Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best manager in the game today?

Re: Who is the best manager in the game today?

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I'd put Dusty at the top or right near the top. That's mainly because I see the tactician portion of a managers job to be the smallest portion. He's clearly a weak tactician...but outside of that, he's the best manager of people in sports that I've seen in a looooong while.
    Agree that the tactical part of managing is very overrated. Players make the difference most of the time not managers. That goes for any sport in my opinion.

Most people think football coaches have greatest impact of any sport. Yet no one has ever coached 2 different organizations to a Super Bowl. That covers something like almost 70 seasons last I checked of different coaches like Parcells and others trying. That's a Cubs like streak with people who have won it all before.

At the end of the day talent usually wins or loses.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Real time Reds Zone: What are people's thoughts on J Maddon's handling of Alex Cobb tonight? Over 100 pitches through 4, he is striking out everyone, he brings him out for the 5th and Cobb finishes with 117 pitches in total.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Real time Reds Zone: What are people's thoughts on J Maddon's handling of Alex Cobb tonight? Over 100 pitches through 4, he is striking out everyone, he brings him out for the 5th and Cobb finishes with 117 pitches in total.
    I don't like it. He threw 107 on the 5th, so it wasn't a scenario where he was coming off of an extra day of rest where he only threw 70 pitches the last time out. Now, if he threw say 65 pitches in the first two innings but was cruising after that, I can at least understand the rational behind it (I have no clue what his pitch counts were at any point in the game - just speaking hypothetically) even though I still think he had enough.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Bad move. That many pitches in such a low number of innings is worse than normal because he's not getting to rest between innings as much. Lots of pitches in one inning fatigues you quicker than a bunch of innings. Bad move.

Bochy and Madden for me.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Davey
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Anyone that understands how to build a batting order.

Joe Maddon and the TB coaching staff causing another RaysZone meltdown with the handling of Hellickson tonight.

Pay attention to other teams as much as you do the Reds and I guarantee that the similarities will be pretty apparent.

10. Likes:

Chip R (05-11-2013)

Joe Maddon and the TB coaching staff causing another RaysZone meltdown with the handling of Hellickson tonight.

Pay attention to other teams as much as you do the Reds and I guarantee that the similarities will be pretty apparent.
    I think every teams fanbase hates their manager.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

12. Likes:

Chip R (05-11-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think every teams fanbase hates their manager.
    Not Red Sox fans yet, but that's because he's not Bobby Valentine.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

14. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (09-30-2013),dougdirt (05-11-2013),RedsfaninMT (05-11-2013)

JMadd with another questionable performance with Hellickson tonight. Sensing a pattern here.

JMadd with another questionable performance with Hellickson tonight. Sensing a pattern here.
    Stalk much?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I'm not a fan of the Cardinals-but Tony Larussa's record of success speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Stalk much?
    Cobb and Hellickson are on my fantasy team. So no.

But these instances are highly relevant to this board and discussion. Many hear that Maddon does things differently, he is saber savvy, he is the best manager in the game, etc. And look at these three games. With two young, talented arms.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Hellickson had an 8 run leading heading into the 8th inning and was well under 100 pitches heading into the inning. He gave up a triple then an RBI groundout. So he was still under 100 pitches with 1 out in the 8th and a 7 run lead. Probably no reason to get the bullpen up. He gave up a single, then got a ground out. 2 outs in the 8th inning and still a 7 run lead. Still under 100 pitches. Then back to back hits and he gets pulled.

Not sure tonight is the best example.

20. Likes:

Tony Cloninger (05-17-2013)

Turn Off Ads?