Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monday 7/27/09 minor league updates

Re: Monday 7/27/09 minor league updates

Yorman Rodriguez just homered! He's 2-for-3 with a double and a HR (#2).

Shea Snowden: 5 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 7 K

2. Turn Off Ads?

I was talking about him not really having power a couple days ago. Seems like he just didnt get enough time to show it off.

So... Yorman is good?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I was talking about him not really having power a couple days ago. Seems like he just didnt get enough time to show it off.
    Scouts describe Yorman as having anywhere from plus raw power to plus-plus raw power. He's still a few years from dipping into that power potential though, IMO. He's still got a lot of filling out to do. Same with Duran.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Scouts describe Yorman as having anywhere from plus raw power to plus-plus raw power. He's still a few years from dipping into that power potential though, IMO.
    Yea I was saying it was more like the peripherals were showing up just the power wasnt yet.

BTW, according to the recap, Yorman's home run was a line drive to right field. Opposite field HR for a 16-year old. Impressive. His double was a line drive to center.

Has Valor played anywhere yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003 View Post
    Has Valor played anywhere yet?
    No. You probably won't see him until next June.

Could Yorman be profiting from the pitchers being a little more in the strike zone? That seems to happen some times as players move up, especially fairly raw guys.

Also, I forgot to post this earlier but I asked Dusty Baker if Drew Stubbs and Chris Heisey were considered for Chris Dickerson's roster spot.

"Yeah," he said. "But they need to play."

So in other words dont expect Heisey or Stubbs for the next 2 years at least .

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Jordan Hotchkiss's last four appearances for Dayton: 12 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 12 K
    Dang it, I guess I gave Jordan the Hotchkiss of death. After extolling his virtues, he went back out for the 9th and lost it on a HBP, sac and single.

Dayton lost 3-2 but Josh Fellhauer went 3-for-5 with a double and his 4th home run. Through 95 atbats, he's hitting .316/.375/.526 - .901 OPS with eight doubles and four homers and has also stolen four bases. I've been surprised by how much power he's hit for so far. Baseball America said he was one of the best defensive center fielders in college baseball, that combined with his bat makes him a legit prospect.

Is Zack Cozart hurt?

He hasnt started a game since July 24th

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post

"Yeah," he said. "But they need to play."

Translation: "They can bring'em up, but I ain't playin'em - not when there's talents like WillyT & JHJ around."

Starter Shea Snowden (2-2) pitched superbly during his six-inning stint. And 16-year-old newcomer Yorman Rodriguez showed why the Reds were willing to shell out $2.5 million dollars to sign him. The teenager hit a run-scoring double and a solo home run in his home field debut.

Could the addition of Rodriguez brighten what has been a rough (10-22) season?

"I hope so," Mustangs manager Julio Garcia said. "His inexperience is going show up from time to time. And, that's OK, too. That's part of the learning process. He'll provide some pretty good moments as well."

Rodriguez, who had gone 3-for-7 with a home run after joining the team in Missoula, wasted no time against Great Falls' Garrett Johnson (0-1). Rodriguez hit a 1-2 pitch to deep left center to score Efrain Contreras and he later scored on an infield hit by Mauricio Pimentel as the Mustangs grabbed a rare 2-0 lead in the first.

The native of Venezuela led off the fifth with a drive that bounced off the top of the wall in right center for a 3-0 lead.

"I'm feeling really good and I'm working hard,'' Rodriguez said through interpreter and Mustangs pitcher Leonardo Astorgia.

Snowden is glad to see Rodriguez have an early impact.

"I was with him down in extended spring training,'' Snowden said. "I really didn't see that out of him down there, but man, he's just blowing it away right now. I mean, two home runs in the first two games he's up here. You can't ask for anything more.''

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/ba...cc4c002e0.html

Turn Off Ads?