunken. Does that course still exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    I can't argue with that. 11 doesn't have to be so difficult, but I get stupid on my second shot every time. Instead of pulling out a hybrid, I reach for the 3-wood. A week later, I'm still regretting it.

16 is just merciless. From the blues, it's 205, all carry, over a large pond. The green is narrow and protected by bunkers on both sides, and if you go deep, you have to chip/putt downhill. Plus, there's always about four tons of goose turds scattered about the putting surface like mines on a warfield.
    Played it once, chipped in from the fringe for a birdie.
    Sorry, couldn't let it pass.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Great layout. Tough course. It was always in poor shape when I played it. And I probably have played it 100+ times. Those blue grass fairways were awful. Fliers and bad lies all over the place. I really wish they'd put bent in on every hole instead of just #13.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Great layout. Tough course. It was always in poor shape when I played it. And I probably have played it 100+ times. Those blue grass fairways were awful. Fliers and bad lies all over the place. I really wish they'd put bent in on every hole instead of just #13.
    I guess it's all relative. Back when I was playing out there regularly, it was probably the nicest course I played. Other than Hueston, I played Twin Run in Hamilton and occasionally Fairfield. Hueston seemed far superior to me then.

Turn Off Ads?