Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RZ - MiLB Reds Hitter of the Year

Resident PED Expert

RZ - MiLB Reds Hitter of the Year

Thought we'd do an open discussion before I post a poll this weekend. Who is the Reds Minor League Player of the year in our opinions...

Here are the candidates in no particular order:

Billy Hamilton - .683 OPS - 95 SB - 23 XBH

Not typical numbers for a POY candidate, but, he brings so much to the table as far as speed, pressure on the other teams defense and has won multiple games based on his flashes of talent alone.

David Vidal - .838 OPS - 43 XBH - 10% BB Rate - 79 RBI

Very solid 3B prospect in his first full season. Only 10 Errors on the year in his first full year as a third baseman.

Brodie Greene - .783 OPS - 41 XBH - 36 SB - 79 RBI

Not a normal candidate, but, has carried the Bakersfield team offensively with all the promotion while playing 3 different positions.

Eric Campbell - .946 OPS - 57 XBH - 79 RBI - 11.2% - 15.2% K Rate

Oldest of all the candidates but has put up the best numbers. That may be due to him playing at levels beneath him. Leads all Reds Minor Leagues with a .946 OPS

Yaz Grandal - .885 OPS - 43 XBH - .390 OBP

Elite catching prospect who shows both power and patience at the plate.

Henry Rodriguez - .841 OPS - 50 XBH - 30 SB - .320 BA

INF prospect who continues to hit and hit and hit. Can play 3 spots but profiles best as a Second Baseman. Has pop and baserunning skill.

Neftali Soto - .904 OPS - 52 XBH - 12.63 HR per AB

Elite Power prospect who finally learned to hit LHP. Among the leaders in HR in all of the Minors.

Denis Phipps - .910 OPS - 52 XBH - 14 SB

Actually hit almost the same number of HR's, 2B and 3B's as he did in 2010. But found a batting average to go with it. Probably a BABIP driven year but impressive none the less.

Devin Mesoraco - .855 OPS - 53 XBH - .371 OPS

Had a solid all around year. #1 Catching prospect in the minors. Was runner up last year.

So who would get your vote and why?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RZ - MiLB Reds Hitter of the Year

Good thread topic...

Phipps was .328 BA in Carolina and .362 in Louisville. I'll cast my vote for Phipps. Lot of good candidates.

Great question. No clear winner here.

I'll go Mesoraco.

I've been impressed with the lot of 'em but I'd go Mes (AAA all season) then Oh Henry (age appropriate level). Be tough to justify giving it to anyone else IMO.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

cough* Torreyes * cough

It's not his fault the Reds decided half a season of Devin Lohman was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    cough* Torreyes * cough

It's not his fault the Reds decided half a season of Devin Lohman was a good idea.
    He should at least be in the conversation. OPSing .867 in the Midwest League where the average OPS is a back-of-the-napkin estimated .692. Three years younger than HRod. Puts the bat on the ball so he can take some pitches for Hamilton to steal. Not that Slidin' Billy needs many. And all he does is hit everywhere he goes. The conversation is for best hitter THIS YEAR. Not the player that projects out the best.

All the Reds minor league hitters stats in one convenient place. Thank you, Baseball-reference.com.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...=CIN&year=2011

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

In terms of hitting, it is tough to tell Denis Phipps no. The guy is hitting .339. BABIP inflated or not, he is going to win the award that the Reds give out for either player of the year or hitter of the year.

And seriously, Billy Hamilton should be nowhere near this award. A hitter of the year nominee with a sub .700 OPS? Come on.

1. Soto

2. Phipps

3. Mesaraco

4. Grandal

Of course, Hitter of the Year (thread title) and Player of the Year (opening premise) are two different things. I'll assume the "Hitter" term was meant to differentiate everyday players from pitchers. The only reason I bring that up is that the distinction could make the difference between Mesoraco and Phipps, with Mes getting extra points as a catcher. It probably does for me, even though Phipps is regarded as an outstanding outfielder.

1. Mesoraco
    2. Phipps
    3. Torreyes
    4. Soto
    5. Campbell

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    1. Soto

2. Phipps

3. Mesaraco

4. Grandal
    I second the Soto vote. 30 bombs is quite a feat. Now let's hope someone can teach him how to take a walk this off-season...

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I second the Soto vote. 30 bombs is quite a feat. Now let's hope someone can teach him how to take a walk this off-season...
    If he learns just a little bit of taking a walk, he will have a long major league career ahead of him..

Assuming you limit the award to true prospects, Soto has my vote.

Guy had dropped off the prospect radar and has had a Mesoraco-like resurgence. Now he's a Top 5 prospect in the organization heading into next season.
    Last edited by Benihana; 08-31-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Did I understand correctly that he's hit 25 of his 30 home runs since late June? He'll definitely be interesting to watch. I'm assuming he's ticketed for Louisville next year with a possible Spring Training invite?

For me it is Soto. I don't know if anyone has the actual park factors in Zebulon, but having been there I know the outfield walls are very high from gap to the lines and it has to supress power to some extent. So 30HRs is a LOT.

As a point of reference in 2009 while playing in Zebulon a 22yo, Juan Franciso, no slouch in the power department, hit 22HRs in 437Abs. If you take Soto's current production at 379ABs and extend it to 437ABs you are looking at a 35HR season at the same age, in the same park......and unfortunately the same strike zone judgement.

Turn Off Ads?