Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good luck little man

Good luck little man

If reports are true on Torreyes being in the deal...count me among the many fans who feel as if they just got punched in the gut. One of my favorite minor league players ever, both as a player and person.

I guess the Reds thought the odds were stacked against a 5'7", 145 lbs. player. Maybe they are right. I will be pulling for him.

Good luck little man. Keep proving them wrong.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good luck little man

Agreed, 72. Torreyes was probably my favorite player in the system.

Ditto.

We're unanimous. Losing Torreyes will dampen the exercise of following the minor leaguers on a daily basis. He was a guy you could root for like no other. He makes it happen. And while I'll continue to pull for him and admire his talents, I don't look forward to the prospect of trying to get him out 60 times a year when he's in a Cubs uniform.

He was No. 3 on my prospect list, by the way. And it was a very close call for No. 2 (behind Mesoraco) between him and Hamilton.
    Last edited by mace; 12-23-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Don't know what Walt was thinking here... Marshall had better be extended already, otherwise we just lost three of my favorite players in the system for a reliever rental. I wish Torreyes and Sappelt well. They're upstanding guys who I thought were gonna be our future.

He will be missed. He was on track to be a prototypical slick fielding, high contact hitting middle infielder.
    I also interpret the trade to mean that the Reds are high on Ryan Wright.

sucks

I was DEFINITELY looking forward to a Hamilton/Torreyes middle-infield a few seasons from now...

I have a feeling I WON'T be looking forward to a Castro/Torreyes middle-infield a few seasons from now...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Hard to wish him luck as he is now a Cub, but I'm still looking forward to seeing him in the bigs at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    We're unanimous. Losing Torreyes will dampen the exercise of following the minor leaguers on a daily basis. He was a guy you could root for like no other. He makes it happen. And while I'll continue to pull for him and admire his talents, I don't look forward to the prospect of trying to get him out 60 times a year when he's in a Cubs uniform.

He was No. 3 on my prospect list, by the way. And it was a very close call for No. 2 (behind Mesoraco) between him and Hamilton.
    I agree. Part of the fun of being a Reds fan was watching the young guys like Torreyes and Boxberger and Grandal and seeing them develop and know that one day they would be at the major league level.

Like someone said, it was fun imagining a DP combination of Hamilton and Torreyes together for 5-6 years.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

No offense guys, but "part of the fun of being a Reds fan was watching the young guys" was because the Reds stunk. I'll glady take a good major league team at the expense of following the minor leaguers...

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    No offense guys, but "part of the fun of being a Reds fan was watching the young guys" was because the Reds stunk. I'll glady take a good major league team at the expense of following the minor leaguers...
    Couldn't disagree more. It is 1000% more satisfying watching home grown talent play in Cincinnati than imported talent.

Baseball is about so much more than winning the Worlds Series, because 99.999% of the baseball world aren't even eligible to play in the series. Baseball is much more of a minor league sport than it is a major league sport. Baseball is not a packed stadium in New York or Boston where players are overpaid and full of themselves, but it is a field out in the middle of Texas on a hot summer night as a group of 19-21 year minor leaguers go at it on a ball diamond, simply because they love the game and have stars in their eyes. Baseball is a game for kids, just learning how to hit, throw, and catch a baseball. How many Little Leagues and "Knothole" leagues are there around the country throughout the summer?

I think the major league team is actually the weak link of the entire system. Too much money and too many selfish owners and players who forgot what it was like to play the game as a kid. Give me the youngsters - every time.

True joy comes watching the kid grow up and be good enough to be signed to a minor league contract, with the hope that one day that kid will step foot on a major league field. I get the greatest satisfaction watching the players drafted by the Reds, developed in the Reds' system, playing for the Reds in Cincinnati.

If it wasn't that way, I would not follow baseball.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Hey, everybody's got a reason why they're attracted to the game and I'm not gonna try to tell you how to enjoy it.

Me personally, I want to see the Reds succeed. Those "starry eyed youngsters" are dreaming of someday getting the game winning hit on the biggest stage, the bottom of the ninth in game 7 of the World Series. That's what I want to see--the Reds winning dramatically in the postseason.

Great post though...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Couldn't disagree more. It is 1000% more satisfying watching home grown talent play in Cincinnati than imported talent.

Baseball is about so much more than winning the Worlds Series, because 99.999% of the baseball world aren't even eligible to play in the series. Baseball is much more of a minor league sport than it is a major league sport. Baseball is not a packed stadium in New York or Boston where players are overpaid and full of themselves, but it is a field out in the middle of Texas on a hot summer night as a group of 19-21 year minor leaguers go at it on a ball diamond, simply because they love the game and have stars in their eyes. Baseball is a game for kids, just learning how to hit, throw, and catch a baseball. How many Little Leagues and "Knothole" leagues are there around the country throughout the summer?

I think the major league team is actually the weak link of the entire system. Too much money and too many selfish owners and players who forgot what it was like to play the game as a kid. Give me the youngsters - every time.

True joy comes watching the kid grow up and be good enough to be signed to a minor league contract, with the hope that one day that kid will step foot on a major league field. I get the greatest satisfaction watching the players drafted by the Reds, developed in the Reds' system, playing for the Reds in Cincinnati.

If it wasn't that way, I would not follow baseball.

Terrific post.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    If reports are true on Torreyes being in the deal...count me among the many fans who feel as if they just got punched in the gut. One of my favorite minor league players ever, both as a player and person.

I guess the Reds thought the odds were stacked against a 5'7", 145 lbs. player. Maybe they are right. I will be pulling for him.

Good luck little man. Keep proving them wrong.
    I agree with your sentiments regarding Torreyes. I hate to see him go too. In fact I imagine the Reds hated to trade him. Just because the Reds traded him does not mean they don't think he is going to be good. If he does well it will not prove the Reds were wrong. The Reds did not give up on Torreyes. If you want to obtain the best reliever in the majors over the last two years you have to give up some good prospects you would rather not give up. The fact Torreyes was a key part of a deal to obtain such a good pitcher indicates that he is a coveted asset. Bad players don't get traded -- because nobody wants them. Getting traded is a compliment because it proves you are good enough that another team wants you.

Turn Off Ads?