Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Jackson R.I.P.

Re: Michael Jackson R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Will Jackson's legend come close to that of Elvis in the years and decades to come? In the short term, I expect we'll get bombarded with caps, tee shirts, bumper stickers, books, and CD collections.

Anyone remember after Elvis' death, when TV was full of those commercials selling Elvis album sets and tee shirts with his picture on them were everywhere?
    I remember it. I got sucked ito buying a couple of albums from those TV commercials just after his death. I can remember a girl in school who suddenly became a big Elvis fan after his death. For a long time afterward she wore everything Elvis from shirts and tops to ear rings and hats. I'm sure she really got poked fun at quite a bit.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ok, now call me weird but I kinda feel I should apologize for my previous post in this thread (one of those cases where hours later I think "did I actually post that?"). Maybe Geraldo Rivera was in the right in his reporting. But I just had a gut reaction to Geraldo Rivera hinting anything about the death of a celebrity. I mean it's Geraldo Rivera. And Jackson may have been "Wacko Jacko" but he was still a human being that just died and I'm just not looking forward to the sideshow that I know is coming

I wasn't nearly as much of a fan as alot of people (fwiw, I'd actually rather hear his 70's stuff) and I think some of his biggest fans can sound a little corny when I hear them but I think I can relate at least a little bit. I remember when Lennon was shot and when I found out it was like I was hit with a bunch of bricks. Jackson brought alot of joy to ALOT of people (not me personally but anyway..) It's still really sad when this kind of thing happens to someone that isn't that old and is adored by so many.

Sir Charles, I forgot all about the cartoon. I wonder how much that will be viewed on youtube this weekend.

Btw, the top 15 music bestsellers on amazon.com are all Michael Jackson related and there's 4 more in the top 25 (I forgot all about The Wiz).

When Elvis died, someone wrote that it was a "good career move," and so it was. I expect that Jackson's death will certainly boost sales of his music for a time.
    Elvis was somewhat odd and Michael Jackson was downright strange, but they were both hugely talented.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Geez, after Jacko and Farah and then there were reports yesterday that Jeff Goldblum had died I thought we were going to have to start a thread for famous people that didn't die yesterday.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Interesting talking to my 16 yr. old about it. She just knows MJ as a freakazoid to the nth degree. I said, no, he was an enormous talent in his day.

I dug out my MJ albums (yes, I have Michael Jackson albums) and played parts of Thriller. Also dug out some of my really old Jackson 5 45's and played those. She said "he did all that?".
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I was never much of a MJ fan either. The Jackson Five were a little past my time, but as most have said, there was no question it was a talented group and Michael Jackson was the center of the thing. I was surprised last night, when we took a brief break while moving my daughter to her new apartment, to hear that the one album (Thriller?) had seven #1 hits. That is just jaw dropping.

Another commentator mentioned that he completely changed the music video, making them considerable productions. And I was amazed at the dance routines he put together on those and in his stage show.

It's interesting to me that this trio of deaths was a trio of icons in some way. Ed McMahon might be a bit of stretch in that comparison, but perhaps not - Carson wasn't Carson without Ed's intro. And, of course, Fawcett had that iconic poster. And Jackson easily makes that grade, like Elvis, like the Beatles, like Sinatra.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

MTV should run his videos for 24 hours in a tribute. He paved the way for that station's success.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

High five!

This was always one of my favorite J5 tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD2OsUcgb00

And hey, they're actually playing, singing and dancing the tune. Not the greatest mix but a lot of talent.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Great music, weird man.

His legacy will always be a mixed bag of glorious talent and actions so strange that he almost didn't seem human.

I'd say he was one of the best ever at what he did professionally but probably one of the oddest human beings to walk the face of the earth. From putting voodoo curses (we're talking blood rituals) on his enemies to having a painting commissioned of himself with MLK Jr and Jesus Christ, it's tough to think about him as anything resembling normal.

From listening to early opinions on where he stands musically, I heard a few people claim he was the best ever, even naming him above Elvis and the Beatles.

This is probably wrong, but it's not a stretch to place him in the same pantheon as those artists.

To give you an idea just how successful Elvis was consider this: Bilboard magazine ranks artists chart success by a point system based on charted singles.

At one point Elvis was number one, the Beatles were second, and Paul McCartney on his own was number four. Even if you took McCartney's points and added them to his points with the Beatles, it didn't equal Elvis. In other words, the number one person was better than the second and fourth artists of all time combined.

I loved Michael Jackson's music growing up, and while a lot of it hasn't aged well, some of it is even better than I remember. When I heard Human Nature on American Idol, I couldn't believe I had forgotten a great song like that.

His body of work is awesome. The other stuff makes it hard to dote on the man, even in death.

I look on Michael Jackson pretty much the same as I look on O.J. Simpson. Both were big stars when I grew up and both committed heinous acts where neither really were punished for. I can't really say I'm saddened to see him go.

BTW, I still have never seen the video "Thriller" in its entirety.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I look on Michael Jackson pretty much the same as I look on O.J. Simpson. Both were big stars when I grew up and both committed heinous acts where neither really were punished for. I can't really say I'm saddened to see him go.

BTW, I still have never seen the video "Thriller" in its entirety.
    Except the levels of evidence against the two men is quite different.

I for one don't think Michael Jackson is a pedophile. I've seen numerous docs on the man, and considering the way he was raised and treated by his father, I don't see how he couldn't have gotten screwed up. The man literally never grew up and wanted to surround himself with children because that is how he saw himself. I think some very opportunistic people benefited hugely from his weirdness as it pertains to children.

hey Chip.. do you have to close the thread now that you brought up the law?

No more of that!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/print.jsp?ym...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

MLB reacts to Jackson, Fawcett deaths
    King of Pop and Charlie's Angels star had fans around league

By Mark Newman / MLB.com
    The year was 1976.

Farrah Fawcett had the poster that was on walls everywhere.

Michael Jackson was fronting "The Jacksons" -- as the band started off on its own a year after leaving Motown.

Johnny Bench and Cincinnati's Big Red Machine repeated as World Series champs, and this time it wasn't even close -- a powerhouse sweep of the Yankees, following a three-game sweep of the Phillies for the National League pennant.

American icons.

Farrah is gone now. She passed away Thursday from cancer.

Michael is gone now. He passed away at almost the same time due to cardiac arrest.

Sparky Anderson's team was one of the mightiest in Major League Baseball history, arguably in the top five, loaded with legends and a Hall of Fame manager.

She was a symbol of beauty and then courage for so many. He was the King of Pop, fallen from this decade but nonetheless an icon for countless millions who always held hope he would find a graceful comeback, somehow, that would make us watch him again. You remembered or you were looking it up on Thursday, as hearts ached.

Nationals center fielder Willie Harris' heart ached. He was the reason that Michael Jackson's music filled Nationals Park throughout his team's 9-3 victory over Boston Thursday night. It was a somber and sad celebration, just as there will be Michael music during the Dodgers' Friday Night Fireworks event.

"I heard about Michael Jackson when I was in the batting cage before the game," Harris said. "After I heard it, it saddened me. That's why I got in touch with our music lady upstairs. I told her I want Michael Jackson played tonight. I was able to get that song played tonight. It's just to honor a legend. He is a legend, man. It's a part of life, but sometimes,it's a hard pill to swallow. I'm sure the entire world is saddened because of his death. But at the same time, you have to keep moving and pushing forward."

That's what baseball does. Nothing pushes forward like baseball, other than time itself. It was there when Michael came out with "Thriller" and "Bad" and his endless string of hits that helped define not just one generation but two. It was there through his turbulent days in recent years, during his fall from grace. It was there when Farrah drew critical acclaim and an Emmy nomination for her role portraying an abused woman in "The Burning Bed" -- in 1984, the last year the Tigers won it all. Right now they are looking very much like a team that could do it again for the first time since then, and you remember 1984.

In 1984, Michael wore one glove, which is something in common with baseball players. He was at the White House, invited there by President Ronald Reagan. That same year, Michael co-wrote the charity single "We Are The World" with Lionel Ritchie. Indeed, Michael was the world then.

No one was bigger. No one more recognizable globally. He owned it.

"It's a bad day for the music industry, or for anybody," Cody Ross of the Marlins said after his team's game. "It's a sad day. He lived a good life -- he made a lot of money and had some kids. Your heart goes out to his family.

"When I walked in today and saw the news, I was taken aback. He one of the all-time greats -- like the Babe Ruth of music. He's right there with Elvis and all those guys. Anytime something like that happens, it's tough to swallow."

Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton was born in Los Angeles in 1960 and grew up with Michael's music -- and even joined Fawcett on a sitcom set. He said after Atlanta's game that, "you just think people like that are going to be around forever."

"They're the superstars," Pendleton said. "You don't ever think they're going to die. But it's a reminder for all of us that none of us are invincible. Each of us will have a day.

"Growing up, I think all of us that were in that Michael Jackson era in 1971 or '72, when the Jackson 5 burst on the scene, knew that what he brought to the music and entertainment world might be unmatched.

"As for Farrah, I had the pleasure of [appearing in] a few episodes of a sitcom with her in 1990. She was just a great person. I had never been in that sort of environment and she went out of her way to make sure that I felt comfortable. I thought that just so professional. She was a class act."

Braves pitcher Jair Jurrjens, a 23-year-old Curacao native, said, "everybody listens to Michael Jackson growing up. ... It shocked the world. We lost a good entertainer. I hear he was making a comeback too. It stinks. He had some hits. I'm young so I didn't listen to him all that much. The 'Free Willy' song was good."

Rays reliever J.P. Howell was focused on a big World Series rematch against Philadelphia, a game his team won at home, 10-4. But he also was talking about the shock of the day.

"I used to listen to his music so it's kind of weird," he said of Jackson. "My sister was a big fan. He had some trouble, but at the same time he was definitely a national figure.

"I heard when he was rushed to the hospital and you don't think much of it. Then I heard he passed away and it was kind of like, 'Wow.'"

"For me, the Jackson 5 is the part of Michael Jackson's career that I admired most," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. As a young group they were the bomb back then and they were so impressive because of their youth and their talent. It was very unique. And that's how I remember Michael Jackson, personally.

"Farrah Fawcett, we all remember Farrah Fawcett. And it's really a shame that the lady suffered. We all had that poster up on our wall at some point. And God bless her, man, she was a beautiful lady. And it's very difficult to watch her demise that way."

Right now, you might be Googling for Farrah's famous poster and remembering her career as an original on "Charlie's Angels" during a slower time when TV entertainment meant three TV networks. Maybe you are watching her recent documentary, sharing the story with younger people about how, as a cancer patient, she fought for, then surrendered, her treasured privacy to document her struggle with the disease and inspire others.

Right now, you might be searching for every Michael Jackson video you can find on YouTube. You might be crying as you hear the high-pitched voice of a child at the front of The Jackson Five, hearing "ABC" and "I'll Be There" and "Rockin' Robin." Maybe you will realize that Hall of Famer "Rockin'" Robin Yount got his nickname from a show-biz wonder.

Right now, you might be turning to a baseball game to block out the reality of loss. That's what always happens in times of trouble. A lot of us are taking this personally, because for so many it was a real fact of one's own life. When your icons go -- especially when they go one after another just like that, commanding headlines and then Twitter conversation everywhere -- it makes you reach for an escape, something to smile about and lose yourself in.

Ron Washington, the Texas Rangers' manager, was thinking back on wistful memories as people talked about Michael Jackson before that club's game against Arizona.

"He was from my era," Washington said. "He put out some outstanding music and some awesome dance steps. It was quite exciting. I don't know what to say except I'm going to miss Michael Jackson."

"I was sad," Florida's Dan Uggla said, and that pretty much summed up what Thursday was like for a lot of people.

They played Michael's music during batting practice before Saturday night's Civil Rights Game in Cincinnati, home of that old Big Red Machine. It was for a completely different reason, though. It was to celebrate the soulful sounds of the Civil Rights movement at its height. Now they play it around the Majors, on radio stations everywhere, because there is no more Michael Jackson, and there is no more Farrah Fawcett.

They are only memories now, just as the Big Red Machine's dominating 1976 sweep is just a memory, a blur in four games with Bench winning MVP.

"It's a shame when anybody passes away," Nationals reliever Ron Villone said. It's what people were talking about around baseball, besides baseball.

"They were two icons in our society in music and the acting industry. Condolences to their families. I hope everybody can mourn and get over things. It's a shame that they had to pass away. Farrah Fawcett doesn't have to suffer anymore and [Michael Jackson's death] was an unfortunate incident."

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Except the levels of evidence against the two men is quite different.

I for one don't think Michael Jackson is a pedophile. I've seen numerous docs on the man, and considering the way he was raised and treated by his father, I don't see how he couldn't have gotten screwed up. The man literally never grew up and wanted to surround himself with children because that is how he saw himself. I think some very opportunistic people benefited hugely from his weirdness as it pertains to children.
    I completely agree. He was probably the most vulnerable and gullible celebrity who ever lived, and that's saying something.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I completely agree. He was probably the most vulnerable and gullible celebrity who ever lived, and that's saying something.
    Yep. Deep field there.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/27/wo...er=rss&emc=rss

Fans lighted candles at a spontaneous gathering in Hong Kong, while in the Philippines, a dance tribute was planned for a prison in Cebu, where Byron Garcia, a security consultant, had 1,500 inmates join in a synchronized dance to the “Thriller” video.

Turn Off Ads?