Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Re: Paul Daugherty says Brandon Phillips is very available

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    That is from the wikia, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but unless someone has something from MLB or elsewhere that says it is 10 full years or greater service time, I think it is pretty clear Brandon would have 10/5 rights by now.I really think it's 10 years with service time, not 10.000 years or greater service time.
    Everything is based on service time, not how many parts of seasons.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

As far as I'm concerned most everyone is "available" if the price is right. But I fully expect to see a bounce back season from Phillips. This is really the first year we've seen a significant drop off in production. And prior to being plunked on the hand he was raking. If his "down year" is 100 rbi's, an over .700 ops and gold glove defense...I'll take it. Get him out of the cleanup slot (prefer him around the 7 slot) and he'll produce.

4. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2013)

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    There's a reason Hamilton is in the OF. If he were an MLB infielder, he'd still be playing there.
    True, but kind of miss the old days where they just found a place for you if you could do other things well.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    That is from the wikia, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt, but unless someone has something from MLB or elsewhere that says it is 10 full years or greater service time, I think it is pretty clear Brandon would have 10/5 rights by now.I really think it's 10 years with service time, not 10.000 years or greater service time.
    As others have said, it absolutely is service time.

Article XIX (A) Consent to Assignment:

Code:
    The contract of a Player with ten or more years of Major League service, the last five of which have been with one Club, shall not be assignable to another Major
    League Club without the Player’s written consent.
    "Major League Service" is defined in Article XXI (A) as what we understand to be service time.
    Last edited by Brutus; 10-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I think with Brandon Phillips it may just be an "all of the above" situation as to why management might be looking to move him. Bad contract, declining skill set, contract complaint, ugly blow up with C. Trent, etc. I don't know that we have to figure out what one reason it might be. Bottom line it isn't hard to see why BP might be wearing out the front office.

I think they could pull a reasonably decent return for BP. As others have said 100 RBI and GG defense will sell to some.

8. Likes:

RichRed (10-07-2013),Tom Servo (10-07-2013),wlf WV (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Not really surprising. I actually like BP, but I think it makes sense to trade him now if they can find a taker. Not sure who would be interested with that contract though. The Angels? The Yanks?
    If Cano exits stage left...

I don't necessarily have a problem with shopping Phillips, though I'm skeptical he can draw a return that will make near-term sense for the Reds. Also, his glove is going to be tough to replace (especially if the team wants to look for an offensive upgrade to Cozart).

Yet if the actual reason for this is for the soap opera nonsense in Daugherty's column, then Jocketty needs a smack to the head. That's a dumb way to run a team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

11. Likes:

TSJ55 (10-07-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I don't necessarily have a problem with shopping Phillips, though I'm skeptical he can draw a return that will make near-term sense for the Reds. Also, his glove is going to be tough to replace (especially if the team wants to look for an offensive upgrade to Cozart).

Yet if the actual reason for this is for the soap opera nonsense in Daugherty's column, then Jocketty needs a smack to the head. That's a dumb way to run a team.
    Agree. Why would you let it out that a player has worn out his welcome if you want to get rid of him. I'd be telling the world that he's the best thing since sliced bread. Dumb for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Agree. Why would you let it out that a player has worn out his welcome if you want to get rid of him. I'd be telling the world that he's the best thing since sliced bread. Dumb for sure.
    That could be to help try and stem potential backlash from fans. Put the seed out there that he has an attitude and that he's holding the team back and then maybe they're not as upset if you trade him.

Potential market for Phillips - Braves, Nats, Mets, Dodgers, Giants, Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, Royals, Twins, White Sox, Rangers. I definitely understand why the Reds would kick the tires on that kind of market.

But if the Reds deal him it had better be part of a bigger plan to make the team better and a potential WS champ in 2014.
    Last edited by M2; 10-07-2013 at 04:23 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

15. Likes:

Joseph (10-07-2013),joshua (10-08-2013),membengal (10-07-2013),Old school 1983 (10-07-2013),pahster (10-07-2013)

Nothing changed.
    I don't think that's the case. Some of the stuff he said this year may have upset the front office/ownership. He also seemed willing to talk about the team in ways his teammates may not have appreciated. And of course there was the outburst v. CTR.

Bad year off the field for BP, and a poor second half on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    If they're going to trade him, it's more because of money. Even then, he's currently worth the money they're paying him. But at the same time, he probably won't be worth that money for too much longer so if you're doing to trade him, do it before his production suffers so much you can't find anyone to take it.
    If they trade him because of money, why in the world did they sign him to that contract in the first place?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

REDREAD (10-08-2013),wlf WV (10-07-2013)

Fangraphs lists BP as the 12th most valuable 2B in MLB last year (based on WAR).

The 3 above him: Walker, Scutaro, Kendrick
    The 3 below him: Gyorko, Kinsler, Altuve

So it would appear that he is an average or maybe slightly above average 2B. I don't think his contract is that bad. I think he has value if the Reds want to make a trade.

It seems to me that the 3 guys the Reds could trade/would want to trade that could make a meaningful shakeup of the team would be...
    1) BP
    2) Bailey. Not that the teams wants to trade him but because he seems to not want to stay a Red after 2014
    3) Chapman because the team could go with a more new school rather than old school approach to the 9th inning

The other guys on the team either have minimal/zero/negative trade value or I see as keepers (Votto, Bruce, Cueto, Latos, Cingrani, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    If they trade him because of money, why in the world did they sign him to that contract in the first place?
    John Fay says it is because Bob liked him being such a fan favorite.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...i-all-too-far-
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    John Fay says it is because Bob liked him being such a fan favorite.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...i-all-too-far-
    And that's changed, how?
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?