Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Re: Criticisms of Fox Sports Ohio Broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    "And this game is underway"
    "And this one belongs to the Reds"
    "This is the ole lefthander rounding third and heading for home'

My childhood in 3 sentences. I can't begin to describe my joy when I found WLW on the internet after not hearing those words for 2 decades.
    That post was a good old good one.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-28-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    That post was a good old good one.
    18,592 (or select your own attendance figure) showed up to see tonight's titanic struggle between the Reds and the ____.

I smile every time I hear that.

5. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-28-2013)

Some of my favorite baseball memories are hearing Joe in the background yelling, "Get out of here, baseball!! Get out of here!!!" just before Marty told us it was a HR.

And while he didn't do it often, there were times Joe was critical. I particularly remember he would throw in a sarcastic "We sure are getting tricky around here" when a Reds player would make a boneheaded baserunning play.

It's pretty cheesy. I hope the Reds' can "upgrade" in the near future.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Some of my favorite baseball memories are hearing Joe in the background yelling, "Get out of here, baseball!! Get out of here!!!" just before Marty told us it was a HR.

And while he didn't do it often, there were times Joe was critical. I particularly remember he would throw in a sarcastic "We sure are getting tricky around here" when a Reds player would make a boneheaded baserunning play.
    I remember his being particularly rough on Larkin after he botched a routine play in his later years. He said something to the effect "Barry Larkin has lost it" and I was shocked that Joe would say something like that. Maybe he was in a bad mood that day. Doesn't mean I think less of the man. I still miss him.

And the "get out of here" thing still stays with me. When I go to games, I yell it out on a long fly ball.

I like the old depressed other team HR call.

(insert player here) swings...and it's a 2-1 ballgame. Sounding like someone just killed a puppy. Always cracked me up.

For those who didn't hear the radio broadcast tonight (Friday) Marty and Jim spent almost the entire 8th inning talking about Joe. I can't remember if it was the top or bottom of the inning but it's worth a listen for us old schoolers who remember the old days.
    Last edited by gilpdawg; 04-27-2013 at 04:26 AM.

9. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-30-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

It can always be worse. Harold Reynolds said today that Brandon Phillips is on fire right now. He of the 0-13 and 1 for his last 19.

Harold Reynolds is proof that there's an announcing job out there somewhere for even the worst of the worst.

12. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (04-27-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Harold Reynolds is proof that there's an announcing job out there somewhere for even the worst of the worst.
    Thing about Reynolds is, just like Brantley, is that he's very good when talking about things he knows, like breaking down infield play, like when they do those Diamond Demos. Anything else and it seems like he just makes stuff up. To quote the legend Joe Garagiola, the only thing he knows about pitching is that he can't hit it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (04-27-2013)

Droll, yes. Quite droll. FlightRick's Avatar

Reynolds also has the benefit of being pretty likeable and charismatic. His areas of expertise do seem limited, but at least when he's wrong, he's wrong in a breezy and personable way. In fact, it's the interplay among the various MLBNet guys that I enjoy: they all like their job and like each other, even if they don't all agree.

That said: if Harold Reynolds is going to be looking for credibility among relatively serious baseball fans, MLB Network did him zero favors by casting him as the buffoon on the new "MLB Now" show.

Rick

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlightRick View Post
    Reynolds also has the benefit of being pretty likeable and charismatic.
    Some of his female former co-workers at ESPN might beg to differ with that assessment.

http://deadspin.com/189733/was-this-...ld-got-the-axe
    /r/reds

Reynolds reminds me of a friend's little brother. The kid that always hung around the big kids and was a little annoying, but was a pretty good player when you weren't noticing and everyone liked him anyhow.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Reynolds is good at explaining the mechanics of the game. Aside from that, I've heard him say some of the most egregiously dumb things about baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Some of his female former co-workers at ESPN might beg to differ with that assessment.

http://deadspin.com/189733/was-this-...ld-got-the-axe
    I don't ever remember seeing that was ever proven, only an allegation.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

20. Likes:

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I like the old depressed other team HR call.

(insert player here) swings...and it's a 2-1 ballgame. Sounding like someone just killed a puppy. Always cracked me up.
    I distinctly remember a particular game when I was in high school, would have been around 1985 or 1986. The Reds were playing San Diego at home and the game went extras. I was lying in bed listening to the game on a transistor radio waiting for the game to end before I went to sleep. Tony Gwynn hit a homer to put the Padres up 2-1 in the top of the 10th. I still remember Joe's call like it was yesterday. "Gwynn swings and it's 2-1." Then there was just a bit of silence until he announced the next hitter coming up. That was it, never said where the ball went or anything. It pretty much summed up how I felt as a fan when it happened.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

22. Likes:

Blitz Dorsey (04-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I don't ever remember seeing that was ever proven, only an allegation.
    It was definitely why he was fired, though obviously he disputed that there was sexual harassment.

Reynolds called this incident "a total misunderstanding" and that "I gave a woman a hug and I felt like it was misinterpreted.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Turn Off Ads?