Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pujols' epic fail

Pujols' epic fail

I have observed his change of aproach over the last 3 years, becoming pull-happy and determined to smack homers. He is far less patient up there, trying to do too much. He dives at balls outside, and his strike outs are more frequent.

Yesterday he had the worst day of his CAREER at the plate. 0 for 5 with 3 GIDP. He was responsible for 8 of the teams 27 outs, and the only position player not to reach base.

Last year his BA dipped below .300 late in the season, and he finished the year 20 points below his career ave.

I think the Cardinals were smart not to give him that monster 10 year deal that he wanted. He is clearly beginning the down side of his career. At 31 (35 in Dominican years) it looks to me that he only has 2 or 3 decent years left in him.

I know the season is young, but Albert is not.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pujols' epic fail

Yeah he is clearly past his prime in my opinion, but he's still going to put up All-Star numbers for the next few years at least.

ITs only one game, he is still the best player in baseball.

I agree with all 3 comments above about his bad day, start of his decline, and yet he will still be an all star for several years. Oh and yeah, he is 35 in Dominican years, hilarious.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce32 View Post
    I don't see how you can say that. He WAS the best. He is now "among" the best.

Well we shall see how he does in the next month now that Holliday is on the DL. My prediction: mediocrity.

He was also a guy who put on 30 pounds of muscle in one year early in his career. His legs and torso looked unnaturally big there for a while. I have a feeling he's not going to age well and there may be more to the story than simply getting older.

I Love Birds

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    I have observed his change of aproach over the last 3 years, becoming pull-happy and determined to smack homers. He is far less patient up there, trying to do too much. He dives at balls outside, and his strike outs are more frequent.
    Not true. He hardly ever swings at the first pitch. Most of his hits last year were after at least 1 pitch was thrown and most were with an even count of 1-1 or 2-2. He can hit anything and he hits to all fields. Check out his spray chart. He does hit more to left and center, but that's common for a righty.

As for strikeouts, he struck out 12 times more last year than in the year before but other than his rookie season when he struck out 93 times, he has never had more than 76 strikeouts in a single season. That is phenominal for a power hitter. His strikeout totals are the last thing any Cards fan has to worry about.

Yesterday he had the worst day of his CAREER at the plate. 0 for 5 with 3 GIDP. He was responsible for 8 of the teams 27 outs, and the only position player not to reach base.
    He had a terrible, horrible, no good very bad day. But it was ONE game. One game does not a career make.

Last year his BA dipped below .300 late in the season, and he finished the year 20 points below his career ave.
    He struggled for a month, but the rest of his stats were right there were they normally are. Batting averages are not the most important stat. His down year would still be a career year for most players.

I think the Cardinals were smart not to give him that monster 10 year deal that he wanted. He is clearly beginning the down side of his career. At 31 (35 in Dominican years) it looks to me that he only has 2 or 3 decent years left in him.

I know the season is young, but Albert is not.
    Albert has said that he was never asking for a 10 year deal worth $300mil. He actually laughed when a reporter asked him about it upon his arrival to spring training. He said he has no clue where that rumor came from.

BTW, the Cardinals have done an extensive search into Pujols' background and have never once come up with a shred of evidence to suggest he is anything other than the age he says he is. He also took the citizenship test a few years back and had to give his DOB on that. He gave it as 1/16/80.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

Gotta admit, I think it's kind of a joke to see those three words grouped together as the thread title, lol. I wish when I epically failed, it involved finishing right near the top in MVP voting, lol.

NL Central champs

Here is a hit chart for Pujols at Busch Stadium:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/...hitchart/85809

From the looks of the chart most of his plays in the infield are pulled but in the outfield it is spread pretty evenly in left and center but not many hits are in left.

For comparison here is Ryan Howards spray chart at Citizens Bank Park who most consider a pull hitter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/...itchart/223779

Ortiz at Fenway:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/player/...hitchart/85214

Quote Originally Posted by Drugs Delaney View Post
    He was also a guy who put on 30 pounds of muscle in one year early in his career. His legs and torso looked unnaturally big there for a while. I have a feeling he's not going to age well and there may be more to the story than simply getting older.
    I never believed the man was on 'roids, but HGH, yes. For a long time HGH could not be detected....'till last year.

Last year was the year of the pitcher...should it be renamed the year of no HGH? Furthermore, Pujols' body has been racked with nagging injuries these last 3 years. He carries too much weight for his age, whatever that may be.

And that spray chart is very deceptive. It does NOT show how many balls he pulls foul. I have seen him pull 4 balls foul, then hit a single to right. That makes him a spray hitter?

I think we all know he is older then what his BIO says...

But Pujols is the Best Hitter in the Game without a Doubt.

He will probably be dominant the Next 5 years.

For those of you who want to trash him it's comical.

I Hate, and I mean Hate the Cardinals and I will still say he is the Best Hitter in the Game.

So I am NOT a Cardinals fan, and Love the Reds with all my heart...

But this is a silly thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I think we all know he is older then what his BIO says...

But Pujols is the Best Hitter in the Game without a Doubt.

He will probably be dominant the Next 5 years.

For those of you who want to trash him it's comical.

I Hate, and I mean Hate the Cardinals and I will still say he is the Best Hitter in the Game.

So I am NOT a Cardinals fan, and Love the Reds with all my heart...

But this is a silly thread.
    Best hitter in the game? If memory serves

he was like 14th or so in BA last year. How can he STILL be called the best hitter in the league? Votto gets my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Best hitter in the game? If memory serves

he was like 14th or so in BA last year. How can he STILL be called the best hitter in the league? Votto gets my vote.
    BA isn't the only statistic. Also he's done it over a longer period of time than Votto. I believe he also had more HR, RBI, and BB than Votto. This isn't trashing Votto by any means, but Pujols is clearly the best player in the game in my opinion, one season where he finished 2nd in MVP voting doesn't change that.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

A little premature to be announcing the end of Pujols career in a few years.

On the flipside, it is natural for a player to begin to decline in his 30's and I agree that he will gradually not be the player he once was or currently is. That's just age.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce32 View Post
    No No No!. He WAS the best player in baseball.

Turn Off Ads?