Turn Off Ads?
Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Album Oriented Rock (AOR)--A dying radio format.

Revering-feel free to steal the thunder; there aren't two paragraphs to write about what's posted. I was just posting some Friday night bonus stuff...

When in Rome would not have been on AOR, most likely- it's just one of those tracks i was feeling at the moment....
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 11-02-2013 at 11:36 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

The ensuing Astrodome controversy brought this lost AOR hit to mind.

Living Colour - Open Letter (To A Landlord) (1989)
    Album: Vivid

The follow-up to "Cult Of Personality" and often forgotten, just as several AOR radio tracks from the band's heyday have become.

Tune in tomorrow for another lost AOR radio track.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 11-10-2013 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Bad link
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

4. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-12-2013),Dom Heffner (11-11-2013)

Here's a (most likely) forgotten Rock Radio One-Hit Wonder from the late '90's.

Pound - Upside Down (1999)
    Album: Same Old Life

Once again, tune in tomorrow for one more lost AOR track for the week.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

6. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-11-2013)

Here's a classic AOR hit that falls under the "forgotten" label due to the fact that many current Rock radio station program directors are asleep at the switch.

Translation: Even though this track is instantly recognizable, it is ridiculously underplayed today.

Ronnie James Dio - Holy Diver (1983)
    Album: Holy Diver

'Nuff said!

We'll do this again next week.

Adieu from R4Blue.

8. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-12-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Revering-feel free to steal the thunder; there aren't two paragraphs to write about what's posted. I was just posting some Friday night bonus stuff...

When in Rome would not have been on AOR, most likely- it's just one of those tracks i was feeling at the moment....
    Hey don't sweat the small stuff Dom, we're just having fun here and exploring music. It's all good man. Actually, there were so many variations of AOR back then, there's really no telling what markets were playing what, especially before the early 80's. By the early 90's most DJ's had a printed music log they had to follow which was created by the program director, although hired consultants started having more say in what was added. Over the last several years, the large corporations have taken over so many stations that the local program directors are now required to simply log onto the corporate network and download the music log for the next day. It's really sad. If you are ever on a trip and keep hearing the same songs from city to city, that's why.

10. Likes:

cinredsfan2000 (11-14-2013),marcshoe (11-12-2013),Revering4Blue (11-12-2013)

R4B, I don't think I ever heard a bad Dio song. Everything he touched turned to gold. I saw a documentary awhile back of him laying down vocal tracks in the studio and he was so amazing to watch in real time. He wasn't laying down take after take before they got a keeper. His voice and power came so naturally for him. RIP Ronnie.

Whenever I think of a Dio video my mind goes back to the MTV days.

Dio - Last in Line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M11Lcn5cXoI

12. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-23-2013),Revering4Blue (11-12-2013)

OK I just posted a reply with one simple Dio video link and got the same message saying it has to be approved by a moderator first. Is there anyone here who can please look into why it keeps doing this to me and no one else before I have a heart attack? There's got to be something wrong with this account because it still says on the left that I have "0" Posts. Thanks to whoever can help.

15. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-19-2013),Revering4Blue (11-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    A blast from the past, and yet, another track that cookie-cutter classic rock radio stations rarely play anymore.

As an early Elementary School youngster in the mid-'70's - the time of that Midnight Special broadcast - viewing that show defined staying up late in those days. It also brings back memories of the pre-cable days with TV stations that signed off around 1 A.M with either snow or thy dreaded test pattern with that annoying "woooooo" sound.

17. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-23-2013),westofyou (11-15-2013)

I talked to an old fellow radio buddy that I hadn't caught up with in several years yesterday and he turned me on to this amazing and funny song that is similar to Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. I don't know how I missed this song growing up (especially since it's over 13 minues) but judging from the comments section, although it came out in the late 60's, it was still being played in the late 70's on KAAY Little Rock and lots of other AOR stations including the one I grew up listening to, 98Rock Tampa Bay.

Batten down the hatches...here's Jaime Brockett with The Legend of the USS Titanic
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XFYMjkFYPg

"What do you need all that rope for?" "I just carry it"

19. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-23-2013),Revering4Blue (11-19-2013)

The Dio stuff is great guys. He was one of those guys i always enjoyed that I wouldn't ordinarily...the goblin/dragon/wizard thing wasn't my cup of tea so I had to listen and not watch.

Great voice, great songs, thanks for posting!

Just wanted to take a minute and wish you guys a happy and blessed Thanksgiving. In case the cookie cutter stations have forgotten about this one, here's the old AOL standard for turkey day.

Have a seat and don't forget to put your napkin in your lap. Here's Arlo Guthrie with his full 23 minute version of Alice's Restaurant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjKF7aQthcQ

22. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-29-2013),Revering4Blue (11-30-2013)

One of the stranger AOR stories is Jefferson Starship. Sandwiched between Jefferson Airplane and the absolutely poppier Starship, this incarnation of the band had some pretty terrific AOR stuff. I hope i'm not retreading here:

Find Your Way Back

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj4gqJzlIvc

Winds of Change

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7dJ3a-U6WQ

Stranger

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9CGT47LQnPs

No Way Out

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQijT1lcR68

Love these tracks. It all went commercially successful with the release of Knee Deep in the Hoopla, and we as fans were forced to embrace the sell out or separate them into eras, as is the case with many bands of the era.

24. Likes:

Dave Collins (11-30-2013),Revering4Blue (11-30-2013)

Even as popular as they were -- specifically "Find Your Way Back" and "No Way Out" -- I rarely hear them on cookie-cutter Rock Stations today.

Piggybacking on Dom's great post...

Jefferson Starship - Be My Lady (1982)
    Album: Winds of Change

Along with the aforementioned title track, this track also gained a lot of AOR airplay back in the day.

KBC Band - It's Not You, It's Not Me (1986)
    Album: KBC Band

This short-lived band, formed by former Jefferson Airplane/Starship members Paul Kantner (guitar and vocals), Marty Balin (vocals and guitar) and Jack Casady (bass), produced an album in '86 that featured the aforementioned huge AOR hit and another AOR hit titled "America", while as equally popular, IMO, pales in comparison to this one.

IMO, this is the best performance by Marty Balin -- Airplane/Starship, solo, or otherwise.

26. Likes:

Dom Heffner (11-30-2013)

Terric post. I saw KBC at Timberwolf- good show, I was probably a little young to get the most out of it. speaking of Balin, always loved this song:

Marty Balin- Hearts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dIF74lH4KPM

Turn Off Ads?