Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Dexter Fowler

Re: Dexter Fowler

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm not "anti-Dexter Fowler." He would be somewhat of an upgrade over Drew Stubbs. My problem is trading someone like Homer Bailey for Fowler, when I know the Reds are going to push Hamilton for the PR it will bring.

But, as you said, this team won 97 games with Stubbs in CF. I do not feel as strong about replacing Stubbs as many folks do. I was around when they called for Caesar Geronimo's head as the "weakest link" back in the 70's. Stubbs isn't the main problem as long as they bat him down in the order. I certainly am satisfied to let him man CF until Billy Hamilton takes the job from him.
    So who hits at the top of the order then?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I'm not "anti-Dexter Fowler." He would be somewhat of an upgrade over Drew Stubbs.
    That 1.6 WAR is a pretty big deal. Too, Fowler gets a bad rap defensively due to the Coors Field dimensions, so he'd probably see a large upgrade there. If Stubbs reverts to his average season, there's little reason to make the deal. However, his trajectory is dead wrong for that to happen.

(I agree, fwiw, that Bailey is too much to ask. Leake is a far more likely target, IMO, along with a Corcino, Redmond, Lotzkar, or Cingrani, depending on how highly the Rocks value the former Arizona State star.)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

MLBTR

The Rockies and Reds have engaged in preliminary trade talks about Dexter Fowler, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reports. Cincinnati could trade players from its MLB roster, but right-hander Homer Bailey will likely remain with the Reds, according to Rosenthal.
    Color me as slightly in favor of this deal. I'm with Mike, that Stubbs batting down in the order isn't a bad thing for this team. But Fowler would be a slight upgrade and we're essentially trading spare parts. I'd like perhaps a solid AA prospect or even a lottery ticket coming back to the Reds, though.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    MLBTR

Color me as slightly in favor of this deal. I'm with Mike, that Stubbs batting down in the order isn't a bad thing for this team. But Fowler would be a slight upgrade and we're essentially trading spare parts. I'd like perhaps a solid AA prospect or even a lottery ticket coming back to the Reds, though.
    Leake, Stubbs and LaMarre for Fowler? Yes please.

Unfortunately I'm sure the Rox will ask for Cingrani or Corcino instead of LaMarre.

I would love to get Pomeranz coming back as well, although I'm sure that's unlikely.
    Go BLUE!!!

Any thoughts on C-level prospects the Reds have that might interest the Rox? Lotzkar springs to mind.

And what's the statute of limitations on a PTBNL? I ask because I wonder if Travieso might get Dan O'Dowd's juices flowing.
    Last edited by M2; 12-07-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I don't see the Rockies doing that without Corcino or Cingranni included in the deal. Leake / Stubbs isn't enough for a starting CF in this market.

Leake, Stubbs and another prospect for Fowler. Count me in.

Would rather trade Corcino rather than Cingrini simply because I think Cingrini can be dominant bullpen guy now and in future.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I'd do Leake, Stubbs, and Cingrani, and I like Cingrani.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    I don't see the Rockies doing that without Corcino or Cingranni included in the deal. Leake / Stubbs isn't enough for a starting CF in this market.
    While I'm sure the Rox would want more than Leake and Stubbs, I'm not sure it necessarily has to rise to the Cingrani/Corcino level. If you look at what the Twins got for Span and Revere - and that pretty much defines the current CF trade market - Leake and Stubbs is a pretty decent haul.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Any thoughts on C-level prospects the Reds might have that would interest the Rox? Lotzkar springs to mind.

And what's the statute of limitations on a PTBNL? I ask because I wonder if Travieso might get Dan O'Dowd's juices flowing.
    C level guys that might interest O'Dowd:
    Kyle Lotzkar-- Big arm. He's going to be a major leaguer at some point, likey as a reliever, but stranger things have happened. Needs to refine command.

Chad "Shark Bite" Rogers-- Solid stuff, great production. BOR guy right now, with a chance at more as he matures. Could be a solid middle reliever.

Tim Crabbe-- Big arm, success since being moved to 'pen. Could be a fast mover.

Redmond-- AAAA starter. May be enough of a starter to FIP 4.75 in his peak years. That may be enough for Colorado's fifth starter.

Donald Lutz-- Lots of power, decent wheels, lots of Ks. He's a gamble, but a good one as a third piece.

Netali Soto-- Young, powerful, and the Rocks need a 1B in a couple years.

Ryan Wright-- Should probably be playing 3B, but may stick as a utlility guy. Like the power. Gamer.

Tucker Barnhart-- Barring injury, will play in the majors, as his glove is too good. The question is his bat. Really solid third prospect in a deal, as he'll have value.

Josh Ravin-- Big-time arm, horrid results. Big gamble, but could become a dominant closer.

Were I the Rockies' GM, I'd target an upside guy like Yorman Rodriguez and hope for the switch to turn on. Leake, Stubbs, and Rodriguez isn't a bad haul for Colorado. (Of course, I'd probably demand Corcino instead of Stubbs-- or at least in additino-- as well, which would totally screw up the deal, so there's that.)

Colorado has a very large outfield. Is Eric Young the presumed heir to the CF job if they trade Fowler?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Young and/or Tyler Colvin.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    While I'm sure the Rox would want more than Leake and Stubbs, I'm not sure it necessarily has to rise to the Cingrani/Corcino level. If you look at what the Twins got for Span and Revere - and that pretty much defines the current CF trade market - Leake and Stubbs is a pretty decent haul.
    +1

adding one of the teams top prospects seems too much. Leake is underrated by some. If you look at stats like xFIP he rates as an average/above average pitcher.

Is Fowler good enough of a CF defensively? I ask because I honestly don't know, I watch very little Rockies baseball. How is his range, speed, and arm? His metrics don't jump off the page at you, and he has committed 14 errors in the last 2 seasons, Drew Stubbs has 8 for comparison.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Haven't focused much on Rockies. Is De La Rosa healthy and a possible fit? I'm not sure of finances either. If Cingriani goes with Leake the Reds would be in crisis mode with starting pitching depth.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?