Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clear Channel made cuts today.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Radio died for me when WOXY went under a couple years ago

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Clear Channel made cuts today.

Yes, another tragedy. My radio listening switched to OXY in the mid eighties as I my tastes changed, but that was about the same time that I think WEBN was losing it's edge. I don't really blame them because they certainly remained a hit with my demographic in Cincinnati, which loved what they were playing; Billy Squier, Ozzy Osbourne, Don Henley, Heart, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister. I just found all that stuff to be boring and went from Led Zeppelin and the Who to the Clash and Black Flag. What I discovered was the developing campus oriented and "alternative" music scene, which seemed much more like the music WEBN started with in the 70s (the spirit of it, I mean).
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Yes, another tragedy. My radio listening switched to OXY in the mid eighties as I my tastes changed, but that was about the same time that I think WEBN was losing it's edge. I don't really blame them because they certainly remained a hit with my demographic in Cincinnati, which loved what they were playing; Billy Squier, Ozzy Osbourne, Don Henley, Heart, Quiet Riot, Ratt, Twisted Sister. I just found all that stuff to be boring and went from Led Zeppelin and the Who to the Clash and Black Flag. What I discovered was the developing campus oriented and "alternative" music scene, which seemed much more like the music WEBN started with in the 70s (the spirit of it, I mean).
    I went the same route. AOR stations got stale playing the same old stuff, so I switched to listening to alt rock and college stations. Clear Channel bought out the AOR stations and made them worse and then bought the alt rock stations and changed their format. Now it's all programmed by computers with playlists chosen by record companies and music listeners fleeing to other outlets. I remember the Christmas episode of WKRP where they show a future radio station with Herb Tarlek at a desk next to a computer running the station. Seems oddly prescient now.

I wish I could afford to resubscribe to XM, but for now it's NPR and an alt station run by high school kids for me.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I wasted four years in college to get that broadcasting degree.

College radio was fun though

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Clear Channel has absolutely ruined radio for the most part.

Well, I think over the air radio has declined drastically across the board, even the stations not owned by Clear Channel. Years ago I used to do some volunteer work with WAKW, a Christian station in College Hill. Back then they had a mix of music and syndicated talk programs. One of the times I was in there one of the DJs showed me their music library and it was quite impressive. He was also picking out whatever he wanted to play, just putting CDs in there and picking whatever songs he wanted to play.

Now they've even gone to the point of the commercial stations. They're part of some larger group and they play the music they're told to play, basically the songs that are released for radio, and all the talk and teaching programs are gone. It's really gone downhill in my book. I pretty much just listen to XM or whatever I have on my iPod.
    I was in radio for nearly 20 years. Started interning as a kid...got my first weekend shift when I was 16 and was a PD by the time I was morning sidekick by the time I was 20...my career progressed and I made it into middle management with a LARGE RADIO CORPORATION.

All that to say, I agree with you...to a degree. The wheels were set in motion in the late 70's with Jimmy Carter and then the rails were greased by Ronald Reagan and his deregulation's. It was actually the FCC appointed by Reagan that waived the requirement for station owners to

1) Be Local by operating their stations from their city of license for a minimum of 15 hours per week minimum.
    2) Not have a controlling influence over local media...usually (not always) this meant that there was a weighted evaluation given to each media in a city including print, tv and radio.

All of that is true but the reality is that media is changing. Nobody goes to radio for new music anymore..they go to the net...nobody goes to the newspaper anymore for news...they go to the net. Clear Channel knows this is the truth which is why many of their stations are nothing more than glorified promotional vehicles for their IHeartRadio App...that is they way they are going to go n the next 10 years...they will need to start selling off their properties because they bought high and now those debts are coming due.

I read recently that they (Clear Channel) have to increase revenue by 4% each of the next 5 years in order to meet their debt requirements which is why the cockroach of the radio industry changed from the traffic reporter to the sales rep.

While Clear Channel SUCKS and is the DEVIL they are no worse than the other operators out there like Radio One, CBS, Emmis and on and on. Radio is dead, local radio nobody cares if there is a local radio anymore and that is why they can fill the stations with a steady stream of nothing but syndicated and voice tracked crap.

I LOVED radio but it is dead...I left in 2002 because it just wasn't fun anymore being a computer programmer more than a radio programmer.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I saw this article in Cincinnati Magazine about WEBN on Friday and thought it would be interesting to post here.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/fe...spx?ID=1791400
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?