Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

I posted this in another thread but it probably deserves a thread of its own...

Reds have talked to agent for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell
    Posted by JohnFay at 12/10/2008 8:12 PM EST on Cincinnati.com

In the quest for a right-handed hitting outfielder, the Reds have talked to representatives for free agents Rocco Baldelli and Juan Rivera.

The significant news: They plan to talk to Pat Burrell's representatives as well.

"They called us," Walt Jocketty said.

The Reds have not talked to any left-handed-hitting, free agent outfielders.

Burrell is one of the big dollar free agents on the market -- probably too expensive for the Reds -- but there's been little movement overall in free agency so prices could drop.

Baldelli is intriguing. He's only 26. He was budding star at 21, hitting .289 with 11 home runs and 78 RBI for Tampa Bay. But he struggled with injuries -- knee, elbow, hamstring -- after that.

He then came down with a mitochondrial disorder, a condition that slows muscle recovery and causes severe fatigue. He missed the first 116 games of the season of 2008 season. Baldelli made his way back to the majors on Aug. 11. He hit .263 in 28 games with four home runs and 13 RBIs for the Rays in 2008.

There are still questions on how much he can play.

Rivera, 29, hit .246 with 12 home runs and 45 RBI in 256 at-bats for Anaheim.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...cincinnati.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds have talked to agents for Baldelli, Rivera, plan to talk Burrell

I'd take Rivera if they could get him cheap. If Baldelli falls through the cracks (he won't, because the Red Sox will probably scoop him up) I'd take a shot. But with his condition he probably needs to be in the AL where he could DH a couple times per week.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

I love it. Baldelli would be a huge pick up for the Reds. I'm also glad that Walt is at least exploring the chances on all three of these guys, as they are three guys on my list.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I would like to see Baldelli brought in as a part time player. With his condition I am not sure he can hold up over a full season of play, but playing every couple of days wouldn't be a bad thing, especially against lefties where he has hit .296/.347/.494 for his career.

I like Rocco Baldelli a lot, but can he play everyday? If not, I'd still like to see him brought in to platoon with Dickerson in CF. I also like Juan Rivera - he's been very solid in a starter role and he plays good defense. Burrell would be my third choice of the three, and I wouldn't give him anymore than two years.

Baldelli and Rivera? Sign me up for 90 losses then.

Burrell would be spit on by the fan base.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

Probably the same fan base that thought Dunn was not a valuable player. Just because the fan base doesn't like a guy doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable addition.

Now, we're talking. Dye/Bailey.... stupid move. Picking up Baldelli on a 1 year deal to let him prove his health is exactly the kind of Josh Hamilton move we need to make.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Probably the same fan base that thought Dunn was not a valuable player. Just because the fan base doesn't like a guy doesn't mean he wouldn't be a valuable addition.
    I was under the impression that Burrell would be like Adam Dunn but more expensive. I don't think he's the kind of guy the Reds should pursue, whatever the fan base thinks.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cyclone, I have to ask, what makes you believe either of the two guys would be brought in as a starter?

As for Burrell, who cares what the fans think? Bring in quality players, period.

2 year deal with Rivera and stick him in left field.

He has posted an average of these numbers in the 3 years when he was given over 100 games of playing time.

.296 / .347 / .481

He has been injured the past 2 years and I think deserves a shot at a bargain price to fill the need of a right handed hitter.

Nice little article on him
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...n-juan-rivera/

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a Dunn thread, but if the Reds are seriously considering either of those three guys then they ought to just bring Dunn back.

Rivera can't find first base. Burrell is an older, slower, less productive, and worse defender than Dunn. I like Baldelli when he plays, but signing Baldelli would just mean that Norris Hopper would get 75 starts in left field.

Acquiring a guy like Jermaine Dye makes sense in the fact that A) he's actually good, and B) he's likely just a stopgap until Alonso forces the Reds' hands with Votto and the first base/left field situation.

I don't want to turn this into a Dunn thread, but if the Reds are seriously considering either of those three guys then they ought to just bring Dunn back.

Rivera can't find first base. Burrell is an older, slower, less productive, and worse defender than Dunn. I like Baldelli when he plays, but signing Baldelli would just mean that Norris Hopper would get 75 starts in left field.

Acquiring a guy like Jermaine Dye makes sense in the fact that A) he's actually good, and B) he's likely just a stopgap until Alonso forces the Reds' hands with Votto and the first base/left field situation.
    Why pay $11M plus Homer Bailey and prospects for a one year stopgap when we can sign somebody like Rivera and/or Baldelli and possibly get a high reward out of them

Quote Originally Posted by Rounding Third View Post
    Why pay $11M plus Homer Bailey and prospects for a one year stopgap when we can sign somebody like Rivera and/or Baldelli and possibly get a high reward out of them
    Because Jermaine Dye would actually help win you games?

Because Homer Bailey's trade value will be nothing this time next year?

Because Jermaine Dye is then likely a Type A free agent when his contract is up?

Homer Bailey can't find the strike zone. And barring injuries that would cripple the Reds' rotation this year, he isn't going to find the Reds' rotation either. Once his option years are up, whatever trade value he has now vanishes into thin air.

The Reds have an absolute hole in left field, and the only way this offense scores enough runs to matter next season is if it's filled with an absolute impact bat. Juan Rivera's lousy on-base percentage isn't that. Rocco Baldelli and a 75-game caddy isn't that. I like Burrell, but gee if you're bringing in Pat Burrell just skip over his name and dial Adam Dunn's number.

Juan Rivera has put up this line as a starter: .289/.335/.474 - .809 OPS in 1,777 plate appearances. He's also a good defender. With the league change and if his BABIP normalizes (it was a ridiculously low .242 in 2008), he could possibly OPS in the .840 to .850ish area while supplying solid defense.

Turn Off Ads?