Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

Re: Vernon Wells Traded to Angels for Mike Napoli

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Did the guy not hit 30 plus homers last year? Yes, he's overpaid, but he's still a pretty good player.
    Agreed. It surely makes the Angels more expensive, but they dealt away two guys that they really weren't wanting to play anyway and got a 30 HR bat for the middle of the order and improved the defense in one of the OF corners. Wells is not a plus defender in CF anymore, but he's a far better defensive choice as a corner OF than Juan Rivera or Bobby Abreu. The Angels had the money burning a hole in their pocket after not being able to sign anybody this off-season, so at least for 2011, this deal works for them (and added about $11 Million to the payroll which is probably less than if they had made a big signing). This deal may look awful in 2013 or so, but some of the things I've read about it killing their chances immediately just aren't true. As a matter of fact, I'd say they should be the favorite in the AL West in 2011 at this point unless Texas can add a TOR starter.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    The next time someone says, "we should trade X," and someone else says, "we can't trade X, nobody would want X," the first person just has to say, "Vernon Wells". Millions of message board arguments ended just like that.
    Do you think the Angels would have any interest in Cordero?

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Agreed. It surely makes the Angels more expensive, but they dealt away two guys that they really weren't wanting to play anyway and got a 30 HR bat for the middle of the order and improved the defense in one of the OF corners. Wells is not a plus defender in CF anymore, but he's a far better defensive choice as a corner OF than Juan Rivera or Bobby Abreu. The Angels had the money burning a hole in their pocket after not being able to sign anybody this off-season, so at least for 2011, this deal works for them (and added about $11 Million to the payroll which is probably less than if they had made a big signing). This deal may look awful in 2013 or so, but some of the things I've read about it killing their chances immediately just aren't true. As a matter of fact, I'd say they should be the favorite in the AL West in 2011 at this point unless Texas can add a TOR starter.
    excellent point.

While contracts and payroll are important, they only really matter if they affect your ability to acquire players you need. Considering that that Angels were not been to acquire what they need up to this point, I don't see how acquiring Wells and his contract hurts them this season. I don't know what their obligations are in 2014, but they have time and a big enough payroll to work things out.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Did the guy not hit 30 plus homers last year? Yes, he's overpaid, but he's still a pretty good player.
    Over the last 4 years his OPS is 776, with an OPS+ of 105.

With an average WAR of 1.9.

He just had his best season in his last 4, his 3rd best ever, and at the age of 32 it may well be all downhill from here.

His most similiar comparison player is Aubrey Huff.

That's a lot for $85M for the next 4 years.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 01-23-2011 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Simple point is...it just became a heck of a lot feasable for the Jays to make a run at Votto should they choose.
    Maybe it's bad news for Cincy but wouldn't this make cards fans even more nervous?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm not sure if it means anything or not but Votto lives in Florida now doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Over the last 4 years his OPS is 776, with an OPS+ of 105.

With an average WAR of 1.9.

He just had his best season in his last 4, his 3rd best ever, and at the age of 32 it may well be all downhill from here.

His most similiar comparison player is Aubrey Huff.

That's a lot for $85M for the next 4 years.
    He suffered a wrist and then a hamstring injury in 08 and 09. When he's healthy, he's around a .850 OPS, 4 win player. Age is a factor, as is injury risk, but using his last three years as his baseline underestimates his talent
    level.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    He suffered a wrist and then a hamstring injury in 08 and 09. When he's healthy, he's around a .850 OPS, 4 win player. Age is a factor, as is injury risk, but using his last three years as his baseline underestimates his talent
    level.
    He's unlikely to even be worth his contract in year one of Anaheim's control and it's very possible Napoli out produces Wells.

Very bad trade for the Angels. Great trade for their AL west rivals.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's unlikely to even be worth his contract in year one of Anaheim's control and it's very possible Napoli out produces Wells.

Very bad trade for the Angels. Great trade for their AL west rivals.
    Napoli is a part time player with little defensive value. He's a nice platoon partner against lefites either at 1B or DH, and if in that role, he might be able to put up a similar OPS as Wells does playing above average LF everyday for the Angels. But I can't see a situation where Napoli proves more production for the Jays than Wells does for the Angels.

Most importantly, Napoli wasn't wanted in LA, and wasn't going to be used. Wells, on the other hand, fills a big need for the Angels.

I don't see it as a great trade, but I definitely don't see it as a very bad trade.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

level.
    I used his last 4 years.

He's been a 4 WAR twice in his career (3.4 next highest), has been at 2.5 or above three times in his 9 year career, so using that as a baseline is just plain inaccurate.
    Last edited by PuffyPig; 01-23-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Napoli is a part time player with little defensive value. He's a nice platoon partner against lefites either at 1B or DH, and if in that role, he might be able to put up a similar OPS as Wells does playing above average LF everyday for the Angels. But I can't see a situation where Napoli proves more production for the Jays than Wells does for the Angels.

Most importantly, Napoli wasn't wanted in LA, and wasn't going to be used. Wells, on the other hand, fills a big need for the Angels.

I don't see it as a great trade, but I definitely don't see it as a very bad trade.
    Mike Scioscia, is that really you?

Wells might receive a prety substantial LF bump, due to being so much better than other LF defensively. (I'm assuming he can play LF like he plays CF and that Hunter will shade to RF.)

IF he does that, he might get more than 4.0 WAR this season.

But I doubt he gets more than that. And he'll need to average that to make sense of the trade

Ick.

And the Jays trade Napoli to the Rangers for Frank Francisco and cash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ory?id=6058127
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    And the Jays trade Napoli to the Rangers for Frank Francisco and cash.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb...ory?id=6058127
    That seems like a good deal for both teams. The Jays had a glut at 1B/DH with Napoli, EdE and Adam Lind and really didn't need to pay Napoli $6 Million or so. The Rangers can probably use him as a 1B/DH. FRank Francisco is an arb case that Texas didn't really want back and now the Jays have him and can probably use him as a decent middle innings guy.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Neftali Feliz can get comfortable closing. Fransisco is a nice add for the Jays. Their bullpen is going to be real solid.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?