Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

I am not blaming Title IX for the rising costs of tuition at all. But I am saying that if you just cut all sports that can't support themselves, you could save students some actual money.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Okay, sorry for misunderstanding.
    I'm saying you're 100% wrong that cutting non revenue sports would actually save students money.

Those sports are generally paid out of athletic dept donations. Now I suppose it's possible that if you cut out all the non-revenue sports the athletic dept donations would be just as high and you could transfer the dollars to either a) the general student body or b) the revenue sports athletes, but both scenarios seem unlikely. College sports is a charade, but a lot of it's interest depends on that charade. However fair or unfair that may be.

I will say I tend to think an "Olympic model" where individual athletes are able to receive money from sources outside the university but were not paid directly by the university could be feasible.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I think in order to better understand this entire topic, we need to ask a simple question. What is the purpose of college athletics? I'm not sure I could come up with a solid answer.
    If you ask that question I think you need to ask a few more. What is the purpose of high school sports? What is the purpose of little league? What's the purpose of youth soccer? What's the purpose of band? What's the purpose of choir?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

This article gets to the heart and true challenge of the issue, the fans.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...em-loving-ncaa
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Here is the Daily Show's take on the NCAA.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...tly-fair-rules

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm saying you're 100% wrong that cutting non revenue sports would actually save students money.

Those sports are generally paid out of athletic dept donations.
    Now I suppose it's possible that if you cut out all the non-revenue sports the athletic dept donations would be just as high and you could transfer the dollars to either a) the general student body or b) the revenue sports athletes, but both scenarios seem unlikely. College sports is a charade, but a lot of it's interest depends on that charade. However fair or unfair that may be.

I will say I tend to think an "Olympic model" where individual athletes are able to receive money from sources outside the university but were not paid directly by the university could be feasible.
    It's been 5-6 years since I took it, but during college I took a class that got into sports and some of the economics. In that class we read an article that said Ohio State and Univ of Texas were the only two completely self supported Div 1 college athletic departments. It's been a few years but I think any college athletic departments that support themselves completely through revenue sports/donations are in the strong minority.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

FBS players do get paid. Dee Miller came down here to speak to the Ohio State alumni club this week. He said that the football players in his era (late 90s) received a monthly stipend of $600/month and that the current stipend is $1,300/month. It ain't NFL money. But it's enough to put groceries on the table and a fill the gas tank a few times.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    FBS players do get paid. Dee Miller came down here to speak to the Ohio State alumni club this week. He said that the football players in his era (late 90s) received a monthly stipend of $600/month and that the current stipend is $1,300/month. It ain't NFL money. But it's enough to put groceries on the table and a fill the gas tank a few times.
    That won't cover rent on a college campus.

But, I am curious if anyone can find this information anywhere else. This if the first time I have ever heard of any such thing.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm pretty certain he's referring to the room and board allowance for players living off campus. Room and board is part of the scholarship, but if they're not in university housing they get a check to cover their expenses.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    That won't cover rent on a college campus.

But, I am curious if anyone can find this information anywhere else. This if the first time I have ever heard of any such thing.
    lol Doug you don't actually think that do you? If you do, you haven't been to a college campus for a long long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    lol Doug you don't actually think that do you? If you do, you haven't been to a college campus for a long long time.
    I was curious about that too. In Bloomington, even a nice 2 bedroom place is around $900-$1,000. Split it with a roomate or 3, and it's pretty cheap.

That said, I don't think it should really impact the discussion of a player's "true earning potential."
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Ohio State football makes anywhere from $30-50M a year. A lot of that money goes back to supporting sports that lose money hand over fist. Still, the players should absolutely be fairly compensated and what they are getting now simply isn't enough at schools that truly rake in the money from football and basketball.

Don't get me wrong, I love college football and basketball, but the athletes are being taken advantage of, big time. Cut all sports from colleges. Stick with educating. NFL/NBA, get your own development leagues.
    Plenty are getting paid in some way. Just have the NCAA continue to look the other way and all will be fine.

14. Likes:

Captain13 (04-17-2013),Revering4Blue (04-17-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post

Those sports are generally paid out of athletic dept donations. Now I suppose it's possible that if you cut out all the non-revenue sports the athletic dept donations would be just as high and you could transfer the dollars to either a) the general student body or b) the revenue sports athletes, but both scenarios seem unlikely. College sports is a charade, but a lot of it's interest depends on that charade. However fair or unfair that may be.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...ase/54955804/1

According to this data, only the massive football schools have financially autonomous athletic departments. In 2011, my beloved Ohio University used $17 million from student fees to pay for athletics. That is a pretty hefty amount of money.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    It's been 5-6 years since I took it, but during college I took a class that got into sports and some of the economics. In that class we read an article that said Ohio State and Univ of Texas were the only two completely self supported Div 1 college athletic departments. It's been a few years but I think any college athletic departments that support themselves completely through revenue sports/donations are in the strong minority.
    I'd heard the same statistic (though, I'd heard it was OSU, Texas and Alabama) a few years back.

I'd bet that the explosion in television rights over the last few years has changed the calculus a little bit. The most recent data I can find is from 2008, and it looks like a lot of people roughly breaking even and a ton more losing money: http://espn.go.com/ncaa/revenue
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Certainly depends where you go to school. I had a friend going to school at Northwestern. Had 5 roommates. Rent was $5000 a month total. I have a friend who rents out a house in Clifton (U of Cincinnati). $2800 a month with 4 bedrooms and it isn't exactly "nice" or in a "nice area" (not that there are exactly nice areas in Clifton).

Turn Off Ads?