Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Most Overrated

What do you think is overrated? It can come from any walk of life. Here is my list for starters:
    1) NFL - too many commercials, too much coverage,
    2) Belgian Beers
    3) Wine - maybe I'm just a cheap beer guy, but I think people go after expensive wine just because its expensive.
    4) Graeter's Ice Cream - Its good, but not that good
    5) Sour Cream - All it does it make your meal cold
    6) Chipotle - The new crack for middle class high-schoolers. Basically, they sell you rice in a tortilla - great, thanks
    7) Any award show (Oscars, Emmy's etc...) - what a colossal waste of human energy and time
    8) Traffic in the Midwest - c'mon guys, I would call a friend at 9:00pm in DC to keep him company in traffic.
    9) Sports Cars - You really paid all of that money for a car your not allowed to drive fast?
    10) Roller Coasters - I want to leave barfing to the flu.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Most Overrated

I actually think your list is decent, but I disagree with you big-time about the NFL and Graeter's. The NFL is great and Greater's is better. It really is that good.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Chipotle is underrated

I agree with Redhook about Graeters. I've tried "the best ice cream" in other cities and none have matched Graeters - none.

With regard to Chipotle, if you're just getting tortillas and rice, then you're not paying attention to the questions being asked of you. Of course, I stopped asking for a burrito and now get the Bol. I can ask for less rice, if I want, and getting that great chicken, the mild tomato salsa, the medium corn salsa, lettuce, sour cream (sorry, I like it on that) and cheese. Nice, cheap meal.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I agree with Redhook about Graeters. I've tried "the best ice cream" in other cities and none have matched Graeters - none.

With regard to Chipotle, if you're just getting tortillas and rice, then you're not paying attention to the questions being asked of you. Of course, I stopped asking for a burrito and now get the Bol. I can ask for less rice, if I want, and getting that great chicken, the mild tomato salsa, the medium corn salsa, lettuce, sour cream (sorry, I like it on that) and cheese. Nice, cheap meal.
    I'm not saying that it is bad, just overrated. I guess you guys aren't around high school kids all that often. They treat it like a 5 star restaurant. It has almost mythical status.
    As far as the NFL goes, here is a list of why the NFL is overrated (I like lists if you can't already tell)
    -Too many commercials. Here is a common occurrence - Touchdown, Commercial, Kickoff, Commercial, 3 and out, Commercial. NFL games can really be condensed into about 15 minutes of real action.
    -The Draft is the most over-hyped waste of 48 hours. Do we really need 500 mock drafts? How much of people short human existence is wasted on something so superfluous. All you need to do is buy the following Mondays USA Today and your fine.
    -Any sport that meets the following conditions would be popular
    1) Played in the late fall and winter when it is too cold to go outside
    2) Played for the most part only on Sundays when no one works
    3) Played during the day so you don't have to stay awake late to watch
    Imagine the pressure in a baseball game if they only played once week. Imagine how hard NBA players would play. Imagine what a war all 16 hockey games would be.
    -Somehow, the NFL has a clean image. They have the most scandals, most jerks, and most criminals of any major sport, and somehow there is no real outrage that the league needs to clean itself up.
    -Fantasy Football is a waste of time.
    -There are daily studio analysis shows in July. Just dumb
    -The Brett Favre story
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

ESPN/SportsCenter

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    ESPN/SportsCenter
    Tuned into that this morning and they were getting ready for a preview of the Yanks vs. Red Sox and then an updated story on Brett Favre. I quickly turned the TV off.

- Starbucks.
    - "Green".
    - Star Wars Episodes 1-3.
    - The Rolling Stones.
    - Football coverage (not football itself...just how it's covered.)
    - Lobster. It's OK but I don't go ga-ga over it like some do.
    - Gotta go along with *BaseClogger* on ESPN/SportsCenter

I'm not sure how Sportscenter can be overrated when a growing population of people say they don't enjoy the show. Respected media members, ESPNs Ombudsman, regular joes. At some point the term "overrated" ceases to apply.

At the top of my list are hipsters. The clothes they wear, the bands they listen to that no one knows about, art in their condo, the desperate need to be in a WiFi zone even when not conducting business, must be the first to have and dump the latest gadgets...what does all of that really get you? What am I missing out on?

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I'm not saying that it is bad, just overrated. I guess you guys aren't around high school kids all that often. They treat it like a 5 star restaurant. It has almost mythical status.
    As far as the NFL goes, here is a list of why the NFL is overrated (I like lists if you can't already tell)
    -Too many commercials. Here is a common occurrence - Touchdown, Commercial, Kickoff, Commercial, 3 and out, Commercial. NFL games can really be condensed into about 15 minutes of real action.
    -The Draft is the most over-hyped waste of 48 hours. Do we really need 500 mock drafts? How much of people short human existence is wasted on something so superfluous. All you need to do is buy the following Mondays USA Today and your fine.
    -Any sport that meets the following conditions would be popular
    1) Played in the late fall and winter when it is too cold to go outside
    2) Played for the most part only on Sundays when no one works
    3) Played during the day so you don't have to stay awake late to watch
    Imagine the pressure in a baseball game if they only played once week. Imagine how hard NBA players would play. Imagine what a war all 16 hockey games would be.
    -Somehow, the NFL has a clean image. They have the most scandals, most jerks, and most criminals of any major sport, and somehow there is no real outrage that the league needs to clean itself up.
    -Fantasy Football is a waste of time.
    -There are daily studio analysis shows in July. Just dumb
    -The Brett Favre story
    I am 18 so maybe that's why i'm hooked on Chipotle.

JTM (it's Alpo as far as I'm concerned)

Penn Station subs

both Skyline and Gold Star (I, like most, can make far better chili at home)
    Last edited by GAC; 07-26-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    What do you expect from high school kids? They wouldn't know haute cuisinie if it fell on them. And it's a decent value and beats the daylights out of the usual burger joint. Not to mention, I personally like their production requirement viz how the food products are raised.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Here's some of my list:

Red Sox vs Yankees games - for those of us not on the east coast, it really is just another game.

Miley Cyrus / Jonas Brothers - (or for that matter, any other flavor of the month, teenage singer/group) unlistenable.

Wal-Mart - cheap prices maybe, but is saving $0.25 worth all that aggravation?

NBA - maybe if they would raise the net about 10 feet, I could get myself to watch.

Donald Trump - I know you're a billionaire and all, but is everything you do really the "best"

The Olympics - Chicago is pimping hard to get them, but for me personally, I just don't get them.

e-85 gas - sure it's cheaper, but you get less miles to the gallon, so what are you really saving?

cell phones - even with today's technology, no, I can't hear you now

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago View Post
    e-85 gas - sure it's cheaper, but you get less miles to the gallon, so what are you really saving?
    Good one. It also burns hotter and is damaging engines. It can REALLY mess up air-cooled 2-stroke engines.

Bob Evans (most of the food is now pre-packaged and over-processed)

Arby's (bland)

White Castle (puke)

Domino's/Papa Johns/Pizza Hut (I can make a better pizza at home)

Taco Bell (food quality can be very poor)

Turn Off Ads?