Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has main stream music passed away this generation?

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Re: Has main stream music passed away this generation?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The difference is, pop music used to at least attempt to hide what it was saying. Now they are just coming out and saying it. To adults, there is no difference. For kids, there is a huge difference.
    I think the bigger difference is adults get it now. I think in the past teenagers and young adults were the only ones that got it (I don't think Grandma knew what Shake, Rattle and Roll really meant). I just thank God my five year old doesn't know what she's singing about when she sings "You can blow whistle baby". That, and she prefers Taylor Swift to Katy Perry (for all the abuse Swift has taken on RZ she's pretty kid friendly).
    What if this is as good as it gets?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Each generation says the current "mainstream music" is awful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

If anything, it's probably the best time alive if you enjoy music.

I'm not even close to the oldest poster on here, but even as recently as 15 years ago, if you wanted to hear new music you had to either wait for something to be played on the radio, trade a physical mixtape with someone, or go to a Sam Goody/Tower Records and hope they had one of those "barcode scan to preview" machines available for the CDs being sold there.

I can buy music directly on my phone now. I can listen to 90 seconds of every song on the iTunes store to preview before I buy. I can download a program like Spotify and listen to any song I want on my computer (or my phone, for a monthly fee).

If anything, mainstream music has lost it's stranglehold on the market. It's bad (or perceived as bad) because it's become completely irrelevant.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    I've spent so much time finding the old classic cartoons for my nieces and nephews. Children's programming is in the same drek the music industry is. They are complete garbage IMO, there is more entertainment value and educational value in a single Bugs Bunny cartoon than whole days of Nick Jr.
    Call me dim, but I find Phineas and Ferb and Spongebob to be some pretty good stuff. Then again, I kind of dug that trucker music back in fourth grade, too.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTruck View Post
    I can't help but feel it has. Turning on the radio, and just listening to your standard music station you will hear nothing but mindless garbage. Very few songs have deep meaningful lyrics, or music and songs with serious "meat" on there bones.

Nirvana, Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin, The Who and so on and so forth. Music you would hear constantly on radio stations, day in and day out. Music that was popular by everyone's standards (more or less).

Today music feels like nothing more than mindless "junk food" music. With nothing but lyrics about how to screw men/women and bring them home to get laid. What happened to the day's of music like Bohemian Rhapsody, Stairway to Heaven, Lithium, Something in the Way, etc...music with lyrics that have meaning, that have soul and true, true, genuine "feeling" to them.

Where has that all disappeared? Obviously, there's an indie scene, and obviously good music is still being produced, you just have dig a bit harder and farther..but what happened to the days when you could hear great music, beautiful music, music with soul and passion in every note, being played on the radio nearly 24/7?

It's a sad state of affairs, when Justin Beiber and Flo Rida is being eclipsed by the standards of yesterday by today's youth.
    Music has several worlds going on at once- country, bubble gum, etc. are all here to stay and none have really left. That stuff always has a market.

There are simply no rock and roll bands anymore- well, there are some. Staind and some other make a go on alternative radio. But the classic rock sound thing has passed. Just as 1950s doo-wop passed.

It may come back. the Foos give me hope. Their peak is gone, but just the fact that they existed in a time when they were going it alone (it seemed anyway) is a good thing.

Perhaps Jimmy Page was a once in a two or three generation genius....but yeah, I find myself going back rather than forward.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

What I find interesting is how many young people are getting into older music. I think when I was a teenager I didn't know anyone my age who was into our parents' music much, but now you have teenagers listening to 60s and 70s music. That should say something about what's out there today and the quality of some of the older music.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    What I find interesting is how many young people are getting into older music. I think when I was a teenager I didn't know anyone my age who was into our parents' music much, but now you have teenagers listening to 60s and 70s music. That should say something about what's out there today and the quality of some of the older music.
    Actually it says that rock n roll changes less than the swing/standards/doo wop that prevailed 50 years ago.

When bands like Danny and the Juniors and The Penguins are considered rock n roll there really wasn't much to go back to when the Stones and the like were on the airwaves.

If I had to choose between FUN and some of the other twee infused bands out there I'd chase Ziggy Stardust too

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post

Duke Ellington said, "If it sounds good, it is good."

Perhaps the thing that makes the kids interested in music from the 60s and 70s is that there is some really good stuff to be heard from those decades. And really, should it be surprising that a kid would hear the Beatles and not like them? Millions of fainting girls can't be that wrong.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 12-17-2012 at 06:31 PM.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The Beatles music sucks. It doesn't sound good. I don't like it. I have never liked it. I have never understood the appeal to my generation.

The Beatles music sucks. It doesn't sound good. I don't like it. I have never liked it. I have never understood the appeal to my generation.
    I personally enjoy the beetles. There one of those rare bands that have a timeless sound to them, and the only band in my opinion that has the most hits and good quality song out of any band in history to date.

The Beatles suck as much as chocolate and beer

It's your opinion that it sucks, but in terms of musicianship, it most certainly does not suck.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Beatles suck as much as chocolate and beer
    Chocolate rules. Beer does suck. More than The Beatles.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    It's your opinion that it sucks, but in terms of musicianship, it most certainly does not suck.
    Certainly my opinion. I simply don't get it. Never have, never will.

Chocolate rules. Beer does suck. More than The Beatles.
    Maybe you're just listening to too much Budweiser. There are better LPs out there.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?