Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Basketball

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Re: Indiana Basketball

Speaking of past recruiting classes, here they are. Read 'em and weep.

http://mypage.iu.edu/~dyeskie/iurecruitsbyyear.html
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

2. Likes:

Assembly Hall (02-24-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Michael Lewis was a scorer in high school. I do believe he led the state his senior year at over 30 ppg. He gets to IU and he forgets to shoot? Guyton was something else, he was a player.
    Yeah I remember early on in their freshman years, it felt like they were in the opposite roles they ended up in.
    Guyton seemed like the point guard who could see guys making cuts before they did. Lewis was the scorer. But for whatever reason Lewis never was able to score at a high level, and Guyton became the absolute focal point of the offense.

Of all the guys in the mid to late 90's though, he's probably not in the top 10 of guys I would be frustrated with how his career turned out. The 92-95 classes of guys were the bottom of the barrel. A who's who of talent unrealized(Charlie Miller), statistically good but still disappointing(Patterson) big tall stiffs(Mandeville, Eggars, Mujezinovich) and assorted transfers before during and after they stepped on campus.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I disagree. Let me see.............Quinn Buckner, Scott May, Butch Carter, Isiah Thomas, Jim Thomas, Tony Brown, Dean Garrett, Keith Smart?????????

RMK's downfall was when guys from out of state weren't as good as the hype.....Andrae Patterson, Charlie Miller, Richard Mandeville, Jason Collier...etc.

But I will agree that IU doesn't need to go outside the state to find competitive talent.
    Actually I should have said outside of the region, RMK recruited Ohio,Indiana and Illionis mostly occasionally going into Wisconsin.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Michael Lewis was a scorer in high school. I do believe he led the state his senior year at over 30 ppg. He gets to IU and he forgets to shoot? Guyton was something else, he was a player.
    Different roles, Lewis wasn't asked to be a big time scorer at IU.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Speaking of past recruiting classes, here they are. Read 'em and weep.

http://mypage.iu.edu/~dyeskie/iurecruitsbyyear.html
    Great link!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Different roles, Lewis wasn't asked to be a big time scorer at IU.
    Well, he sure as heck wasn't recruited to pass the ball. Knight lands a kid that scored over 2,000 points in high school then calls him into his office and says "Mike, we don't want you to shoot the ball"? LOL

I know he fell into a role, but I felt he didn't shoot the ball enough. I do believe he shot the ball at a 50% clip for the Hoosiers in his career.

Well, he sure as heck wasn't recruited to pass the ball. Knight lands a kid that scored over 2,000 points in high school then calls him into his office and says "Mike, we don't want you to shoot the ball"? LOL

I know he fell into a role, but I felt he didn't shoot the ball enough. I do believe he shot the ball at a 50% clip for the Hoosiers in his career.
    Most kids who play at big time colleges are scorers in high school, not everyone's skill set translates into being a huge scorer in college. Lewis had a good career at IU.

10. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-24-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Most kids who play at big time colleges are scorers in high school, not everyone's skill set translates into being a huge scorer in college. Lewis had a good career at IU.

Really? Never made the connection!!!!! LOL 2,000 points in Indiana High School Basketball is a rare commodity. He could flat out shoot it, and did for his entire high school career. Think about it, 20 games a year is the norm. What does the math come up to?

I get the translation part all too well. I am just saying that I scratched my head about Lewis not scoring. I didn't knock his career at IU and never intended to.

Really? Never made the connection!!!!! LOL 2,000 points in Indiana High School Basketball is a rare commodity. He could flat out shoot it, and did for his entire high school career. Think about it, 20 games a year is the norm. What does the math come up to?

I get the translation part all too well. I am just saying that I scratched my head about Lewis not scoring. I didn't knock his career at IU and never intended to.
    He was like 6'1" and wasn't the quickest guy in the world. Jeff Olliphant scored a ton in high school too, Delray Brooks was unstoppable in high school but could not score at IU, it happens. One thing I liked about Lewis was he would go back at RMK, didn't see that often.

13. Likes:

Hoosier Red (02-24-2014)

What an entertaining game to watch last night! Am I wrong in thinking that sealed an NIT bid?

15. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-28-2014)

Of course last night's game is the one I decide to skip and watch at home... Most fun game of the year. IU morphed from a team that plays great defense and can't score to a team that can't miss or play defense. Obviously it would be nice to see them combine offense and defense, but I'd much rather watch a game in the 80s than a game in the 50s.

Very happy for Sheehey. This has been a rough season as a team, but especially for him. A lot was expected of him and he hasn't really delivered. But last night he was a star. It was also good to see Hollowell contribute some real minutes. His stat line wasn't great, but just being consistently aggressive is good to see.

17. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-28-2014),Hoosier Red (02-28-2014),Razor Shines (02-28-2014),Revering4Blue (02-28-2014)

I am now convinced that the point of Tom Crean and Co. is to drive the IU fanbase nuts.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

19. Likes:

Hillsdale87 (02-28-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I am now convinced that the point of Tom Crean and Co. is to drive the IU fanbase nuts.
    It's not a drive. It's a short putt.

I keep thinking of the Godfather.
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's not a drive. It's a short putt.

I keep thinking of the Godfather.
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
    All we gotta do is win the B1G Tourney and we're in...then anything can happen.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    All we gotta do is win the B1G Tourney and we're in...then anything can happen.
    I think they can get in without winning the tourney.... they just have to beat both Michigan and Ohio State. Not likely, but not impossible.

23. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-28-2014)

Turn Off Ads?