Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Randy Wolf??

Randy Wolf??

So most likely the phils are not going to resign wolf and he will be a free agent. Hes coming off an injury but has pretty good stuff. He would be a risk but its not likely that any big name starters like zito or schmidt are going to come to cincinnati. So to have a chance at getting someone good we may have to take a risk. The problem is it may require a multi year contract. So what are you willing to offer wolf - 3 years/12-15 mill? I say two years at 8 million would be a decent signing, but with the need for pitching he could get a much better deal.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Randy Wolf??

I'd pick up Wolf and Edmonds if the Cards don't pick up his option.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yes to Wolf.

No way to Edmonds!

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    Yes to Wolf.

No way to Edmonds!
    Yeah, I'd hate to have a very good centerfielder with an .850 OPS. That would chap my arse.

He'd really suck in a lefty-favoring ballpark like GABP.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Edmonds and Griffey on the same team? Yikes. 'Splosion!
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Yeah, I thought of that. Shaming never killed anyone.

BTW: I didn't mean to derail the thread; I think Wolf would be an excellent target--this team needs a good lefty, and realistically, it's probably going to need several "project" pitchers to fill out the rotation.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 10-24-2006 at 12:02 PM.

Edmonds in Cincy?George Grande would fall out of his booth every time he made a routine catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Yeah, I'd hate to have a very good centerfielder with an .850 OPS. That would chap my arse.

He'd really suck in a lefty-favoring ballpark like GABP.
    You mean an aging 36-year-old CF. One who played in 1 game more than Griffey and hit fewer HRs (19 vs. 27) and had fewer RBIs (70 vs. 72). One who even if he takes a pay cut will make $8-11m/year. And who the Reds would likely have to sign to a 2-3 yr contract. That means he is a 39-year-old CF making ~$10m in 2009. No thanks. The Reds need to rebuild, not sign guys like Edmonds, even if he doesn't fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Actually, I'd be more concerned about the collision that could occur on a ball hit in the gap between Edmonds and Freel.

I like Wolf and would enjoy watching him, but I'd pass on him for $4-$5MM per year. His last three seasons have been 136, 80 and 56 innings. His ERA has been 4.28, 4.39 and 5.56. Maybe he'll regain his old form, but for now it looks like he's past his glory days. We shouldn't spend $8MM to $15MM on Wolf. Even if he gets healthy and pitched 'okay' I wouldn't want to spend that kind of money on a guy who would only marginally improve our 4.50 ERA in 2006. He's way too risky and expensive for the Reds.

I would love to have Edmonds on this team. He's getting old and breakable, but if they can pick him up for a short contract, fine by me.

I haven't been keeping up -- what's the general feeling on what the Cards will decide to do? Does anyone think it will be influenced by his performance this Series?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I would love to have Edmonds on this team. He's getting old and breakable, but if they can pick him up for a short contract, fine by me.

I haven't been keeping up -- what's the general feeling on what the Cards will decide to do? Does anyone think it will be influenced by his performance this Series?
    I think it is a moot point--as the Cardinals likely will pick up his option. From what I hear from Cards fans, they don't want him, but a replacement would cost just as much if not more.

I don't get the Edmonds love. He is only 6+ months younger than Griffey and has been offensively outperformed by Griffey the last two years. I'm not as high on his defense as some are, I'll admit. Yet, even his supporters must concede he has lost a little bit out there, especially considering his increasing fragility.
    Last edited by SultanOfSwing; 10-25-2006 at 11:02 AM.

I think it is a mute point--as the Cardinals likely will pick up his option. From what I hear from Cards fans, they don't want him, but a replacement would cost just as much if not more.
    I would have to agree with this. Who would the Cards get to replace him? Preston Wilson? Yikes, i would much rather go with an injured and older version of Edmonds than Wilson. Do they have anyone in the farm that could step in? If so, I haven't heard of anyone, as i've heard their farm system is just about as dry as ours...

Quote Originally Posted by isaiahbarney View Post
    I think it is a mute point--as the Cardinals likely will pick up his option. From what I hear from Cards fans, they don't want him, but a replacement would cost just as much if not more.
    I've been hearing the opposite for the last few months. It's a $10 million option I believe, and that's an awful lot of money to throw at Edmonds for one more year.

To get back to Randy Wolf...I don't know if I would sign him to what you said (3 years/12-15 mil)....but I wouldn't mind having him on the staff, maybe see if he would accept a two year deal but throw no more than 2, 3 mil/year at the very most after much negotiating....but that's just me.

Turn Off Ads?