Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can Chris Dickerson make the Reds?

Can Chris Dickerson make the Reds?

He's having a big day today against the Chinese team in AFL play. Two homers, four hits.

I see him as a fifth outfielder on the Reds. Right now the team has no true centerfielder. Dickerson in the late innings could be a huge defensive plus. If he hits a little, who knows?

Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey, Hopper, Dickerson.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can Chris Dickerson make the Reds?

If he can cut down on the strikeouts, hit a little more, and have a good spring training, he could be a good fourth outfielder over Norris Hopper. All of this is dependent on him doing very well in spring training.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yes, he can. I am with both of you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    If he can cut down on the strikeouts, hit a little more, and have a good spring training, he could be a good fourth outfielder over Norris Hopper. All of this is dependent on him doing very well in spring training.
    I don't know if he would be ahead of Hopper, but he defenitly diserves a shot. He is terrific defensivly, and he has pretty good power. I would like to see what he could do at GABP.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Not if Freel, Hopper, and Hamilton are all the roster. Talent wise, I see no reason why he can't be a 5th OF talent wise purely for his defense. Never gonna be a starter when he strikes out once every three at bats in AAA though.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

yes.

for 2008 I would like to see Dunn - Bruce - Hamilton as the starting outfield with Hopper and Dickerson off the bench.

Griffey needs to go in the offseason.
    Freel goes in a spring training trade if he looks healthy.

His approach is terrible. I'm not sure he has an idea of what he wants to do. There are times when he looks like a pitcher hitting. Maybe it doesn't matter how it looks when a player is fooled. Missing by a foot and a half has the same results as missing by a quarter inch. When he's fooled --it's bad.

I doubt it, Krivsky seems to prefer bench guys who have mileage on them
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I doubt it, Krivsky seems to prefer bench guys who have mileage on them

I can't say I agree with that statement. I personally feel Dusty's going to have the say on who is on his bench. I also feel has a definite chance in Majors just not on the Reds and he needs a change of scenery in a deal that works to fill needs for Reds and the other team involved.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    He's having a big day today against the Chinese team in AFL play. Two homers, four hits.

I see him as a fifth outfielder on the Reds. Right now the team has no true centerfielder. Dickerson in the late innings could be a huge defensive plus. If he hits a little, who knows?

Dunn, Hamilton, Griffey, Hopper, Dickerson.
    Chris Denorfia was way better than Chris Dickerson ever can hope to be, and they sent Denorfia packing to the A's. That being said, the Reds lack a True CF. I just don't see Dickerson being the Reds' True CF.

I still prefer Dickerson over Hopper, only b/c Dickerson plays a true position, whereas Hopper really has no position. I know OF is a position, but he doesn't play any of them well.

Call Dickerson the 4a OF of the Reds.

Dickerson is a guy like... Gary Matthews Jr. probably who is viewed as an above avg CF.
    They both have the ability to take some BB, have a little power, and have an OPS in the .760 range.
    Dickerson does SO a lot, but so does Brandon Inge who has been able to make a career being an above avg fielder with a career OPS below .700

While I don't think Dickersons defense would offset his offense to replace a Josh Hamilton in CF as a starter, or even a Jay Bruce, I think in the right situation he could honestly start for some teams in CF who put a premium on defense and not so much on the offensive side of things. Lets not forget the league average CF puts up an OPS of about .750....

He put up an 800 obs as a 25 year old in AAA. Dickerson doesn't obviously project to be a major league starter.

The major league manager of the franchise is known for his impatience with young players.
    When Bruce was in Louisville he was in center as often as Dickerson was.
    He's a lefty hitter in an organization filled with left handed talent.
    He's too far down the depth chart to get a real shot at playing time.
    He has the type of skills you can find by plying 6 year minor league free agent list.

The front office thought so much of Dickerson's skills that when Hamilton and Freel and Hopper and Wise were all down they traded for Jason Ellison instead of letting Dickerson play 10 games in the majors.

At this point, he's organizational filler. The best thing that could happen to him would be to be included as a throw in on a deal. He needs an organization that wants him, because the reds sure don't give signs of that.
    Last edited by dfs; 10-29-2007 at 08:30 AM.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    He put up an 800 obs as a 25 year old in AAA. Dickerson doesn't obviously project to be a major league starter.

The major league manager of the franchise is known for his impatience with young players.
    When Bruce was in Louisville he was in center as often as Dickerson was.
    He's a lefty hitter in an organization filled with left handed talent.
    He's too far down the depth chart to get a real shot at playing time.
    He has the type of skills you can find by plying 6 year minor league free agent list.

The front office thought so much of Dickerson's skills that when Hamilton and Freel and Hopper and Wise were all down they traded for Jason Ellison instead of letting Dickerson play 10 games in the majors.

At this point, he's organizational filler. The best thing that could happen to him would be to be included as a throw in on a deal. He needs an organization that wants him, because the reds sure don't give signs of that.
    Above average defensive centerfielders who OPS .800 in AAA aren't exactly organizational filler IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Above average defensive centerfielders who OPS .800 in AAA aren't exactly organizational filler IMO.
    ...and 25 year olds who have not seen a single major league plate appearance don't become regulars.

I think we agree that he probably has the talent and the skill to be a useful part of a major league team.

If he could find a manager and an organization who wanted him to sit at the edge of the bench and be a defensive caddy who could run, bunt and pinch hit now and then...well, more power to him.

I see no evidence that this manager and this organization are willing to put him in that role.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Turn Off Ads?