Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the latest with Gomes?

Re: What's the latest with Gomes?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Foxsports' take:

Gomes enhances talent-laden Reds — 3:20 p.m.

Talking with a National League executive the other day, I was surprised to hear him mention the Reds as a possible breakout team.

The reason, the executive said, was simple.

“Talent.”

The re-signing of outfielder Jonny Gomes on Monday to a one-year contract with a club option for 2011 only enhances that talent.

Gomes, 29, hit 20 home runs in 281 at-bats last season. He mashes left- handed pitching, and likely will platoon with Chris Dickerson, a left- handed hitter, in left field.

So, how good are the Reds?

Maybe good enough to threaten the Cardinals in the Central and produce the team’s first winning season since 2000.

The Reds’ infield will be Joey Votto at first, Brandon Phillips at second, Orlando Cabrera at short, Scott Rolen at third. Ramon Hernandez will catch, and the outfield will consist of Jay Bruce in right, Drew Stubbs in center and Dickerson and Gomes in left.

Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto and Homer Bailey are the top four starters under new pitching coach Bryan Price. The bullpen, which ranked third in the N.L. last season in ERA, remains intact.

— Ken Rosenthal

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/M...ng-buzz-021510
    I don't think we're allowed to read optimistic viewpoints about the team's chances...
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    It's probably less than $1M and absolutely nothing to sweat. If he makes the club, it's moot. If he doesn't, it's not our money nor is it a significant amount that would truly affect the teams payroll....
    I'm with you. At this point, it's probably safe to say that signing Gomes isn't going to stop us from signing anyone else. If he helps the club, he's a bargain. If he doesn't, he's easy to toss overboard. I think he'll end up being an asset; having a powerful lefty-masher available to spot-start and pinch-hit is a good thing for a club to have, as long as he comes cheap and is used properly.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by tripleaaaron View Post
    I agree. Its just too bad he was given a major league deal with an option for 2011. Don't like that quite as much.
    Reports are that it's the club's option. There's no downside to that. In fact, I'd venture that the benefit of a club option might have been what convinced them to go ahead and sign him to a major-league deal.

hopefully his name makes an appearance shortly on the "I'm in the best shape of my life" thread.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

So people were mad we non-tendered him, now we get him back and people are upset we gave him a minor league deal. What? Anyways, Gomes is going to be on the roster no matter what, so I have no problem giving him a major league deal. He improves the bench, but hopefully he doesn't get the majority of ABs in LF.

So what do our position players look like?

Hernandez
    Hanigan

Votto
    Phillips
    Cabrera
    Rolen
    Janish
    Miles

Bruce
    Stubbs
    Dickerson
    Gomes
    Balentin

At first glance, the infield depth scares me, but when you consider if any of the infielders make a DL trip we have some infielders in the high minors ready to come up, I'm okay with it.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    So people were mad we non-tendered him, now we get him back and people are upset we gave him a minor league deal.
    It's the same "people" with those two positions?

If so, fetch the comfy chair.

This would be interesting, if true. From rotoworld:

The Braves and Reds could be in the mix for free agent outfielder Garret Anderson, according to SI.com's Jon Heyman.

The Reds would seem to be done with their outfield shopping after signing Jonny Gomes Monday, but maybe not. Anderson, who turns 38 in June, batted .268/.303/.410 with 13 home runs, 61 RBI and a 705 OPS last season for the Braves. A poor defender with a rapidly declining bat is not a good recipe for even a fourth outfielder, especially with better options still available, but perhaps agent Scott Boras can convince a team otherwise.

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Hey you came over with me, so we were both here at the same time... BTW ramon not Miles will get that 1st base time
    Yeah, but I started on long-forgotten Red's message boards with ChipR back in '97, where were you?: (Channeling my inner Marty--get off my lawn!)

If Ramon plays first, then Hanigan catches...Ryan and Miles are in the same uninspiring category as RHHs. So...I continue to pine for a RHH backup 1b/LF who can rake...who knew these palookas could be so hard to find? (I get it, NL rosters need "more versatile players" for double-switches, etc...but then what does that make Gomes, exactly?)
    Never overlook the obvious

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I don't think we're allowed to read optimistic viewpoints about the team's chances...
    I can't get used to something so right -- Paul Simon

(of course, I'm a Vikings and Blazers fan too, so "cautiously optimistic" is in my DNA)
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    This would be interesting, if true. From rotoworld:
    Not too sure what Anderson could provide that Nix couldn't give us.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

woy invented baseball history.

well if he didn't he should have. the man is a fountain of knowledge.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I wanna be on record for not being bothered by this deal.

In a platoon, Dickerson will log more AB's and innings in the field (most importantly).

I also like Gomes off the bench against lefties late in a ballgame.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I wanna be on record for not being bothered by this deal.

In a platoon, Dickerson will log more AB's and innings in the field (most importantly).

I also like Gomes off the bench against lefties late in a ballgame.
    Same here.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    But then again I would never say that anything was universally loved on RZ either.
    The departure of W. Taveras?

I don't care about the deal. It won't be for anything more than a million and he can hit a little. I was hoping to see Dickerson play more this year though... Hopefully this keeps Nix from making the team.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I'm really kind of surprised at the level of skepticism around Gomes. If he is on a guaranteed deal for a reasonable amount of money, then why all the fuss? He is an obvious offensive upgrade over what is in house for LF and, at worst, is a good bat to have on the bench.

Mindboggling, to be honest.
    This.

Turn Off Ads?