Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds need to shake things up in the WC game.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Reds need to shake things up in the WC game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Yeah I mean, how on earth did they ever win 90 games with things as bad as they are? The sky is definitely going to fall for real this time.
    Okay, but they haven't really been able to get hot all season. Who cares about 90 wins. That's great... but it wasn't enough. Wasn't the goal this year to win a playoff series?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Okay, but they haven't really been able to get hot all season. Who cares about 90 wins. That's great... but it wasn't enough. Wasn't the goal this year to win a playoff series?
    What wasn't enough? They're in the playoffs and they start Tuesday.

Are you preemptively writing the season off as a failure based on not winning a playoff series before the playoffs begin?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    You can go 1-0, 3-2, 4-3 and 4-3 and win the World Series. Never once having to get hot.

What wasn't enough? They're in the playoffs and they start Tuesday.

Are you preemptively writing the season off as a failure based on not winning a playoff series before the playoffs begin?
    It wasn't enough that they didn't win 90 games the way people wanted them too. More consistently with their offense. Or more hot streaks (which of course would mean more losing streaks). Or with more "fire" or with more throwing bases at umpires. Or something.

6. Likes:

Brutus (09-29-2013),Homer Bailey (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It wasn't enough that they didn't win 90 games the way people wanted them too. More consistently with their offense. Or more hot streaks (which of course would mean more losing streaks). Or with more "fire" or with more throwing bases at umpires. Or something.
    Indeed. And yet someone will inevitably show up to say we aren't allowing for "rational" discussion because they're allowed to be "critical."
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Indeed. And yet someone will inevitably show up to say we aren't allowing for "rational" discussion because they're allowed to be "critical."
    They clearly haven't paid attention to my posting habits here or on twitter then.

9. Likes:

Brutus (09-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Big Klu..."sleazeball politics" with waiver wire claims? Claiming guys to block competitors from getting them post trade-deadline is SOP...
    It was hardly ever done until Jimbo started doing it. Before then, GM's had a gentlemen's agreement, "I won't claim the guys you want if you won't claim the guys I want."
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

He didn't improve the team, though. A .311 wOBA, for a premium position, is really poor. The MLB average for first basemen this year is .333. To give perspective, Casey Kotchman's career wOBA was .313.

Ignore the name "Morneau" for a moment and imagine the Pirates trading for Casey Kotchman and try to tell me that is an upgrade.
    You're using a 25 game sample (92 PA).

For some context, Morneau's combined 2013 wOBA is .321. Which on the Reds roster ranks behind only Votto, Choo, Bruce and Paul. I imagine the Pirates saw an opportunity to add a decent LH bat, for relatively little in return, which would give them additional options for lineup/roster construction. That he's underperformed since the trade shouldn't cloud the decision making at the time.

He sure would be appealing to me as a lefty PH off the bench in the playoffs instead of one of Hanrahan or Izturis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    You're using a 25 game sample (92 PA).

For some context, Morneau's combined 2013 wOBA is .321. Which on the Reds roster ranks behind only Votto, Choo, Bruce and Paul. I imagine the Pirates saw an opportunity to add a decent LH bat, for relatively little in return, which would give them additional options for lineup/roster construction. That he's underperformed since the trade shouldn't cloud the decision making at the time.

He sure would be appealing to me as a lefty PH off the bench in the playoffs instead of one of Hanrahan or Izturis.
    He was a below average option when they acquired him (which I said at the time so I'm being consistent about this).

If you're concerned about simply acquiring a left-handed pinch hitter for the playoffs, first and foremost, I would not acquire a guy who can only play one position and I would also not acquire a guy who is paid several million to be nothing more than a pinch hitter. There are many better options out there than a one-position, multi-million, .321 wOBA hitter.

He was a below average option when they acquired him (which I said at the time so I'm being consistent about this).

If you're concerned about simply acquiring a left-handed pinch hitter for the playoffs, first and foremost, I would not acquire a guy who can only play one position and I would also not acquire a guy who is paid several million to be nothing more than a pinch hitter. There are many better options out there than a one-position, multi-million, .321 wOBA hitter.
    It's a shame Walt couldn't find one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    It was hardly ever done until Jimbo started doing it. Before then, GM's had a gentlemen's agreement, "I won't claim the guys you want if you won't claim the guys I want."
    HUH?
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232 View Post
    It's a shame Walt couldn't find one.
    If worrying about a left-handed pinch hitter is one of the Reds' biggest problems, it just, again, shows that things aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubba View Post
    HUH?
    Prior to "Wonderboy" Jim Bowden's tenure as Reds GM, general managers rarely ever claimed players off waivers to block them from going to a competitor. GM's worked from a gentlemen's agreement where the premise was, "I will not block a trade that you want to make, and in return you will not block a trade that I want to make in the future. On the other hand, if I'm actually interested in acquiring that same player, then that's a different story and all bets are off."

GM's didn't start routinely claiming players off waivers solely to block other clubs from getting them until Bowden. The first time I can remember it happening was when he claimed Mariano Duncan from the Phillies in 1995 so that the Braves couldn't get him. The Reds didn't actually have any interest in Duncan--they just didn't want Atlanta to have him.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Shuffle the deck chairs all you want, the fact of the matter is this offense isn't any good, and you can make all of the changes you want, but it isn't going to mean a thing at this point. Let's just hope Cueto shows up in a big way.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Shuffle the deck chairs all you want, the fact of the matter is this offense isn't any good, and you can make all of the changes you want, but it isn't going to mean a thing at this point. Let's just hope Cueto shows up in a big way.
    You know that Baker must be one hell of a coach to win 90 games with this sorry team. I read on here all the time how bad that he is. I'm confused .
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Turn Off Ads?