Game 4 (Arroyo)
    Game 5 (Latos)

Wildcard:

Game 1 (Cueto)
    Game 2 (Latos)
    Game 3 (Arroyo)
    Game 4 (Leake)
    Game 5 (Cueto)

I actually would like to see Cueto get a few extra days rest down the stretch, as I think he could use it. And for that reason, I like the idea of starting Bailey on the road to help him get those extra days. But this is obviously what I'd like to see and not what the Reds will actually do.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Set your playoff rotation

I understand wanting to pitch Bailey on the road, but I want Cueto and Latos pitching in the first two games, no matter what. Playoffs isn't a time for splits. It's a whole new ballgame in the playoffs. Play your best guys, period.

If Cueto and Latos do their job in the first two games, it really won't matter much who pitches after that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Game 1 - Latos
    Game 2 - Cueto
    Game 3 - Arroyo
    Game 4 - Latos
    Game 5 - Cueto
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    Game 1 - Latos
    Game 2 - Cueto
    Game 3 - Arroyo
    Game 4 - Latos
    Game 5 - Cueto
    I agree 100%. i think Leake and Bailey are showing signs of fatigue. Leake doesn't have the stuff to get around being tired and Bailey just isn't as dependable as I would like for the postseason.

Cueto
    Latos
    Arroyo

Rest up for the NLCS

I like the idea of Latos, Bailey, Cueto, Arroyo for the NLDS. I think pitching Bailey at home is just asking for a loss. Let him pitch where he is more comfortable.

Senor Votto

For the NLDS:

1. Latos
    2. Bailey
    3. Cueto
    4. Arroyo
    5. Latos

Latos
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Latos
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I think one thing is clear; Homer pitcheson Sunday night. Build rest of rotation from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Latos is VERY familiar with Pac Bell park since he pitched for the Padres.

Bailey is a LOT better on the road and in a big ball park. He has no business pitching in GABP.

Cueto has struggled as of late, hope he pitches better his next start. Save him for game 3, give him some rest.

Latos has been our best pitcher the last several weeks.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

You people are all outsmarting yourselves.

Far be it for me to defend Homer Bailey, but has anyone noticed that all three of his September starts in Great American Ballpark have been good ones? Two of them have come against teams fighting to get into the playoffs. I don't think GAB is in his head.

The only reason you start Homer Bailey in game 1 or 2 is if you think he gives you the best chance of winning game 1 or 2. That's not the case. The Reds have two starters that are significantly better than their other 3. You absolutely want those 2 guys going in the first two games to assure that you don't come back to Cincinnati down 0-2.

But let me make the case for a 3 man rotation in a 5-game series.

Imagine it's game 4. Either the Reds would be down 2-1 or up 2-1. Who would you rather have for those games? Cueto and Latos, albeit a bit tired? or our second/third tier starters?

This of course will all be moot if the Reds slip to the #3 seed.
    Stick to your guns.

Far be it for me to defend Homer Bailey, but has anyone noticed that all three of his September starts in Great American Ballpark have been good ones? Two of them have come against teams fighting to get into the playoffs. I don't think GAB is in his head.

The only reason you start Homer Bailey in game 1 or 2 is if you think he gives you the best chance of winning game 1 or 2. That's not the case. The Reds have two starters that are significantly better than their other 3. You absolutely want those 2 guys going in the first two games to assure that you don't come back to Cincinnati down 0-2.

Imagine it's game 4. Either the Reds would be down 2-1 or up 2-1. Who would you rather have for those games? Cueto and Latos, albeit a bit tired? or our second/third tier starters?

you are what the back of your baseball card says you are! Bailey splits are crazy better on the road. Pac Bell is a huge ball park which could help his mistake pitches...like tonight againt Gonzolas.sp?

We have beat Cain twice this year. Pitch our hot pitcher, Latos game one. Pitch Bailey against Lincecum.

If Cueto pitches good his next start, start him game 1 and Latos game 3. However Bailey needs to be game #2 starter. He's been pitching great and he will be in a big ball park.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Bailey's ERA on the road this year is 2.63. Cueto's ERA is 2.86. Now even if you assume that's a push or an edge to Cueto, consider the difference in Bailey at home (over 5 ERA) versus Cueto pitching at home (2.80).

It seems to me that, statistically, the Reds' best move is to pitch Bailey in one of the first two games if in fact he's going to get the edge over Leake for the fourth starter.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Bailey's ERA on the road this year is 2.63. Cueto's ERA is 2.86. Now even if you assume that's a push or an edge to Cueto, consider the difference in Bailey at home (over 5 ERA) versus Cueto pitching at home (2.80).

It seems to me that, statistically, the Reds' best move is to pitch Bailey in one of the first two games if in fact he's going to get the edge over Leake for the fourth starter.
    Statistics play out well over a whole season. In the playoffs, you get one shot. Make it your best, and Cueto and Latos are the Reds best, significantly better than any other Reds pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Latos
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Latos
    Id go with this. I think Arroyo will be the unsung hero of the playoffs for the Reds. Hes pitched just as good as Latos lately. I think it was his start before last where he gave up something like 4 runs. Other than that hes been lights out with hardly any run support. I like my odds with Latos and Arroyo going games 1 and 2. However Dusty will start Cueto game 1. I love Cueto to death but you have to go with the hot hand. Its not a time to look at what a guy did in April through August. Its about what they're currently doing here in September and into October. So hopefully Cueto finds the magic touch to his breaking stuff here on Wed. vs. the Brewers.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Turn Off Ads?