Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Re: Breaking Bad Season 4 Premiere Sun 10pm AMC (Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm sure he has been busy. Bryan Cranston is the hardest working man in show business. But if these guys - and guys like Gandolfini (RIP) Olyphant, Lewis and Hamm are so awesome on TV, shouldn't they be deluged with roles that guys like Damon, Pitt, Affleck, Cooper, Clooney, Downey, Foxx, Tatum, Smith, Cruise and Willis get? Same thing for the women. Why isn't Edie Falco a huge movie star?
    Why aren't Tony award winners movie stars?

Big difference between TV acting, Movie acting, and Theater acting.

Movies stars are just that, stars. They are all personality and looks. The TV stars you mentioned get plenty of work in movies, as character actors. They aren't leading men/women. They are more talent and less Q factor. Being a movies star is all about Q factor. Just look at Channing Tatum and Megan Fox.

(Hamm is the exception, and that's because he's not that good of a dramatic actor. He'll even admit that. He's great at Don Draper, because it's such a well written role, and he's a natural for it.)
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?

Foxx, Clooney, Smith all started in TV so the jump can happen.

I think all these people will have all the work they can handle, it just might not be the $20 million a film blockbuster type of work. There's really not too much of that to go around though.

I agree it's odd though, many of these TV shows are showcasing much better acting than anything you see in the movies.

Another name: Michael B. Jordan from The Wire (and Friday Night Lights) is going to be a mega star I think, in time.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Not keep this thread sidetracked, but I do have a bit of inside knowledge of the entertainment industry, as I have been out in LA working as a screenwriter for the past 15 years. (Shameless plug, my latest movie, "The Secret Lives of Dorks" is out in theaters Sept 27th. It's a crappy teen movie full of fart jokes, so I don't recommend it to anyone on this site, but maybe their teenage kids.)

Concerning the difference between Movies and TV:

The biggest difference is that movies are run by the director, and TV is run by the writer.

Some directors are strong creative forces, like Hitchcock, Scorcese, Kubrik, Soderbergh, etc. However, most are technicians from film school who mostly know how to make things look cool. This has been the way it's been in Hollywood for decades.

TV, since it was on a small screen and was produced weekly, had to focus on story and characters, not look. Movies on a big screen and with months to make, could focus on looks and wow factor. This resulted in directors in charge of movies, and writers in charge of TV shows. A perfect example is my last movie. I was responsible for writing about 40% of the final version that hits theaters. The rest was re-written by the director. (One reason why I'm not recommending it) If it was a TV show, the director would have no creative say, and just be in charge of cameras and telling the actors where to stand.

While that has stayed the same, technology has moved TV closer to movies. Just a decade ago, when almost everything was shot on film, it took days just to transfer and develop the film, so on a weekly show. you only had 2-3 days to shoot everything. Also, you didn't have time to set up complicated shots, since that required, cranes dolly's, tracks, crazy lighting set ups, etc. Now with HD and steadycams, you can shoot whatever you want on the spot, and it's ready for the editor minutes after you're done shooting. This has allowed TV shows to do more "movie" shots and more action.

But the biggest effect technology has had on the entertainment industry are the TV's themselves. People now have 40-60 inch screens in 1080 HD with surround sound in their living room, so it's basically just like being in a movie theater. So TV has to adapt, and it has.

5. Likes:

Roy Tucker (09-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Why aren't Tony award winners movie stars?

Big difference between TV acting, Movie acting, and Theater acting.

Movies stars are just that, stars. They are all personality and looks. The TV stars you mentioned get plenty of work in movies, as character actors. They aren't leading men/women. They are more talent and less Q factor. Being a movies star is all about Q factor. Just look at Channing Tatum and Megan Fox.

(Hamm is the exception, and that's because he's not that good of a dramatic actor. He'll even admit that. He's great at Don Draper, because it's such a well written role, and he's a natural for it.)
    Yep.

757690 makes some good points, but really it's all about the money. Cranston is a TV star (and I do believe his clout will follow him out of the show), but most blockbusters will not take a risk on him, and certainly not pre-BB. Conversely, most movie stars aren't used to signing on for a years-long gig that is much lower paid than what they're used to. TV is a huge grind. Movies take over your life completely for a month or two twice, during filming and promotion. TV takes over your life a little less completely, but for years.

Hollywood also tends to pigeonhole actors into "TV" or "movie" actors, though that's changing with the shift to quality television. There are talented movie stars who are starting to shift to TV...Laura Linney, William H Macy, etc. Those two examples that come to me right away are, not coincidentally, theater actors as well, which means they are used to working long stretches for less money. Who else, Anna Paquin? Zooey Deschanel.

There's not really a huge difference between movie and TV acting at this point but there is between those two and theater. Theater is hands-down the most actor-driven of all of them, obviously; every night is fresh and in the actors' hands. Thus arguably the most difficult as well. Theater actors make no money though. You can get more money on a couple of days on set, for a couple of lines, than an entire run of any play except the very top small-cast Broadway shows (and even those don't pay much).
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

7. Likes:

757690 (09-12-2013)

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

The "Better Call Saul" prequel spinoff series has been officially greenlit by AMC.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

9. Likes:

Brutus (09-11-2013),Chip R (09-11-2013)

Not keep this thread sidetracked, but I do have a bit of inside knowledge of the entertainment industry, as I have been out in LA working as a screenwriter for the past 15 years. (Shameless plug, my latest movie, "The Secret Lives of Dorks" is out in theaters Sept 27th. It's a crappy teen movie full of fart jokes, so I don't recommend it to anyone on this site, but maybe their teenage kids.)

Concerning the difference between Movies and TV:

The biggest difference is that movies are run by the director, and TV is run by the writer.

Some directors are strong creative forces, like Hitchcock, Scorcese, Kubrik, Soderbergh, etc. However, most are technicians from film school who mostly know how to make things look cool. This has been the way it's been in Hollywood for decades.

TV, since it was on a small screen and was produced weekly, had to focus on story and characters, not look. Movies on a big screen and with months to make, could focus on looks and wow factor. This resulted in directors in charge of movies, and writers in charge of TV shows. A perfect example is my last movie. I was responsible for writing about 40% of the final version that hits theaters. The rest was re-written by the director. (One reason why I'm not recommending it) If it was a TV show, the director would have no creative say, and just be in charge of cameras and telling the actors where to stand.

While that has stayed the same, technology has moved TV closer to movies. Just a decade ago, when almost everything was shot on film, it took days just to transfer and develop the film, so on a weekly show. you only had 2-3 days to shoot everything. Also, you didn't have time to set up complicated shots, since that required, cranes dolly's, tracks, crazy lighting set ups, etc. Now with HD and steadycams, you can shoot whatever you want on the spot, and it's ready for the editor minutes after you're done shooting. This has allowed TV shows to do more "movie" shots and more action.

But the biggest effect technology has had on the entertainment industry are the TV's themselves. People now have 40-60 inch screens in 1080 HD with surround sound in their living room, so it's basically just like being in a movie theater. So TV has to adapt, and it has.
    I would also add that a big reason for the surge is that there is a lot more money to spend on production these days. It started with HBO and Showtime, who had money to burn on original programming and were able to do things that OTA networks couldn't or wouldn't do. But since then, even cable networks such as USA, TBS, AMC, etc. now have the money to take risks on bigger-budget dramas.

Funny thing is, even today, with plenty of money and the knowledge that it can work, the broadcast networks typically stay in their cozy box with regard to which programming they pick up. If it's not a three-camera comedy, a dramedy or a procedural drama, they typically aren't interested. ABC gambled on LOST and won big, but after FlashForward and The Event both failed, I get the sense the networks will quickly go back into their shell for a while.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

757690 (09-12-2013)

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    The "Better Call Saul" prequel spinoff series has been officially greenlit by AMC.
    I love the character of Saul and I think it could be pretty decent. I will watch.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I love the character of Saul and I think it could be pretty decent. I will watch.
    From what I've read it's going to take place before Saul meets Walt, and the show will be more comedic. I'll definitely watch.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    From what I've read it's going to take place before Saul meets Walt, and the show will be more comedic. I'll definitely watch.
    Aaron Paul has mentioned a couple times that he hopes to get a few appearances if the show actually happens.

I would think that Mike will be a somewhat recurring character cause Saul definitely knew him before Walt.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I would think that Mike will be a somewhat recurring character cause Saul definitely knew him before Walt.
    Probably not since Jonathan Banks is going to be on several episodes of Community this season. I'd like to see it but it's probably not going to happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Probably not since Jonathan Banks is going to be on several episodes of Community this season. I'd like to see it but it's probably not going to happen.
    Alison Brie has been a series regular on both Community and Mad Men for years. Working two TV shows at the same time isn't that tough. Just ask Bob Saget.

17. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-12-2013),RichRed (09-12-2013)

Alison Brie has been a series regular on both Community and Mad Men for years. Working two TV shows at the same time isn't that tough. Just ask Bob Saget.
    I agree with the point you're making, although in the case of Brie, she stopped being a regular on Mad Men around the third season -- about a year or so after Community started production. She's only appeared on about a half dozen episodes in the past three seasons of Mad Men.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

I've already read several sources report that Jonathan Banks is signed on for the spinoff.

community has around 13 episodes and cable shows have about the same. you can def do both when they have shorter seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    Foxx, Clooney, Smith all started in TV so the jump can happen.

I think all these people will have all the work they can handle, it just might not be the $20 million a film blockbuster type of work. There's really not too much of that to go around though.

I agree it's odd though, many of these TV shows are showcasing much better acting than anything you see in the movies.

Another name: Michael B. Jordan from The Wire (and Friday Night Lights) is going to be a mega star I think, in time.
    Travolta, Depp, and a little known actor named Clint Eastwood.

Robin Williams, Billy Crystal, and Belushi/Chase/Murray/Aykroyd/Murphy/Sandler/Myers/Candy

Turn Off Ads?