Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

Re: Selig mulling pardon for Rose

I think he'd be an outstanding hitting coach. But I don't know if I'd trust him. It's really as simple as that.

I do think he'd be a really good minor league and Spring Training guy. Perhaps a per diem that keeps him around the team but not an official coach? Kind of a Mario Soto for struggling hitters?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I think he'd be an outstanding hitting coach. But I don't know if I'd trust him. It's really as simple as that.

I do think he'd be a really good minor league and Spring Training guy. Perhaps a per diem that keeps him around the team but not an official coach? Kind of a Mario Soto for struggling hitters?
    That could be a full-time job with the Reds!

Yep, and he'd be good at it. If he doesn't let his ego get in the way. An ego that size is a great thing to have as an athlete. Lousy thing to have outside of sports.

If they let Pete in the hall of fame then Im OK with letting all the Junkies in McGwire, Clemons, ARod, Bonds, let all the junkies in.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    If they let Pete in the hall of fame then Im OK with letting all the Junkies in McGwire, Clemons, ARod, Bonds, let all the junkies in.
    And that is EXACTLY why Selig is mulling Pete's reinstatement.

He wants to lower the HOF's moral bar for everyone, including himself.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Ball Rolling Towards Rose Eligibility
    And the clues continue to mount.

The teary-eyed communion between Sparky Anderson and Pete Rose at a baseball memorabilia shop here in Cooperstown on Saturday wasn't the only hint over induction weekend that the ice may be breaking around Rose's 20 years in suspended animation - and eligibility for, if not necessarily election to, the Hall, might be in the offing.

The impeccable Bill Madden reports in today's New York Daily News that Hank Aaron held a "seemingly impromptu" gaggle with a handful of reporters on Saturday during which he not only endorsed an asterisk for steroid users who reach Cooperstown, but brought Rose up himself and said "I would like to see Pete in. He belongs there."

On Saturday night I reported that Rose's old Cincinnati manager stunned onlookers in the card shop in which Rose spends most of induction weekend, by bounding through its doors to have a brief conversation with him. Saying he had been convinced of the rightness of the timing by his wife, Anderson told Rose: "You made some mistakes 20 years ago, Pete, but that shouldn't detract from your contributions to the game."

I had the briefest of conversations with Rose yesterday. He confirmed the Anderson visit, said it had been "a long time" since they had last talked (although he wasn't certain it was the full two decades). Pete Rose is never tight-lipped about his prospects for reinstatement, but he was clearly being circumspect. "Sparky was here. Morgan was here. Perez was here. Schmidt was here." He smiled, then answered my question about the ultimate outcome of his saga. "I think it'll be all right."

With the advent of increased Hall of Famer influence on the Hall of Fame itself, Joe Morgan in particular has grown powerful within the Cooperstown infrastructure. A Morgan greeting to Rose wouldn't mean much. A Morgan word to Bud Selig about 'time served' might be - and Madden reports at least one other Hall of Famer is arguing such a line.

I was a steadfast opponent of Rose's reinstatement for all of his first fifteen years of banishment. My belief was, even if he bet only on the Reds to win, this constituted a kind of passive/aggressive form of game-fixing: his use of players, especially his best relief pitchers, might be much more aggressive in games on which he had a wager, than those he did not. But the light bulb has slowly flickered on above Pete's head, he has lowered the volume on his woe-is-me-ism, and most importantly, his crimes have been contextualized by the PED-era. There is no form of game-fixing more subtle nor more insidious than juicing. Not even gambling.

The 20th Anniversary of his banishment is a month away: August 24th. It has served its purpose. Rose will never get a significant job in the game; if necessary he can be statutorily prevented from getting one. Who knows? A reinstated Rose might even be a terrific in-person warning to minor league players and young big leaguers he might serve as a hitting coach, about the consequences of breaking the key rules - the ones about gambling, and the ones about performance-enhancers.

It's time.

http://keitholbermann.mlblogs.com/ar...rose_elig.html

Trying to decipher the mind of Bud Selig here (always a risky proposition), but perhaps Rose's chances of reinstatement improve the longer the Reds stay in the hole. That's based on the theory that Bud figures he might need to throw Cincinnati fans a bone.

Mind you, many don't want or particularly care about that bone and those that do probably won't be any more interested in the current product, but I could see Bud thinking along those lines.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Trying to decipher the mind of Bud Selig here (always a risky proposition), but perhaps Rose's chances of reinstatement improve the longer the Reds stay in the hole. That's based on the theory that Bud figures he might need to throw Cincinnati fans a bone.

Mind you, many don't want or particularly care about that bone and those that do probably won't be any more interested in the current product, but I could see Bud thinking along those lines.
    I would guess that Bob has his ear as well.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Who would you rather see manage the Reds???? A Dusty Baker playing guys most of the time that cant find 1st and guys that only hustle part of the time?? or a Rose that would demand hustle and accountability? AND would get the front office to get players like a LaRussa can in St. Louis?

hmmmm im sick of losing anything would be a plus wouldnt it now?

Anything that doesn't embarrass the game or the Reds. Anything within the rules.

And I can't trust Rose to do those things.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Who would you rather see manage the Reds???? A Dusty Baker playing guys most of the time that cant find 1st and guys that only hustle part of the time?? or a Rose that would demand hustle and accountability? AND would get the front office to get players like a LaRussa can in St. Louis?

I could care less who manages the Reds if they get good players that win.

I could care less about bad players who hustle and lose over good players who win.

Hustle, in a vacuum is nothing. A manager, without talent to win, makes no difference.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Anything that doesn't embarrass the game or the Reds. Anything within the rules.

And I can't trust Rose to do those things.
    A good point.

It's a shame because Pete does know baseball. He just doesn't have any sense.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post

I'd rather have The Dusty than Pete Rose managing.

I've been very hard on Pete and have gone on record as saying he's been lying since I saw him at that 8-24-89 press conference but it's been 20 yrs and I think it's time to move on. I'd reinstate him with certain anti gambling restrictions on and a no tolerance attitude if he screws up. I'd like to see him on the writers ballot for a few years and then go to the vets committee. I'm not sure that he'd get 75% from the writers. I think that could be a struggle.

I am ready to move on

Yes to the Hall of Fame. No to a job with Baseball.

Is the job in baseball thing even an issue anymore? Even if somebody would hire him (which I doubt), Pete's pushing 70 and it would be time for him to retire. I don't think a job in baseball in anythng other than a ceremonial type of position is realistic at this point.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?