Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Quick Question

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quick Question

I have the fourth pick in my draft tomorrow.

We play in a league that is points based and head to head. All offensive categories are there: OBP, hits, walks, the whole deal.

It looks like the first three picks are going to go this way:

Pujols
    Soriano
    A-Rod

This leaves me with a choice between Ryan Howard and David Ortiz.

I'm leaning towards Ortiz simply because of his park and the fact that he has been consistent over the past few years.

In our scoring system, each averaged about 4.9 points a game, so it looks like a wash, but does anybody have a way they would lean? Or am I forgetting about anybody else?

Travis Haffner was worth more per game than Ortiz, but I can't make myself take him at number 4, even though he was worth the second most points per game.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I'm toolsy.

Re: Quick Question

Does Big Papi qualify at 1B in this league or DH / Utility only? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Does Big Papi qualify at 1B in this league or DH / Utility only? That would be the deciding factor for me.
    My belief is he qualifies at 1B.

I think I'm going to draft him if that is the case. Especially since we do penalize for errors, which gives me an advantgae that way. One I'm not going to bring up at the draft.

If you can't get Pujols, don't get a 1B in the first round. You can find plenty of heavy-hitting 1Bs later.

Utley or Reyes (not Uribe -- Thanks, RL!) are both by far the top performers at their positions (Utley moreso). A duo of Utley and a mid-rounder like Teixiera or even Giambi will outscore Ortiz and any other 2B.

Or consider an OF -- I know there are plenty of them out there, but everyone needs 3, so it makes sense to get one of the best. Beltran is a good choice at #4.

And Johan Santana is probably a better choice than any of those hitters.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 03-16-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Utley or Uribe are both by far the top performers at their positions (Utley moreso). A duo of Utley and a mid-rounder like Teixiera or even Giambi will outscore Ortiz and any other 2B.
    Uribe? Juan Uribe?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 03-16-2007 at 04:58 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Uribe? Juan Uribe?
    Sorry, Jose Reyes.

I was thinking "Jose the shortstop" and my brain fixed on Jose Uribe for some reason.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Well, thanks for the advice guys.

It;s a little unfair since you can't see my scoring system, but it actually looks like a wash no matter what I do.

Consider this:

Ortiz= 4.9 PPG
    Utley= 4.2

Giambi= 4.1

Our top 5 second baseman at least average 3.5 PPG. After that there is some drop off, but there are lots available at 3.3 PPG, which makes it a wash.

Add it up and you're better off taking Ortiz and the lesser second baseman. Ortiz is that valuable because he walks.

Now- Beltran is an interesting choice as he averaged what Ortiz did, but part of his value is steals, and I don't like that. If he has a leg injury that he can play through, he isn't going to run.

What's interesting is that Beltran is by far the best outfielder, and Soriano is going to go beofre him.

Sorry, Jose Reyes.

I was thinking "Jose the shortstop" and my brain fixed on Jose Uribe for some reason.
    I thought that may be who you were thinking of, but then thought "that's not even close..."

Then I thought maybe I warped back to 1988. I was looking for my Def Leppard tour shirt.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If you can't get Pujols, don't get a 1B in the first round. You can find plenty of heavy-hitting 1Bs later.

Utley or Reyes (not Uribe -- Thanks, RL!) are both by far the top performers at their positions (Utley moreso). A duo of Utley and a mid-rounder like Teixiera or even Giambi will outscore Ortiz and any other 2B.

Or consider an OF -- I know there are plenty of them out there, but everyone needs 3, so it makes sense to get one of the best. Beltran is a good choice at #4.

And Johan Santana is probably a better choice than any of those hitters.
    I agree, Utley is far above any other 2b and you can get a 1B closer to either of the 2 you mentioned than you can a 2B that will put up Utley's kind of numbers.

I really appreciate the advice guys.

I'm leaving right now to do the draf, but I'm still leaning towards taking ortiz.

In our scoring system he is tha much better than everybody else at his own position with the exception of Pujols that to pass on him would be foolish, especially at 4.

Turn Off Ads?