Turn Off Ads?
Page 34 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

Re: Official RedsZone Movie Thread (pt. III)

I watched "Forced Vengeance" last night. It was a 1982 Chuck Norris movie set in Hong Kong. Do I really need to advertise it more? It had everything you could want from that kind of movie. Wooden actors, terrible dialogue, horrific editing, and preposterous action. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had 7 or 8 rewind moments where I said, "Wait, what just happened? Did I just see that?" It was so good.

If you want to have some fun, read amazon.com reviews of movies like this. One guy wrote a review in which he completely changes the rules of word spacing while going on a side rant on the integration of Hong Kong into the People's Republic of China. I am convinced that half of the reviews are authentic and half are ironic plants by hipsters. Good times.

http://www.amazon.com/Forced-Vengean...rced+vengeance
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Saw Despicable Me 2 on Saturday. Pretty funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    I watched "Forced Vengeance" last night. It was a 1982 Chuck Norris movie set in Hong Kong. Do I really need to advertise it more? It had everything you could want from that kind of movie. Wooden actors, terrible dialogue, horrific editing, and preposterous action. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It had 7 or 8 rewind moments where I said, "Wait, what just happened? Did I just see that?" It was so good.

If you want to have some fun, read amazon.com reviews of movies like this. One guy wrote a review in which he completely changes the rules of word spacing while going on a side rant on the integration of Hong Kong into the People's Republic of China. I am convinced that half of the reviews are authentic and half are ironic plants by hipsters. Good times.

http://www.amazon.com/Forced-Vengean...rced+vengeance
    I'll be checking that one out as soon as possible. It sounds like one I watched recently called Miami Connection (also on Netflix, also from the 80's). That movie blew my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    I've seen a couple more, but they were rentals I could stop and start at my leisure. My attention span makes it tough to sit through an entire 90+ minute movie. Had I not enjoyed the book so much I never would have seen WWZ either.
    You don't have the attention span for movies but you read books? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    You don't have the attention span for movies but you read books? How does that work?
    That's a valid question I assume.

Books don't bore me I guess? That's the best "answer" I can give you. Sorry.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

More can be described in a book than in a movie or show. You can describe what someone is wearing,how they look, and their thoughts a lot better than showing them on film

Books are often made to be read an hour at a time, or a half hour at a time, or perhaps you're in a really good part and you stay up late and get 2 hours in. I know many on here probably read that and think, gosh I often spend 4-6 hours huddled into a book, which wouldn't surprise me, but most people I know don't put as much time in any 1 sitting into a book as they do into a movie in 1 sitting. Anyhoo, that would be my guess on how someone has the attention span to read a book, but can't get thru an entire 2 hour + movie.

on another note, took in Monster's University last weekend. I enjoyed, more than the 1st one I think. My wife definently enjoyed it more than the first one (and we both liked the first one) Should note, that our enjoyment of the first one relative to the current one may be enhanced or dimenished based on the fact that its on our DVR and one of our son's top choices of late for his "screen time" We've seen Monster's Inc. in chunks and pieces a decent amount over the last couple of months. Enjoyed the play on Animal House, Revenge of the Nerds and Harry Potter.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    More can be described in a book than in a movie or show. You can describe what someone is wearing,how they look, and their thoughts a lot better than showing them on film
    You can't tell what someone is wearing or how they look on a television or movie screen?

Their thoughts, I get that it only comes with a book though there are ways films can share that too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You can't tell what someone is wearing or how they look on a television or movie screen?

Their thoughts, I get that it only comes with a book though there are ways films can share that too.

You can but an author can go into a lot more detail than a movie or show will. Even with something as simple as clothing..Ive just always preferred the way the author describes a characters looks than a movie or book portrays them.

Some people might not like reading an entire page just on appearance when the author could just say he had a shirt on. Or just simple describing the way he put the shirt on compared to a movie/show just showing him put a shirt on. Its the little things that the camera cant show. Or you dont notice what its showing.

I guess its just a preference on whether or not you enjoy reading more than watching something

I saw The Heat last night. My wife loves it, I thought it was pretty funny.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    You can but an author can go into a lot more detail than a movie or show will. Even with something as simple as clothing..Ive just always preferred the way the author describes a characters looks than a movie or book portrays them.

Some people might not like reading an entire page just on appearance when the author could just say he had a shirt on. Or just simple describing the way he put the shirt on compared to a movie/show just showing him put a shirt on. Its the little things that the camera cant show. Or you dont notice what its showing.

I guess its just a preference on whether or not you enjoy reading more than watching something
    I haven't read for entertainment value in 20 years. Movies and TV are better and quicker. I read to educate myself. So it certainly is my preference to watch something rather than read about it.

With that said, I really doubt someone can describe to me in words the clothes someone is wearing and have it look in my mind better than it would actually look by me staring at them wearing the clothes. I just can't fathom how it would be any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I haven't read for entertainment value in 20 years. Movies and TV are better and quicker. I read to educate myself. So it certainly is my preference to watch something rather than read about it.

With that said, I really doubt someone can describe to me in words the clothes someone is wearing and have it look in my mind better than it would actually look by me staring at them wearing the clothes. I just can't fathom how it would be any other way.
    Read a chuck palahniuk book. He paints some vivid pictures. But just because you can't fathom it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I mean you said yourself you haven't read for fun in 20 years. And you can't be any older than 30 so ill take it as you don't ever read for fun. So of course we will have different opinions on this

And when shows or movies come out after a book. The book is always better. Because of the detail the author goes into. And I'm not the only one with this opinion

I think the reason books are better than the movies or shows based on them is because in the books it is much easier to explain what a character is thinking.

Turn Off Ads?