Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 59 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Feedback/Questions

Re: Site Feedback/Questions

So we can no longer copy and paste full articles from other online sources? Can someone further clarify this new rule, how far does this go, is it newsprint only or what?

If it is what I think I am reading just go ahead and kill forums and blogging alltogether. So we can go back to having to visit 100 sites a day to get all the info we want.

**Disregard I somehow managed to overlook the link provided in the original sticky. For others who haven't noticed here is the link to the sticky in the ORG.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80688
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-09-2010 at 02:43 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    So we can no longer copy and paste full articles from other online sources? Can someone further clarify this new rule, how far does this go, is it newsprint only or what?

If it is what I think I am reading just go ahead and kill forums and blogging alltogether. So we can go back to having to visit 100 sites a day to get all the info we want.

**Disregard I somehow managed to overlook the link provided in the original sticky. For others who haven't noticed here is the link to the sticky in the ORG.

I'm a fan of the new policy.

Providing a link to the article with a specific discussion point highlighted seems to me like a great idea that should promote discussion. All too often anything and everything Reds tends to get cut and pasted (alot of times without even a talking point) and IMHO, it clogs threads and confuses discussions.

Is it really any harder to click a link?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

I know you said to disregard, but it's important to keep in mind that we don't realistically have a choice in the matter if we want to keep this site up and running.

Is the new rule limited to just articles or is posting blog updates from Fay, Sheldon, Trent, and others off limits too?

I like the new policy but for different reasons. I'm not a fan of a 500 word column being pasted and no comments about the column made by the one posting it. I think OK, so what do you want to discuss from this article?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Is the new rule limited to just articles or is posting blog updates from Fay, Sheldon, Trent, and others off limits too?
    Based on what I've been told, unfortunately, the answer is that it applies to blogs, too, but if anyone has any information that contradicts that, please reply.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I'm a fan of the new policy.

Providing a link to the article with a specific discussion point highlighted seems to me like a great idea that should promote discussion. All too often anything and everything Reds tends to get cut and pasted (alot of times without even a talking point) and IMHO, it clogs threads and confuses discussions.

Is it really any harder to click a link?
    It's a little more complicated than that jojo but since Boss says we have no choice in the matter there's no reason to go on about it for me.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Based on what I've been told, unfortunately, the answer is that it applies to blogs, too, but if anyone has any information that contradicts that, please reply.
    When another website picks up one of my articles from my blogs or websites I am thrilled. It exposes my website to a new audience and leads to more traffic, improved search engine rankings, more subscribers to my mailing lists, improved social media buzz and more money in my pocket.

You could contact the owners of the blogs and websites to see if they are interested in the free publicity and pagerank that Redszone sends their way. They would be foolish to not enjoy it. Just explain the benefits they receive from the attention they get from Redszone trackback links and ask their permission if you feel you need it.

Secondly, you may find that CPM ad networks and/or affiliate ads generate far more revenue than Google Adsense while also being of more interest to your readers.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

As someone who produces original content for a website, I fully understand where the people are coming from who don't want their full content copied/pasted. Lets pretend that 1000 people visit Redszone per day that read an article on here that was originally posted on the Enquirer site. Lets say that Enquirer site has 2 ads on that page. If those 1000 people weren't visiting the Enquirer and were only reading it here, you are talking about 2000 ads per day not being 'sold'. That is only about $3-4 bucks per day if the person is only reading that one article. But say that even 20% of them read another article, now we are at $4-5 per day. Not much, but it adds up to $1500 a year or so. Now think about it being done on Bengals, Reds, Bearcat and Musketeer fansites, not to mention during the HS football season. Now we are talking about something to the tune of $6000 if its just one site with 1000 viewers a day reading articles from another site. Thats a decent chunk of money we are talking about now, much less if its happening with more than a few sites for each of those teams.

As for having to visit a site 100 times a day to find the info you want, I would suggest you subscribe to twitter and find a good RSS reader and they will do the work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As someone who produces original content for a website, I fully understand where the people are coming from who don't want their full content copied/pasted. Lets pretend that 1000 people visit Redszone per day that read an article on here that was originally posted on the Enquirer site. Lets say that Enquirer site has 2 ads on that page. If those 1000 people weren't visiting the Enquirer and were only reading it here, you are talking about 2000 ads per day not being 'sold'. That is only about $3-4 bucks per day if the person is only reading that one article. But say that even 20% of them read another article, now we are at $4-5 per day. Not much, but it adds up to $1500 a year or so. Now think about it being done on Bengals, Reds, Bearcat and Musketeer fansites, not to mention during the HS football season. Now we are talking about something to the tune of $6000 if its just one site with 1000 viewers a day reading articles from another site. Thats a decent chunk of money we are talking about now, much less if its happening with more than a few sites for each of those teams.
    In the vast majority of Redszone threads with links to an Enquirer article only about 200-300 people max even view the thread. Most of them only skim the thread and certainly don't take the time to to click on a link to another site to read an article. Even if they do they are highly unlikely to click on a money-making ad at that site. So the monetary impact on the Enquirer is negligible. Most of the people that view the Redszone thread will do so long after the linked article has been removed from the visible areas of the host website (the Enquirer removes articles after just one day or even just a few hours and moves them to the archives and oblivion).

The link to the article from Redszone however lives on forever, so the Enquirer is receiving page rank and authority status from Redszone long after the original article is invisible from the Enquirer website. That is a great deal for them. The traffic of visitors sent from Redszone to the Enquirer is far, far less valuable than the permanent links and pagerank and authority status passed to the Enquirer free of charge -- not to mention the free advertising of their content. They probably understand this, which is why they have not complained about the use of their articles here.

Visitor traffic is far less important than the links themselves, and that is the key that most people are unaware of. The links have beneficial side effects that far outweigh the potential loss of a few visitors.

For a blog like C. Trent's or others these valuable links are even more critical and important than to an established site like the Enquirer.

Keep in mind also that most of the people reading an article here have already visited the Enquirer's site (like I do) or else would not otherwise have gone to the Enquirer's site anyway, so it is not like Redszone is diverting traffic that otherwise would have gone to the Enquirer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    In the vast majority of Redszone threads with links to an Enquirer article only about 200-300 people max even view the thread. Most of them only skim the thread and certainly don't take the time to to click on a link to another site to read an article. Even if they do they are highly unlikely to click on a money-making ad at that site. So the monetary impact on the Enquirer is negligible. Most of the people that view the Redszone thread will do so long after the linked article has been removed from the visible areas of the host website (the Enquirer removes articles after just one day or even just a few hours and moves them to the archives and oblivion).
    You don't have to click the ad for it to make money. Every time it loads, you get paid X amount of money. Point still is, copy/pasting entire articles does cost them money. Probably enough in a year to pay an entire persons salary. My site for example gets a click through rate of roughly 0.1%, or about one click per 1000 ads loaded. Most ads aren't for people to click right now, but to get the product in their head so later when they see it at the store, they know about it and choose that product over ones that they haven't seen all over the internet.

Keep in mind also that most of the people reading an article here have already visited the Enquirer's site (like I do) or else would not otherwise have gone to the Enquirer's site anyway, so it is not like Redszone is diverting traffic that otherwise would have gone to the Enquirer.
    Clearly it is stopping people from going there, as noted by Mario-rijo's post who didn't want to go to another site 100 times a day to get the info.

Yes, the linkage does help some in terms of sending people to the Enquirer's site. How much, I can't be certain because I don't have the stats for Redszone, but Redszone does indeed cut into their business some as well. While I am sure there is some trade off of traffic coming from Redszone and taking away by Redszone (for readers who now won't go there). They are so big though that Redszone giving them hits isn't going to matter because they figure that people will come there anyways. They just see places posting their material and costing them money. Whether its right or wrong, I don't know. But it is what it is for them, and when it comes to someone else posting their copyrighted material, they have every right to step in and say 'knock it off'. They didn't contact RZ, but other places have in the past for it and that is why Boss/GIK took the action they did once the Enquirer started publicly cracking down on sites.

test.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Wrong thread! But, I can't seem to be able to delete this post.
    Last edited by ChiSox; 07-05-2010 at 01:40 AM.
    My 4 favorite teams in order:
    1. Chicago Blackhawks
    2. Chicago Bears
    3. Chicago White Sox
    4. Whomever the Cubs are playing

No, once you make a post here, you can't delete it as of yet. Typically when someone posts something, then decides they want to get rid of it, they edit, and replace whatever they said with "nm" meaning "never mind"

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

1. test1
    2. test2
    3. test3

• test1
    • test2
    • test3

Turn Off Ads?