Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Could Bruce force Griffey to the bench next year

Re: Could Bruce force Griffey to the bench next year

If Griffey gets his 600th HR this season I wouldn't doubt if the Reds traded him at all.
    School's out. What did you expect?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I realize now it is probably more likely we will see Bruce on the bench in 2008, if the Reds don't decide to keep him in AAA the whole year.
    Bruce won't be on the bench anywhere. When it's his time to come up next year he'll be starting.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Bruce is really doing well in AAA: 2008 will be Griffey's last year if they don't pick up the option. Is it possible Jay Bruce could force Griffey to the bench at any time next year?
    For a second, I thought I had mistakenly stumbled onto the SunDeck when I read this question.

Griffey, Jr. would have to OPS South of .800 for anyone to replace him and send him to the bench.

Pencil Jay Bruce in as a starter in 2009, and you'll see an OF consisting of Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton and ?, due to the fact the Reds will have done something monumentally stupid as a franchise and traded Adam Dunn to someone for pennies on the dollar, or not have picked up his option.

2008 will be Griffey's last year as a Red, and barring injury, he'll see 140+ games of action.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    For a second, I thought I had mistakenly stumbled onto the SunDeck when I read this question.

Griffey, Jr. would have to OPS South of .800 for anyone to replace him and send him to the bench.

Pencil Jay Bruce in as a starter in 2009, and you'll see an OF consisting of Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton and ?, due to the fact the Reds will have done something monumentally stupid as a franchise and traded Adam Dunn to someone for pennies on the dollar, or not have picked up his option.

2008 will be Griffey's last year as a Red, and barring injury, he'll see 140+ games of action.
    That's pretty much a mirror image of my thoughts.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    That's pretty much a mirror image of my thoughts.

Rem
    I'll second that.

Bruce will be here in 2009 - if we were a SMART Organization - barring injuries (again) to Hamilton or Freel, as Jr's replacement when we DON'T pick up his 16.5M 2009 option.

UNLESS they trade Junior near the end of 2008 due to us being out of the race (unlikely given that we are competing right now with only 2 Real MLB-caliber Starting Pitchers, unless we don't pick up Dunn's 2008 option).

I have very little faith that the Reds will be smart enough to sign Dunn long-term to a friendly deal - TRY to get him to agree to a Home Discount of maybe 4-5Yrs, at about $14M per - and instead will let him walk or trade him for a bag of balls and some tarp covers in late 2008.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

there will be a trade, before anyone is forced to the bench. I think Bruce may get his chance because mid-season nect year due to someone's stint on the DL.

I thought it was a legitimate question. Griffey has had some down years, and also some years where he has injured most of the year. I am not expecting him to have a huge drop-off next year or him to miss much time, but it could happen. I now concede it is probably likely we will not see Bruce starting in 2009, but circumstances can always change things. I expect if the Reds can find a way to re-sign Adam Dunn, they will do it. I do think they will pick up the option next year because of Adam's good play this year. If the Reds did not trade Dunn this year at the deadline because there was not much of a return for him, I would not expect them to get much in the future. I am very impressed by Jay Bruce and would have liked to see him next year, but it is clear now it will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    there will be a trade, before anyone is forced to the bench. I think Bruce may get his chance because mid-season nect year due to someone's stint on the DL.
    Short and Sweet, and my money on what is the most likely scenarios.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Benching Griffey was my first thought. I just don't know if that would be in the best intrest of the team. I think that Griffey will be shopped this offseason.

I love Griffey but I would deal him this offseason and lock Dunn up long-term and go with a future outfield of Dunn, Bruce, and Hamilton.

Turn Off Ads?