Turn Off Ads?

Thread: The light for small markets

The light for small markets

What the Rays have been able to accomplish in recent years is truly remarkable. honestly, give it a thought. you're boston's GM and you have 160 million to work with. and you lose to a team that has only 40 mil and some change. the rays have it figured out. i remember after last season thinking the rays would have to rebuild again. with so many players leaving for FA, i thought the run was over. but here we are. so the question is: what are they doing right?

Is it Joe Maddon? He's a hell of a guy, one of the most well-liked managers in the game, and clearly does a damn good job.

Is it Andrew Friedman? I don't think anyone has drafted better than this guy. On top of that, the money the Rays have is used almost perfectly. Look at where they spend it and the production they get. No money is lost. The reds have a lot to learn from this guy's approach.

Did they just get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle with this bunch of players?

What is the deal?

Regardless, I see the Rays and the voice in my head that says, "the reds just don't have enough money to compete," vanishes. They're in the AL east for christ's sake. Really though, the point of this post was maybe to inspire some hope. Looking at what happened tonight made me realize that anything is possible. From someone who is not terribly optimistic about the Reds position going into next season, I think this story reassures my faith that this could work out. Here's to hoping for the best and cracking open a brew in the honor of next season. it's awhile away, but i'm excited about possible scenarios for next year and the future of the club.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The light for small markets

I know this sounds crazy but you know who should be an inspiration for small markets- the Yankees!

After he lost out on Cliff Lee, Cashman went out for a total of $8.55 million guaranteed, acquired a starting catcher (Russell Martin) two starting pitchers (Freddy Garcia) and (Bartolo Colon) a productive utilityman, (Eric Chavez), and an effective middle reliever, (Luis Ayala) all of whom had major contributions to the Yankees' winning of the AL East.

Add 5 guys like that to the Reds and they are back in contention.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

No. I think the Rays show that starting pitching is the key. They lost like 11 guys last year and still win the Wild Card.

I'm very impressed.

I think you probably identified at least a couple of reasons for the Rays' success: A creative, active GM, and a tremendous field manager. I would add also, a very talented scouting organization. The Rays have been drafting and signing a lot of talented players for a while now. Some things lacking with the Reds, IMO.
    Last edited by Old NDN; 09-29-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    No. I think the Rays show that starting pitching is the key. They lost like 11 guys last year and still win the Wild Card.

I'm very impressed.
    Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Old NDN View Post
    I think you probably identified at least a couple of reasons for the Rays' success: A creative, active GM, and a tremendous field manager. I would add also, a very talented scouting organization. The Rays have been drafting and signing a lot of talented players for a while now. Some things lacking with the Reds, IMO.
    Spot on.

I'm very impressed.
    The Reds have 1 very good pitcher (Cueto) one up and coming good pitcher (Leake) and a pitcher who can eat innings and keep you in most games which all staff's need (Bronson). Our issue is we have 3 big very unkowns in Wood/Homer and EV.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

One difference between Tampa and Cincinnati is attendance and fan loyalty. The Reds attendance isn't like the Yankees, or Phillies, or Cardinals, or Cubs where they show up in droves. BUT.......the Reds are in that second tier of fan loyalty.

I think this impacts the ability to let guys walk or trade them when they get expensive. Cincinnati fans don't handle that very well. They like familiarty with players. But then again, maybe that's why they lack attendance in Tampa? Maybe. But they still manage to win.

It's always the pitching.

Starting pitching, a solid bullpen, and at least one offensive stud. The Reds have a shaky rotation, an inconsistent bullpen, but we do have Joey Votto.

Rays have a #1 in David Price, a number 1A in James Shields, and their 3,4,5 guys are solid if not potential aces themselves. The Reds have a #1 in Johnny Cueto, a number 3 in Mike Leake, and a bunch of 4,5 guys make up the rotation.

The Rays have a solid bullpen, not light years ahead of ours but better. Our bullpen is routinely over used because our starters get shelled and have to leave after four innings.

The Rays have an absolute beast in Longoria. It is no suprise to me that they started rolling when Longoria started producing offensively.
    We have Joey Votto, a stone cold killer.

The major differences I can see are starting pitching, and maybe bullpen. Oh yeah and a manager that can correctly identify his butt from a hole in the ground.

If you scout well, draft well, coach well, don't sign over the hill veterans to silly contracts, avoid injury problems, manage in game situations properly, prepare for your opponent, improve your game through training and practice, and all of your players play with a little fire you might be good. I am envious of Rays fans. Their organization does things the way they are meant to be done.

One difference between Tampa and Cincinnati is attendance and fan loyalty. The Reds attendance isn't like the Yankees, or Phillies, or Cardinals, or Cubs where they show up in droves. BUT.......the Reds are in that second tier of fan loyalty.

I think this impacts the ability to let guys walk or trade them when they get expensive. Cincinnati fans don't handle that very well. They like familiarty with players. But then again, maybe that's why they lack attendance in Tampa? Maybe. But they still manage to win.
    This is a good observation about Cincinnati fans. I think you're right on about us liking familiarity.

I would say that it wouldn't matter in Tampa either way. Florida is notorious for having bad professional sports fans, and that particular area in Florida is loaded with out of state old folks that went there to retire.

Turn Off Ads?